Author Topic: I-70 west of Denver is CLOSED  (Read 2441 times)

Offline sodbuster

I-70 west of Denver is CLOSED
« on: August 03, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »
FYI, I-70 west of Denver is closed for those headed to the salt. Just giving those traveling from the east and south a heads up, to figure out an alternate route. There was a mudslide and boulder's blocked the Colorado river.

Chris
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline gowing

Re: I-70 west of Denver is CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 02:36:44 PM »
yep!
I live in the area and it's pretty bad.
Mudslides have closed I-70 a few times this year already.

The I-70 detour route (thru Craig, CO) isn't any fun, all of the big trucks are being routed that way.

They have also had to close some of the alternate routes thru the mountains this summer due to mudslides, flooding, ect..

AND Hwy. 50 has DAILY closures between Gunnison and Montrose due to construction.

Expect delays and detours if you are planning on crossing the Rockies in Colorado.

If it were me... I would avoid the hassle all together and take I-80 through Wyoming.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:59:11 PM by gowing »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Departing from St Louis on Thursday morning.  I'll take I-70 across MO to Kansas City, then head North and it will be I-80 for me, all the way from Lincoln, NE to Wendover.

Steve
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline aircap

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 12:23:42 AM »
This will inconvenience more than just salt racers.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 11:17:49 AM »
In Denver... news reported open this morning.... for how long is undetermined....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RogerL

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »
Better double check that news, Denver Post reporting I-70 through the canyon will be closed for weeks. The pics I have seen would indicate it is not opening anytime soon.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
I guess you can't trust tv these days... I not going that way only because things change hourly in glenwood canyon...
 edit Just checked CDOT... closed indefinitely they reopened the detour... not i70
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:52:19 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:42 AM »
I 70 will be closed for several days minimum.  They can't even get the debris removed to see how much road damage there is.  One report talked about lateral forces that may have moved the elevated road structure.  If that is the case, it will be a major rebuild.

When I left Bonneville last year, my wife warned me that I 70 was closed due to huge fire in that area . I had to take I 80 home - not a huge deal.  In one year, that whole area had be devastated first by fire and now by slides from the fire damaged area. 

Do not even consider taking the detour if you are pulling a trailer.  It is two lane most of the way and not very big rig friendly.  Adding the large increase in traffic and it is a mess.  If you are just in a car and want to see some neat scenery, you  could take US 40 all the way from Winter Park area to just past Park City, UT and intersect I 80 at the top of the ridge.

TAKE I 80!  That is the route I will take even though it add several miles for me - I live not too far off of I 70 west of Denver.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:59:58 AM by Beltguy »
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm