Author Topic: How much HP to move 1 sq. foot?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
How much HP to move 1 sq. foot?
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:01:14 PM »
Does any body know how much HP it takes to move one square foot at 200mph and 250mph?  I cant seem to find my notes with the calculations.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline yellow banana

• New folks
power required for 1 sq ft
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:48:57 PM »
Power required depends on shape and size.  For example, a round flat plate requires less power than a square flat plate of the same area.  A rain drop shaped piece would require less power than either of the above flat plates of the same area.

A good source of drag data (Cd) is a book by S.F. Hoerner called "Fluid-Dynamic Drag (1965).
yellow banana

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
HP for one sq. foot:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »
The formula for aero HP is:
HP= Cd x (Frontal area, (in sq. feet)) x (speed (in miles per hour))cubed and divide this number by 146,600.  9Rember that it is only the MPH that is multiplied by itself 3 times, i.e. cubed)So for a 1 sq. foot area with a Cd=1 at 100 mph the HP would be: 6.82 HP.  There is a slight difference when you get to higher altitudes as the density of the air is less, but if you are looking at big speeds it doesn't make much difference. There are a number of books available that give general Cds for different shapes.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline interested bystander

hp vs mph
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »
As usual, great informative reply Rex!

A really SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND book. My '78 version is like, hand stapled together, is The Automotive Aerodynamics Handbook by Henry Clyde Landa. If you can find this GEM it's an enlightenment. Ya probably have to have passed 8th grade math. If you didn't you probly can't find El Mirage or Wendover, so don't bother!

Besides Traction and Friction and Hydrocarbons and Gravity (did I miss anything?), all other influences regards Land Racing ventures directly or indirectly deal with AIR and its properties, both external and internal!

Think about it!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)