Author Topic: Bonneville Salt Flat Reality Show...  (Read 42024 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Bonneville Salt Flat Reality Show...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
  Steve, how dare you steal the storyline for my autobiographical book: "Retirement Savings Or How Visiting Speedweek Has Drained Them".
  The remarkable thing is that having run a VISA decal on my car since 1998, they still haven't caught on.................................................
                                                                                                              Bob         :cheers: :roll: :cheers:

I vote for Bob to be one of the subjects, the drama is already built in! :-D

Spencer, I too watch some of these shows but understand as a hotrodder we are a little leery of how these things turn out. The current crop of FAKE "reality" TV is a great example Moonshiners, the Amish garbage etc. The general viewer loves to see the drama and will run to Wally World and buy an OCC shirt but real car and bike folks would rather watch good fabrication, building, the back story etc.

There are some great documentaries on Vimeo that show the struggle landspeed racing is. Also, the BBC did an awesome job following our Brit pals last year. Take a look at these.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »
"that show the struggle landspeed racing is".

Understatement Trent. I haven't even got halfway to a finished car and I throw the towel in on a daily basis. Yup, the "Paulies" are funny. I figure there is no reality in Reality TV. :-D Build a bike in 5 days?. Big difference between assembly and building. I watched both the BBC shows and that's reality.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
BOB starts with a B, ends with a b, Drury, I know one thing for sure, your not old enough to have owned that car since it was new.  If I knew how to post pictures I would show you me, 5 years old sitting on the hood of my dads. 

Does it help if I did tell the tech at speedweek last year, that he should back off of your glass, cause it is laminated.   :cheers:

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
Spencer I'd love to help you out, but.... There is a couple of obstacles for me to overcome first. (1) I might live a bit outside of your area of operations which really shouldn't be that big of a hurdle for a bucks up production company. (2) I have this silly thing called a mortgage that keeps me awake at night.
 If I could spend the money I spend on "This old House" on my project I would have been racing 5 years ago. As it is I have a partly welded frame, and a pile of parts... 4 engines that I just can't decide which one to scrape the grease off of, and a Wife that is fast loosing patience with me. Other than that.... I'd be happy to help, and have had some (Not a lot, but some.) experience with Film Crews and know not to look at the camera unless asked to, and not try to beat the bejeesus out of the Producer when I'm asked the same question 6 times.

Smitty     :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
The neighborhood was just getting clean and tidy after the “World’s Fastest Indian” craze, and now Jerry Springer moves in . . .
Some of you guys might need to turn your brain on before you start flapping your gums.
What did the Movie do for Salt Racing?? It inspired new people to come to the salt in droves to visit ($$$ to SCTA) & to build new vehicles to come & run from all over the world & that's needed growth in our sport.
We've got Intrepid Mining sucking the life out of the salt Flats & the BLM that can't or won't do anything about it.
Show me where publicity like this would hurt our situation!
These guys can come up here & eyeball my "Tiny Budget" AA/BFS 4WD liner any time they want.
I'm interested in advancing our sport.
  Sid.

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
How about Boddington's permanent moterhome scar on the Salt from another "Reality" show? How many peaple told them not to take the motorhome off the coned area? That's real!
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
Anyone building something with a propeller on it? Want to document the day to day so noone can distort the truth?
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
We are searching for mom & pop style average Joe people who's passion is to build / modify a car to race at Bonneville. The passion of these people are the attraction. It's their drive and dreams and how they achieve their dreams that is the show. The reality of the show is the blood sweat and tears that men, women and sometimes families that have poured into the machines which will achieve their need for speed. While there are many nay sayers, it's the people who try and fail that have the true victory.

Actually, the original treatment for this show is for the 130 & 150 circuits. However, we are fine looking for anyone that has the passion to build and accomplish their dream. We just want to share their journey with the world.

Spencer.
WEEINC
Willard Entertainment Enterprises INC

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
Spencer,

Sid would be a good one to follow, he is about a year away from finishing his liner, he eat breaths and poops gear head.  He has plenty of other projects to entertain the film crew.  He lives in his shop just like Burt did, his shop is on the side of a mountain.  He would have to come to my place to watch himself on TV, cause he don't have one.

Oh and yea, you would have to have a good bleeper.  :-o

Steve     
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
The neighborhood was just getting clean and tidy after the “World’s Fastest Indian” craze, and now Jerry Springer moves in . . .
Some of you guys might need to turn your brain on before you start flapping your gums.
What did the Movie do for Salt Racing?? It inspired new people to come to the salt in droves to visit ($$$ to SCTA) & to build new vehicles to come & run from all over the world & that's needed growth in our sport.
We've got Intrepid Mining sucking the life out of the salt Flats & the BLM that can't or won't do anything about it.
Show me where publicity like this would hurt our situation!
These guys can come up here & eyeball my "Tiny Budget" AA/BFS 4WD liner any time they want.
I'm interested in advancing our sport.  Sid.

Sid, so am I.

And I'm probably the last person here who hasn't seen "WFI" in its entirety, so I'll own that.

The point I want to stress is this.  

Reality television is nothing more than hours of video EDITED into whatever the producer wants to make of it.  The final product may or may not cast the racer in a light that will be good for their team OR the sport.  

Here's an example of what could happen.

The cameras are running.  A minor infraction gets a write up in the log book.  That in and of itself doesn't make for good television.

But out of hours of footage, a sharp editor can invent a story making it LOOK like someone is having a much worse problem with tech than is actually occurring.  The narrator asks, “Will this be the end of the line for the team?”, the tension builds - A QUICK BREAK TO A COMMERCIAL TO MAINTAIN SUSPENSE - a recap of what we just saw with fast clips back and forth to gawkers who may or may not even be anywhere near the event being depicted, A NON CONTEXTUAL series of bleeped expletives ensues, and a whole mountain is created from a mole-hill - which is precisely what REALITY TELEVISION does.

ALL THE TIME.

I just fabricated a reality TV plotline that to anyone who has watched much of it knows is completely feasible.  Context is routinely thrown to the curb by directors and producers when making "REALITY TELEVISION", and a racer will have NO CONTROL of the final cut - and neither will the SCTA-BNI.  Not only does this process leave the racer vulnerable to ridicule from everyone watching the show, it also leaves the sanctioning organization open to ridicule by the unwashed masses who don't understand what they just saw on their televisions.

With no guarantee of CONTEXTUAL RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY, any reality show built on the premise of what we do is more likely to be a disservice to racers and the organizations that put these events together than a help.

I see a lot more potential downside than upside in a deal like this – and thus my sarcastic tone.

So Sid, I'm pretty sure my brain was on, and while I openly admit it was set at full sarcasm, my comments and thoughts are based in my contempt for the contempt that reality television shows have shown for their audiences and their participants.

:cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:25:21 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
We are searching for mom & pop style average Joe people who's passion is to build / modify a car to race at Bonneville. The passion of these people are the attraction. It's their drive and dreams and how they achieve their dreams that is the show. The reality of the show is the blood sweat and tears that men, women and sometimes families that have poured into the machines which will achieve their need for speed. While there are many nay sayers, it's the people who try and fail that have the true victory.

Actually, the original treatment for this show is for the 130 & 150 circuits. However, we are fine looking for anyone that has the passion to build and accomplish their dream. We just want to share their journey with the world.

Spencer.

Spencer, that sounds like the pitch that might land you some folks to follow.  A little of that framing on the first post might have saved you a little of the wire brushing :-D 
Building LSR vehicles is slow work, there are a few guys on here that are making amazing progress in a short time (6 months) and are shooting for August.  130 and 150 cars should build faster, if someone has the cash to do it start to finish while you hang around.
Good luck with the project.  Hopefully you watched the BBC part 1 and 2 from last year... that really showed how humbling the salt can be. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jon

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
Spencer,

Sid would be a good one to follow, he is about a year away from finishing his liner, he eat breaths and poops gear head.  He has plenty of other projects to entertain the film crew.  He lives in his shop just like Burt did, his shop is on the side of a mountain.  He would have to come to my place to watch himself on TV, cause he don't have one.

Oh and yea, you would have to have a good bleeper.  :-o

Steve   

Spencer

The drive to visit Sid would be worth your time.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Spencer,
Don't listen to the naysayers. They are car guys and can't build fast or go fast. You said you want to follow CAR builds, but why cut out the motorcycle side of LSR? You should include at least one M/C build because that is almost half the contingent at any LSR event. Racing motorcycles have just as much viewer appeal as cars.

Thanks and good luck to your project.
Don Pearsall.
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fastman614

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
Having been one of the featured teams in the National Geographic documentary, Salt Flat Speedway, I can attest to a lot of the comments above as containing grains of truth....

The simple facts, as seen by this builder/racer, are that there is A LOT of "boring drudgery" involved in car builds ....as well as a lot of time NOT spent building the cars as real life gets in the way - things like grandkids being born, birthdays, weddings and travel to be there for these events - and this is the exciting stuff..... the forty to fifty hours of work a week to earn the $$$$ to buy supplies like tubing, sheet metal, welding gas and rod or wire as well as ALL the other stuff we need for a well stock shop at home.....  We are NOT talking about getting a car built like the "fantasy" bike build shows could produce a finished custom chopper along with as much drama as any "Dallas" episode was/is capable of portraying  .... all able to be neatly packaged into about 43 running minutes.....

Now, about the drama aspect of it ..... we have, at present, two running (and record holding) racecars with a third one under (re)construction/serious rebuilding..... we have a team member who has "major attitude" and several other team members who are no longer "sucking it up" from the one with the attitude.... it could be a good plot for a long running reality show.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
Mornin', Don.

I'll make this my last best effort.

There’s a difference between being a naysayer and doing one’s due diligence.  And if this were being pitched as a documentary, I’d be much less incendiary in my comments. 

Part of my abhorrence to the genre of reality television is based on my personal encounters with the producers of “Extreme Home Makeover”, comments made by Clint Black after his dealings with the producers of “Celebrity Apprentice” and my regular dealings with independent film makers in my current position, managing an AV rental company – I deal with people in the business regularly.

During the “EHM” debacle, the producers came in, explained a sad-sack case of a family they wanted to help, and my employer’s company was promised high visibility if they were to donate light fixtures to the production. My employer agreed, the administrative assistants to the talking head “designers” came in, picked out a huge selection of lights, half of which were not used, and some of which were sent back opened, broken, or with missing parts.  My employer's company got a one second flash credit at the end of the show on the same screen as all of the other suppliers, a press release which garnered a 2 paragraph acknowledgement in the Waukesha Freeman, a couple of counter displays which we put up on our sales kiosk, and that was about it.

During the season finale in which Clint Black was on Celebrity Apprentice, Black commented to Donald Trump about the way the editing was making people look bad.  According to an examiner.com interview, gleaned from an interview in the Huston Chronicle, Black said this –

“ . . . the Texas native reports that although he knew working on the show would likely be no picnic, he underestimated the extent the program’s creators would go to for maximum drama, including misleading editing that Black thinks made him look bad and the unkind words of other contestants on the show.
"I knew it was going to be difficult," Black told The Chronicle. "But I didn't realize exactly what I was getting myself into."

Additionally, in an interview he gave Anderson Cooper, Black went on to state -

“For me, the competition ended at the end of the first episode -- I stopped trying to win, and my focus became: uphold my character, don't let anyone draw me into behaving in some way that I wouldn't be proud of later." 

As to the production in question, I don’t want to besmirch Mr. Willard, but having dealt with film crews and producers, some of the questions you must ask and have firm, verifiable answers for, regardless of who is producing the show, are these:

1. Who is your customer?  Independent producers are just that – independent.  Is this a spec piece?  What have you produced that has been broadcast before?  Are they bringing their own resources to the table, or are they bankrolled by others?

2.  Who intends to air this production?  Who is the producer pitching this piece to?  Is there a cable channel interested?  Who will have final say over the edit that is broadcast?

3.  Have them show you what they’ve had broadcast before.  How long have they been doing it?  Will they be working with the same folks they’ve worked with in other productions?  How do their productions look, and how do they present the people involved in the production?

Being on television is all fine and well, but being misquoted, or poorly presented, or contextually misrepresented can sour the experience for a very long time.  And once it’s shot, there will be financial pressure brought to bear on the producer to form it into something saleable, which may or may not be in the participant’s best interest.

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: