Author Topic: Contact with SCTA-BNI Office subj: Log Book availability  (Read 14328 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Contact with SCTA-BNI Office subj: Log Book availability
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
The results of the open book test that gathered information from just this forum are as follows:
1. The log book and associated sticker are designed to work together and record the inspection results for that vehicle (think serial number) only.
2. Why would a vehicle log of results be useful for a entry that has never had a result ?
3. The seemingly high cost of the book has nothing to do with cost or profit motive , but rather make it more important for you to not forget to have it along.
 If they were $2, I might have 10 of them.
4. Focus on the rulebook and how it applies to your ride.
 Help is available with that but not much is available to fill out the log.
You are kinda on your own with the first information entered in the log but SCTA will do their best to give you all the time you need. 

WHAT DO I WIN ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 02:35:13 PM »
Thank you, sir.

As a result of your unwavering faith in your fellow man and subsequent assistance, you have been selected by your friends and neighbors for an all expense paid trip to SEA rematch games! LOL :-D

Hey, I really appreciate the assistance. I am even anal about check lists and pre flight checks, too. :wink:

The real joke of all this is that my concern with the Logbook is just one of many - I probably won't even get the wreck to the salt. HA. And if I do make that milestone, the fervent hope is that it passes tech without too much an example of rejection for "unsafe at any speed". :roll:

Regards to All,
HB2
Reapplying to the State Department for Remedial Course Four - "Tact and Negotiations"
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »
With the advent of this site for the rule changes and the inclusion of the inspection sheet for your type of vehicle easily printed from the SCTA-BNI site you should absolutely have not surprises during the inspection process. Last year book is adequate until you recieve your new one. I personally like to see those first 3 pages filled out. Infact I would like to see the page filled for the current meet too with all the correct signatures but some are too busy with the BS to do that..

As a 20 year inspector, I currently go down the list on the sheet inspecting my own before I leave home. Normally I would use one from El Mirage  but I now use the one on the net.

I have watched some of the competitors follow down on their own sheet as we do their car.....

Now If we could only do something about the lookie-loos under the inspection tent the whole process would go a lot faster and easier. Same with when you are done. Take your vehicle back to your pit area have a cold one then return the finish the paper work at registration. Bring an additional cold one for waiting in line............ I hope to see some changes this year in the process for those who have run before...time will tell   Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:22 PM »
Harold does bring up at least 1 question that we did not answer. WHY can't the log book be sent to someone?

My thought would be the SCTA wants to install the sticker and not have someone put it in a bad position, or they just don't want books with numbers floating around with people who "might" someday have a vehicle.

I think some of you picture the SCTA like NHRA or NASCAR. They are a professional race organization with millions (or billions for one) available. Picture the 50 year old knitting club that has been meeting at Emily's house since forever. Now you get the picture.

As a volunteer organization I just think they don't want any more work than they have to. That doesn't mean it won't happen.

I purchased a log book this year at El Mirage when the vehicle was mostly parts. They didn't ask any questions other than "Wheres the money?" Anybody can buy one.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 08:01:06 PM »
Hey Harold,
I'm also building a bike and a car for Bonneville.  I now understand  that it's mainly for the inspectors to make correction notes etc.   For my own peace of mind -  and to help answer anyquestions an inspector may have I will keep a build log with photos reciepts communications etc.  One place to keep all the build info, advise and rule interpritations.

BTW -  watch it who you are calling gentlemen -  I take that as a personal affront!

Carl "gentle my ass -  I'm going kicking and screaming into old age" Johansson

Gentlemen of the Salt,

First, I recognize and acknowledge the chastisement and advice.

Because that most of you have substantially more experience with this stuff than do I, your inputs do not fall on fallow ground. In my presentation of what I see/saw as a problem that should be easy to resolve, I did not intend to either demonstrate "attitude" or messenger target profile.  :?

Although the subject material seems very trivial to present to the president, I will do so and hope that does not earmark a problem for me and my piddly efforts. The presentation of the potential solution will be "fair and equitable" and intended to same some time for all.

Although this interest is targeted to having my own vehicle on the salt, it is not my first trip to Bonneville nor many other national/international events.

As for the comments about the military: I was truly lucky enough to be an operator that somewhat specialized in getting over/around the red tape of chairborne folks that generated the slowdown of more effective field operations. Thank goodness it was skill level that established target acquisition and solutions, not filling out DOD/DOA Form XX. LOL :lol:

Thanx again for your interest/comments.

Regards to All,
HB2

Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

ModelTSteve

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »
Think of the log book as a diary of what has happened to the car. It is like an airplane log book. The vehicle may have been through several owners, spun out a few times, set a record, etc. It is a legal doument that must be signed for and stays with the car. It is a lot better than trying to get information from somebody at the bar in the Peppermill who suffers from CRS! I myself have never been to the bar in the Peppermill, but do have a slight case of senior CRS! When I am working the line and send someone up to get a log book and the number sticker I tell them to let an inspector put the sticker on. We are up grading a car that had the sticker put on the steering box (a Franklin box with a nice supporting arm out to the right) and a great place that is easily seen to put the sticker. The box will not be going back in the car and the sticker can't be seen when it's under my work bench. The box is not for sale! Last year we inspected something like 320 cars in two days- How many does NASCAR do? Maybe 45 or 50?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
If the logbook and associated sticker was sold without immediate application to a real entry on the spot, it is in conflict with the reasoning behind it in the first place.
If you lose one it can be replaced and you can start over like a new vehicle.
 What if an entrant just threw it away because the inspector from a previous event entered something the owner/ operator didn't like ?
Money is not the most important product for SCTA.

"The foolish make the best victims."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
Jack,
I read and re-read what you wrote and I still don't know what you meant.

Sorta like that old saw " I know you think you heard what I said, but that is not what I meant" kinda deal.  :lol:

Anyhoo, since a previous suggestion was to think of the thing as an aircraft logbook......Now that is logbook information that I can understand. HA Fill it out as necessary and sqawk the items that the ground crew needs to address, 'cause pilots shouldn't touch stuff they don't understand. Such as the IFF does not work in OFF...LOL

I will learn as I go, but I am going slowly and evidently, foolishly as well! :-D

Do the guys with 50cc bikes even have to have a logbook? I guess it is written in much smaller font size?

Best Regards to All,
HB2

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »
Having been a pilot and user of an associated logbook since 1964, I have some idea of their value and how important it is to be used correctly.
Incorrect use  not only defeats it's purpose but is dangerous to others.
Correct use will produce correct results.

Don't take that to be mean but take it to be sincere.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
Jack,
I read and re-read what you wrote and I still don't know what you meant.

It takes time  :cry: , don't give up now  :wink:.  I've been reading his stuff for a couple years now and I'm probably up to a 30%-40% understanding rate :evil:.

I haven't given up and neither has Jack  :-D,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »
Their is quite a difference between playing dumb and a dumb play.
A good student will quickly spot the type and respond accordingly.
 30 to 40 % is really pretty good. LOL.
An old timey racer once told me that he is 15 years old just like me with all the same desires.
The difference was that he had 50 years more experience with the time or the money to make it happen.
I didn't write it on my hand but I did reach a conclusion.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 09:24:50 PM »
Jack's replies are pretty obscure at times.

You just have to unscrew your head and put it on backwards like Jack's, then everything becomes crystal clear. :-D

Or was it the meds? Damn, I can't keep things straight.

If you are hip, and have been watching the scenery go by for the last 40 years or so, especialy the racing scenery, then Jack's comments make a lot more sense. Somebody should be collecting Jack's pithy sayings for a book. Good money making opportunity!

Just for giggles, I ran Jack through the Dialectizer:
Deir be quite some difference between playin' dumb and some dumb play. Slap mah fro! A baaaad student gots'ta quickly spot da damn type and respond acco'din'ly. Slap mah fro! 30 t'40 % be real there. LOL. An old timey raca' once told me dat he be 15 years old plum likes me wid all de same desires. De difference wuz dat he had 50 years mo'e 'espuh'ience wid de time o' de bre'd t'make it happen. 'S coo', bro. I dun didn't scribble it on mah' hand but ah' dun did reach some conclusion. 'S coo', bro.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »
See? There ya go!
Ya ran it through the Dialectizer backwards to it's original format.

"The best way to learn to sail straight is to look at your wake. "
"The best way too learn to sail fast is to spot a fast one and trim your boat like his."

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
Roger the comments on the importance of a properly used logbook. That is what started me up in the beginning - I am really nuts on check lists and those type details. Like to have fun as much as anybody and more than some, but like to get down on the details before the fun.

This forum is as much fun as bench racing, but without the need to wear seatbelts or hipboots.

Regards to All,
HB2

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 12:08:05 AM »
Harold-don't foresake the hip boots. Or do so at your own peril.
rht