Author Topic: Canopy/Cover source -- for the pits and/or spectating  (Read 13427 times)

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
Canopy/Cover source -- for the pits and/or spectating
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
Prepping for SW2012 and found a company online with a killer tool that let's you enter the dimensions you want the canopy to be and it tells you everything you need and lets you easily order all the bits and pieces. They tell you what tubing you need too (uses chain link fence tubing) but you get it locally as it's pricey to ship.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Design-Tools/Canopy-Design-Tool.aspx

I've got no connection at all to this company, (I run http://DIYAutoTune.com EFI Systems) but wanted to share as I know it was helpful to me.  I designed a 24x24 102* shelter with a heavy sun-reflecting roof tarp and added a heavy duty floor tarp as well.  Should give plenty of room for a car and plenty of shaded seating for the crew.

That's one more item checked off the Bonneville prep list...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
Re: Canopy/Cover source -- for the pits and/or spectating
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
You will have plenty of company. They're  pretty much the 'De Rigeur' at El Mirage and Bonneville.

Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
I've seen plenty of similar canopies on the salt over the last 6 years or so crewing for Gary Hart and Mike Collison, who use a similar setup, didn't know if there was a common source or not and didn't see any sources listed on the forums with a quick search or two so I figured I'd share for others looking for a canopy/tent/etc so they could find it easier in the future...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Hope you don't end up hating your sun reflecting tarp... We found the black mesh was much cooler, the SCTA adopted them years ago because they don't get hot underneath them.  Of course any shade is better than no shade  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
That's good feedback-- I expected the reflective properties of the roof to help bounce away and not absorb the heat.... you're saying a black roof worked out better?
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
 Just to show that their are two sides to every coin, I tried the mesh type a few years back, and my crew chief hated them............ said the light was driving him nuts.
  Of course he also told me that I was driving him nuts........  go figure.... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
Stainless is saying that he prefers the black MESH for a roof.  It does allow some air movement.  As Bob points out, though, the mesh lets some light in - and than can be a bit of a distraction for some folks.  I'm pretty happy with time spent under the mesh, but our personal overheads are solid blue with silver lining.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
If the area your parked on has good clean salt the reflection from it back into the canopy can suck at times. We have found to cover the ground first then put the canopy up seems to help but whatever you decide works for you do not forget the sun screen as your going to need it! We use those cheap blue tarps on the ground then the canopy over it with white top. Others seem to like the dark top canopys.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »
Also note, the associations canopies are flat not peaked helping them not become crude airfoils and that the mesh keeps them from becoming sails in the wind.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
Bob D, we have had the same two "livestock shade" tarps for about 18 years or so... figured if it worked for fur bearing animals it should be OK for shorts and t shirts types.  Found we have to take them off the trailer above 40 MPH or they will come loose, so we don't chase with it up any more.
They allow about 30-40% of the light to come through
BTW everyone is welcome to share our shade while we are in line... even you Bob  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
I think I got this link from someone on the board. Another source

http://www.tarpsplus.com/heavdutblacm.html

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I think I got this link from someone on the board. Another source

http://www.tarpsplus.com/heavdutblacm.html

Just ordered a 10x16, you can see how good or bad it is on the salt. Of course I bought it for the "house". 50 weeks out of the year anyway! :-D

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
We use an EZ-UP, available in lots of sizes... Also got the weight bags that attach
to the legs in case of wind gusts... Good for racing, camping or going to the beach.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
"...Also got the weight bags that attach to the legs in case of wind gusts..." 

Out of curiosity, how much do those bags weigh?  I've seen weights (one-gallon cans filled with concrete) being flung hither and yon during and after a gust of wind.  What's such a cement weight weigh?  One easy answer:  NOT ENOUGH for many Bville winds.  And one of 'em hitting you in the head would really hurt. :-(

Weights are pretty good and will probably be all you need, but I've learned that it's easier to do the extra work of 1/4" lag bolts hammer-drilled about 5 inches down into the salt, going through the holes in the feet of the canopy legs.  And still -- when we leave the pits we often take the canopy down (or at least the fabric cover off).  It's less of a hassle than chasing here and there around the pits, trying to find the bits and pieces.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
Cooks use 2 long spikes with a washer welded to the top and two motorcycle tie down straps at each corner. I think one side is attached to the side of the trailer as well. Weight alone won't work very well. Some years ago the Japanese electric stream liner crew had a tent about 40 x 40 feet when the wind came up and most of them were to short to hold on and about 50 or more races came over and saved it from blowing to SLC. That year was also rained out at the end of the event and there was every kind of product from car panels to trash cans, sheets of plywood etc. It was a major clean up for eveyone. Anchor it down and place heavy items on the ground tarps. BTW. Setting tool box's on the salt is not a good plan unless you have a friend at Snap on. The highest wind we have recorded as I recall was 68 mph and not fun.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah