Author Topic: safe motorcycles LOL  (Read 28731 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Non racer &ullSh*#
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »
Some of the stuff in this thread makes me sick...I will let you racers decide what it is...if I have to continue to be subjected to ramblings and ideas of non racers I will go race with Jack.

Jason makes a great point about back protectors
Fred tells us about his many accidents
We learned from many real racers and the results from several accidents
Gary went in to detail about the problems from the two major DLRA wrecks
Slim supplies infomation regarding better undergarments
Glen makes a great comment regarding getting the PROPER people involved, not some crap from a non BNI, NON SCTA, NON ECTA, NON DLRA, NON TEXAS MILE, NON RACER!

Lets look at the facts, how many car racers have died due to injuries sustained with crashing/wrecking their car on the dirt/salt?
How many bike racers have died due to injuries sustained with crashing/wrecking their bike/streamliner on the dirt/salt?
Fastest piston powered bike record is 350 and fastest piston car record is less than 100 miles an hour faster.

In my short race time I have seen a few car guys die at Bonneville and one woman at a track dragracing in Utah and not one LSR motorcycle racer at Bonneville, El Mirage, Maxton, or Australia where I have raced and I am not aware of anyone dying at the Texas mile as well.

Why do we have to succumb to post's from either non members and people that will never race that have no idea of what it's like other than what they read or just people that are Sunday afternoon LSR armchair racers..

Those of you "racers" that understand the dynamics of a get off at speed know the results, you don't start "tumbling" the second you get off or become separated from the bike, it is not like coming off of a sit down Three seater watercraft, you do not roll as soon you start to "scrub" speed and then at some point you (depending one your position) may roll/tumble however I ask the NON racers to tell me of the people that wrecked on an open bike at Bonneville, Texas, Maxton, Australia or El Mirage that would have had different results if they wore a backpack/chute..

I have spoken with racers that have come off at differant speeds and some got hurt and some just hurt their pride, I know why and we know better ways to prevent it,  I with Van today on this very matter.  He agreed and said I should submit the proper form prior to the Sept deadline and I will.  Nothing is worse than someone trying to get rules changed when they have no idea of the repercussions from their actions.

Now back to your post Willie.

J

Offline willieworld

Re: safe motorcycles LOL
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »
john thanks for your post i really dont know what to say to you --you have taken me by suprise i thought you of all people would have some positive imput--thanks for the post though  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »
john thanks for your post i really dont know what to say to you --you have taken me by suprise i thought you of all people would have some positive imput--thanks for the post though  willie buchta

Willie,

I have positive "input" however do you want to be operated on a by a person that has read about surgery or a person that has actually done it sucessfully several times?  You of all people know the correct answer to this one.

John Noonan

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
john --i dont want to be operated on by anyone--but i get your drift--i think we are a little tense today we should be at el mirage  eating that pot roast sheri made well we will feel beter when we see that salt in august --miss you buddy  willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
john --i dont want to be operated on by anyone--but i get your drift--i think we are a little tense today we should be at el mirage  eating that pot roast sheri made well we will feel beter when we see that salt in august --miss you buddy  willie
Willie,

We had several Cucumbers (some over three pounds) home grown and hoped to have a monster Salad with you, Sheri, Connie and Nick to go with that roast.... :wink: and please understand I never mix words and will always speak my mind..knowone will ever wonder where they stand with me.

J

Offline bones

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »
Hi all
 I was the one to crash the r1 in Australia.
 The rear tyre was a 120/80 zr 18 front fitted backwards so the join in the tread would not open under drive.Unfortunately when I was fitting the tyre the shop didn't have a metal valve so I fitted car type rubber valve stem.Before the crash I had run 177mph and my partner 150+. Both runs absolutely straight.The crash was not the tyres fault- it was the valve stem braking off.I broke 3 ribs and a collarbone.I believe the cause of my injuries was not being able to separate from the bike as it came down. I have a tight fitting streamlined seat.It was more like a high side than a low side.I was still in the seat when I hit the salt and protected the bike .A chute may have some benefits for a stock bodied bike but would have done me no good at all. As Garry described my leathers were not damaged but a lot of paint is missing from the left side.The helmet was thrown out-hit the salt hard enough to rip off the visor and wear through the paint into the shell
  cheers Bones
ps hope to see some of you at BUB

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: safer motorcycle racers
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »
Something (like a chute) that would reduce the amount of bouncing and sliding sounds like a good idea to me.

On the other hand, before you make things safer, it might be better to wait before someone dies.

I've been a hot rodder since 1968 but I'm not an experienced LSR racer, so I'll just go back to lurking. But John's post at the top of this page did convince me that when my Deuce three-window is being worked on, I'll make sure that regardless of how helpful they're trying to be, everyone in the dyno room or the paint booth has raced at Bonneville.

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline willieworld

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »
john save that salad we will eat it at bonneville sheri is still going to make the potroast   see you there  willie
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:16:48 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
Something (like a chute) that would reduce the amount of bouncing and sliding sounds like a good idea to me.

On the other hand, before you make things safer, it might be better to wait before someone dies.

I've been a hot rodder since 1968 but I'm not an experienced LSR racer, so I'll just go back to lurking. But John's post at the top of this page did convince me that when my Deuce three-window is being worked on, I'll make sure that regardless of how helpful they're trying to be, everyone in the dyno room or the paint booth has raced at Bonneville.

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Dave,

Stop the BS,  riders and drivers are proving what will work and what doesn't, I stated that I take will not take either non proven ideas or new rules mandates from a person that has never either built or tried to construct a race vehicle that is neither SCTA, ECTA, DLRA, El Mirage, or Texas legal or is merely someone that posts links to history that in not up-to-date.

BTW, cool site, we have two record holding Roadsters and one of them is the only H-class record holding full bodied car to have run over 200mph.

If you have any questions or need further information then please let me know...PM me for my number if needed.

BTW, cool site.

John Noonan

PS. Willie we should still have Tomatoes and Cucumbers then... :mrgreen:

John Romero

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »
BTW, cool site, we have two record holding Roadsters and one of them is the only H-class record holding full bodied car to have run over 200mph.

Sorry John,

You are 8 years too late to make that claim

H/BGMS     Fairhill Millennium Falcon     T. Stephens     ' 00     205.207

It was a 1991 Toyota MR2 and it didn't just run over 200, it set a record over 200.  :-P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:10:39 AM by John Romero »

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 01:25:23 AM »

Sorry John,

You are 8 years too late to make that claim

H/BGMS     Fairhill Millennium Falcon     T. Stephens     ' 00     205.207

It was a 1991 Toyota MR2 and it didn't just run over 200, it set a record over 200.  :-P

Yes you are correct, I should have stated fastest h class Roadster on gas (blown)  nevermind you saw it.

J
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:48:01 AM by John Noonan »

Ratliff

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 09:01:11 AM »

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Dave,

Stop the BS,  riders and drivers are proving what will work and what doesn't, I stated that I take will not take either non proven ideas or new rules mandates from a person that has never either built or tried to construct a race vehicle that is neither SCTA, ECTA, DLRA, El Mirage, or Texas legal or is merely someone that posts links to history that in not up-to-date.

If you have any questions or need further information then please let me know...PM me for my number if needed.

BTW, cool site.

John Noonan

PS. Willie we should still have Tomatoes and Cucumbers then... :mrgreen:

Arvil Porter invented, designed, built, and rode the hydrogen peroxide rocket bike from scratch. Aside from his own bike, Arvil also built the first 200 mph drag bike (Larry Welch's rocket bike). Among Porter's innovations on Welch's bike was the installation of canard wings to keep the fork loaded when Welch backed off on the throttle.

Welch, the first 200 mph bike rider in drag racing, also wore a personnel drag chute.

Porter also built the rocket motor and propulsion system for Jack McClure's rocket kart. McClure's kart was the first 200 mph kart and may still be the smallest and lightest 200 mph vehicle ever built.

So, John, if you think you've done cutting edge genius level work on Porter's level please tell us about it.

Ratliff

Re: Non racer &ullSh*#
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »
Some of the stuff in this thread makes me sick...I will let you racers decide what it is...if I have to continue to be subjected to ramblings and ideas of non racers I will go race with Jack.

Jason makes a great point about back protectors
Fred tells us about his many accidents
We learned from many real racers and the results from several accidents
Gary went in to detail about the problems from the two major DLRA wrecks
Slim supplies infomation regarding better undergarments
Glen makes a great comment regarding getting the PROPER people involved, not some crap from a non BNI, NON SCTA, NON ECTA, NON DLRA, NON TEXAS MILE, NON RACER!

Lets look at the facts, how many car racers have died due to injuries sustained with crashing/wrecking their car on the dirt/salt?
How many bike racers have died due to injuries sustained with crashing/wrecking their bike/streamliner on the dirt/salt?
Fastest piston powered bike record is 350 and fastest piston car record is less than 100 miles an hour faster.

In my short race time I have seen a few car guys die at Bonneville and one woman at a track dragracing in Utah and not one LSR motorcycle racer at Bonneville, El Mirage, Maxton, or Australia where I have raced and I am not aware of anyone dying at the Texas mile as well.

Why do we have to succumb to post's from either non members and people that will never race that have no idea of what it's like other than what they read or just people that are Sunday afternoon LSR armchair racers..

Those of you "racers" that understand the dynamics of a get off at speed know the results, you don't start "tumbling" the second you get off or become separated from the bike, it is not like coming off of a sit down Three seater watercraft, you do not roll as soon you start to "scrub" speed and then at some point you (depending one your position) may roll/tumble however I ask the NON racers to tell me of the people that wrecked on an open bike at Bonneville, Texas, Maxton, Australia or El Mirage that would have had different results if they wore a backpack/chute..

I have spoken with racers that have come off at differant speeds and some got hurt and some just hurt their pride, I know why and we know better ways to prevent it,  I with Van today on this very matter.  He agreed and said I should submit the proper form prior to the Sept deadline and I will.  Nothing is worse than someone trying to get rules changed when they have no idea of the repercussions from their actions.

Now back to your post Willie.

J

Fred's accidents told us "Broken/cracked 16 ribs, 1 punctured lung, 4 broken collar bones, and my shoulder trashed once."

Earnhardt's crash at Daytona told us he didn't know a damn thing about safety and should've taken a little of those tens of millions of dollars he was making annually from winnings, salary, and diecast sales and given it to the creators of the HANS to develop a lighter more compact device.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »
As one that's bounced down the track here's my observations on the topic thus far (I guess all of mine have to do with the rider & not the bike!)

I agree with Jason on the back protector however we take it one step further. Our additional back protectors also have a chest protector. I chose a vest type add on protector because I liked the way it stayed snug on my core & the chest protector was just a bonus. After going down it was proven to me that it was a great benefit. The leathers wore through on the chest and the protector was there to offer extra protection rather then my skin. (We’re talking about four inches or so down from the shoulder top not actual booby area so guys don't think it was just booby protrusion that caused the chest impact area - those of you that know me know that will never be the cause!) It also offers some protection for potential puncture and that I like as well. If something on the bike was somehow positioned to impact my chest there’s an extra layer there to help out.
Here’s my old one that I was wearing when I went down. As far as I can tell it’s a level one impact rating.

This is my new one, which I chose because it’s a level two impact rating. I upgraded because they felt I may have had a bruised lung from the impact. A level two is supposed to dissipate and lessen the impact more so that was an easy choice. I also like that it’s women specific, which makes it more comfortable. (It has booby cups rather then a flat chest plate. I also don't look like a flat chested boy with the suit on so that's a plus!!!) I got the jacket with armor in the arms but once I got the suit on I couldn’t move so I cut off the sleeves & continue to use the armor that came in my suit. They offer both the jacket and just a vest for men.

Knee cups! I ground through 2 layers of leather and at least an 1/8 inch of the plastic knee cup. There was only one more layer of leather so if I didn’t have the knee cups that would have been my knee cap that ground down!!! A lot of people remove them because of the bulk but it’s not a great idea. Knees stick out, protect them!!

About the parachute, that whole idea scares me. I’ve watched the turbulence of the chutes on cars at Maxton and I’m just not sure I want that on my body. My worst injury came from the initial impact with the ground. I was still pretty well attached to the bike at the time so any kind of ripcord pulled during separation wouldn’t have deployed on time. The only thing I’ve seen that could possibly help with the shoulder injuries on initial impact is those air bag vests that are made for MC riders. Again something attached to my body, and when deployed I’m bouncing & rolling. And what is my neck doing during all of this? And where is the bike. What happens if/when the bike & the cords tangle? Am I now tied on to the bike & it’s flipping around on top of me instead of me being away from it? (All rhetorical questions of course – no need to actually try to answer me here!)

All of that is extra bulk & weight and in the heat of Bonneville, I’m looking for less not more! I don’t want the fatigue of wearing all of this to cause me to wreck!!!

There’s just no way I’m using a parachute on my body or an airbag on my body until someone does extensive documented testing of several scenarios of MC wrecks and proves to me that either/both will in fact slow me up, keep me away from the bike and lessen injury without causing additional other injury. It would seem that someone with some funds could rig up some crash dummies on a bike & let them loose on the salt via remote control & see what happens. Maybe we can get Myth Busters involved, that would be right up their ally!

Fireproof unders is a good idea imo and something I’ll be looking into in the future as funds allow. I have a bunch of questions before I buy so I’ll need to be in touch with a manufacturer before I do it. Of course I’ll share my thoughts once I get that done! If anyone else has any data on the fire proof unders I’d love to hear it.

Deb

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
Deb, good words and smart thinking. Thanks for your input. See you on the salt :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah