Author Topic: the new guy  (Read 10314 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I'll bet Scott can tell us.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 12:24:55 AM »
How many primary bike entries were at Bonneville Speedweek last year and how many classes are available. The car guys seem slighted and they need to be reminded again.
" You can't expect a program that big to be without it's problems."  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

chicorugger

Re: I'll bet Scott can tell us.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 02:50:59 AM »
Quote from: JackD
How many primary bike entries were at Bonneville Speedweek last year and how many classes are available. The car guys seem slighted and they need to be reminded again.
" You can't expect a program that big to be without it's problems."  :wink:

whats the problem, too many people, to many classes? Why are the car guys so salty?

(pardon the pun)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
PERHAPS
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 04:54:39 AM »
Things would be different if they could sit on top and enjoy the fresh air and the view.
When you consider the huge number of classes and count the number of entries and runs available,
 you will find something is too fat.
It is a lot like 150 entries all show up at the local track of any type and because everybody is in a different class,
 everybody goes home a weiner, or a whiner, or something. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NUMBERS MEAN THINGS
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 11:49:03 AM »
Rice is good in moderate amounts, but too much and you might choke.
Another illustration would be 100 bikes could run for 25 years without competition or 25 bikes could run for 100 years. I think I got it.
You HD guys are just screwed, but that is another story. :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Divided
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:25 PM »
The point is that with way fewer than 100 bike entries and more than 2500 available classes the importance of the individual record has been diluted like 50 gallons of water to a pack of Kool Aid.
This year the rules changed so as to further restrict the bike entries. That is documented on another forum here and you can see the reactions. :wink:

Offline firemanjim

the new guy
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
Chico,just come out and run your bike at the sept WOS event and try out the 130 club to get your feet wet. Cheap to start and the requirements are not as stringent.
A quick breakdown of engine and body classes---to run in the production class you must have stock exhaust and bodywork,any internal mods except bigger bore. No nitrous. Stick an aftermarket exhaust on it and you are bumped to Modified, add nitrous or turbo/supercharger and you are in "Fuel" class versus "Gas" class(must run event gas to be in "Gas" class).And on engine class sizes,the class listing is the biggest your motor can be,so in the MPS 1000 cc class your motor cannot be larger than 1000cc.
Your bike fits in the MPS(modified partial streamlined) class unless you "go naked"--strip the fairing off of it,putting you in M class.
Pay particular attention to the leathers rule as your leathers cannot have any cloth/fabric panels anywhere,and very limited amount of ventilation holes. Helmut needs to be Snell 2000 rated.
I am over in Vacaville,so pretty close to you.I am planning on being ready for Speedweek this year as 2005 was a disaster with all the rainouts.Be happy to pit with you.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
the new guy
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:52 PM »
Chico,,
My buddy Russ Mack bought a wrecked bike off e-bay and $450. Warranty motor  out of "Denver" off E-bay---
Built "Bonneville Elementary Skool"---ran production partial in two meets we worked the speed up 17 mph by low bucks hot rodding stuff and broke a 12 year old record---you can have ---lots and lots of fun as Glen says----BUT we were prepared with a game plan for the second meet---we pretty well knew what we had to do---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
New guy
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 08:58:12 AM »
Okay, Chico, I need to point out a minor error in what firemanjim said (above)...just in case.

Running nitrous will put you in "fuel" class, yeah, but adding a turbo or supercharger won't necessarily do that -- but either WOULD put you into "blown" class.  

Gas (class):    You run event gas, which you buy at the track from the vendor, arriving at the fuel truck with an empty tank which the vendor fills and seals.  If you get into impound the inspectors will check the seal and sample your fuel to make sure you didn't subvert the rules and add something like Gatorade or hydrazine or whatever.

Fuel:  You run anything you choose -- nitrous, nitromethane, bug juice, window washer fluid, event gas, gas from your weedwhacker.  No sampling, no sealed tank.  Note that you can run event gas in fuel class -- if you see a soft record in fuel class and your motor is happy with what you've got in the tank, switch classes and go make a run.

Blown:  Forced induction -- turbo, supercharger, or vacuum cleaner fan.  A ram air funnel with internal vortex generators does not put you into blown class.

Unblown:  No forced induction.  There's been lots of discussion on the fact that some folks refer to nitrous as "blower in a bottle", but the rule stands -- the addition of nitrous oxide induction does not put you in blown class.

Event gas at Bonneville is supplied by ERC and is available in five or six "flavors" - some leaded (110 octane up to at least 117), some unleaded (octanes in the 102-104 range, I think).  Rick Gold (the ERC guy) also dispenses alcohol and nitromethane (but DOES NOT HAVE nitrous) and will give advice on fuel chocie if you're not positive what you need.  For the last year or so a vendor has been showing up with nitrous for sale, and at least a couple of racers bring "mother" bottles and will fill your bottles for you if you ask real nice.

Just a technical point there, Jim.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

the new guy
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »
Not much to add , just checking my new avatar put up by my generous car owner fast-honda-jim

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
the new guy
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
Not much to add , just checking my new avatar put up by my generous car owner fast-honda-jim
DW

How about a larger picture to go along with the small one, so we can see who that really is :wink:  :wink: .

c ya, Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the new guy
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
Sum
Ittakes a wide angle lens for that.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline firemanjim

the new guy
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 01:56:17 PM »
Oops,my omission.Thanks,Slim.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TARGETING
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 02:07:29 PM »
Why make the target any easier ? :wink:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
New guy
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »
Don't encourage Dan, Sum -- the little photo makes it look like he's getting ready to drop trou, turn around, and moon the camera.  Do you really want a bigger picture so you can see all he's got to offer?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the new guy
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »
Dan's not so bad, there is an old lakes and salt racer that brags about his team name. BUTT FACE RACING,runs a modified roadster. His daughter drives it and she's a doll. I guess the old man spends a lot of time looking in the mirror. I think he in in the SDRC club along with JackD. :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah