Author Topic: HUGE Thanks Seldom Seen Slim!!  (Read 5729 times)

Offline sodbuster

HUGE Thanks Seldom Seen Slim!!
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:24:10 PM »
I don't post or chat over here much anymore, but I do read the board a couple a times a week.

Slim, I just wanted to say Thank you for the announcing at the salt and for letting my 11 year old son Henry "EAT BEEF" Nelson say 'Hi' in the announcer booth. Also, thanks for the masks and hopefully our little donation will keep your lights on for a little bit.

Thanks again for keeping the audio lights on at the salt.......hopefully someone gave you a break and you were able to venture down to the starting line.

Chris Nelson
Kansas
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
Re: HUGE Thanks Seldom Seen Slim!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »
I too do not post much, but read every day. 

Jon did an amazing job and was in the booth from sun up to almost sun down.  He even was on pit police duty one night.  Add to that the potentate of potty responsibility and the man is truly dedicated. 

I bought one of his knives (plus a little extra for keeping the lights on) and I will treasure it as a special souvenir of my visit to the salt.

I have been coming to the event since 1990 (missed a few years but made many) and his commentary gave me a lot of information that I did not know.

Thanks a ton Jon

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline capn_r

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
I've been lurking for a few years on the forum (I think this is my first post!) but I want to toss out big Thanks to Slim as well. I will be in contact for some swag also soon. Thank you Sir!

Offline toclub

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 06:54:03 PM »
We were not able to be at speedweek this year after 50 straight years. Thanks jon for making my week and letting us live every minute. Hope the donation helps. Ed Carter #7272

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 07:49:24 PM »
Slim who is this guy Slim your speaking of. OK just kidding :laugh: Slim once again you kept us all well informed and at times amused I don't know how you could possibly speak all day long every day of the event its just amazing. When a backup run attempt feel short your response was the same as the team disappointment.  Thanks for all you do we all truly appreciate it.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jodar

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »
Might as well pile on here, Jon. I enjoyed the conversation and such, and can assure you my high-profile Landracing.com mask got plenty of favorable attention. Rock on freaky bro :-D

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:14:13 AM »
Us too, Without a car to race this year we became spectators and thoroughly enjoyed the social part of Bonneville and this was greatly enhanced by the radio broadcast you did. We spent early days wandering the pits and socializing there. Once racing started we watched from the staging lanes and listened to your broadcast. I enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere at the short course. I especially like the obscure music you play during the dead air times.  Marcia says HI!! Thanks for the entertainment and information! See you next year!

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 12:46:19 AM »
One more for Slim! :clap
Thanks for the commentary, those of use not able to cross the border really appreciated it.  :-D

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 07:54:00 PM »
Maximum thanks to Slim for putting the Salt Flats action out into the ether for the whole world to share! And I have to say I think he does his best work solo, how he can keep track of that much for that long is just amazing! I got to listen from a rural hilltop thanks to a cellular connection on my iPad when Jon talked about his dream of being able to put a stream into people cars so they could be part of the salt flats action and how long it took to get there. The Pepperoni Bros. have been involved in some early equipment schlepping back when things didn?t run quite as smoothly.
Those of us who couldn?t be there really appreciate his valiant effort.
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 03:16:53 PM »
Yes, Thank you slim!  I left Monday afternoon and enjoyed listening to the broadcast the rest of the week!
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
I guess it's time to thank all of you for the support you've given me and landracing.com.  I was flabbergasted by everything that came my way recently to help keep the site running the way it has been.  I think I'll thank you by letting you see a bit of correspondence that came my way in late July and the first part of August.

I got an email in July asking if I wanted to sell the Forum.  The company would run it along with a bunch of other forums they run, I guess.  I'd never heard of buyer - could have looked it up but didn't bother.  I asked "How Much would you give me?" and they named a number.  I responded with a kinda snotty WTF, and they doubled the offer.  I said no, and then they said:

"Hi Jon,

Wanted to follow up on my last message. Could you please tell me what sales price you have in mind? I would like to take it up to my team.

Thanks."

I sent this back:

I'm not especially interested is selling out my racers and viewers - as I would view a sale to anyone who is not an experienced land speed racer.  If you are seriously interested in buying the Landracing.com Forum - which purchase would require you to buy the entire site from me - you'll need to make an offer that allows me to salve my guilty conscience.  You are not anywhere near that level at this point, and since you approached me - it's up to you to decide just how much you want the site and base your offer on that.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, this week - SpeedWeek - is the busiest week or two of the year for the Forum.  Check out the activity these days and run it through your offer estimator software.  I'll be awaiting any further contact with you.  If you've reached the end of your budget for acquiring the landracing.com Forum -- thanks for the ego stroke that tells me I've done well with the Forum.

For the sake of the discussion, the offered amount - is pretty close to the amount of $$ that you racers and lurkers  kindly contributed during SpeedWeek buying knives (still have some!) and masks and sending Paypal donations.

Thanks!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Thanks for letting us know about the effort to buy this forum Jon. It seems to me that the only reason someone would want to buy the site (i.e. pay money for it) is that it would be an investment. That means they would want to monetize it by displaying advertisements like you see on Facebook and thousands of other forums and websites. I am glad you have not littered the site with ads. It makes it so much easier to read. So thank you for not selling (so far).

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
Jon, a lot of people would have just taken the money and run. You are a gentleman and a scholar.  :cheers:
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »
Hey Jon! Great job on the reporting!! I sure couldn?t make it but I closed my eyes and listened up loud and I was THERE! So as others have said thanks for all you do! I want to get one of ur knives and a couple masks so I?ll send some $ for those and some gatif for the kitty 😂 thanks again- gonna try for WF Hope to see you there! Ed

Offline Wannagofast

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 10:54:10 PM »
Jon,
I won't claim I'm an active member by a long shot. But I do enjoy checking in from time to time and like you said about most, I'm also more active the month before SW.

All that to say "thanks for not selling the site"  I'm hoping to make it to the first 2 days of WF. If so I'll come by and bug you again in the booth.
 :cheers: