Author Topic: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out  (Read 274859 times)

Offline Tman

Re: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out
« Reply #570 on: September 23, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
Thanks for the update Rocky, glad you are safe.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #571 on: September 23, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
Hey Rocky, golf should be good pt on that shoulder. Just curious, were you using a hans or strap type restaint?
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #572 on: September 23, 2011, 02:00:31 PM »
Mike Cook, Jr. Jon, Ray, The Rices and the FIA/FIM Reps. and all that made this meet happen a great event thank you. To all of the racers that gave it their all and it shows that it ain't easy or everyone would do it. The dedication to put on the event and to the racers that support it goes beyond a thank you Congrats to all of you.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #573 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
No HANS device. Shoulder straps held me pretty well. We have padding around the helmet that keeps my head from moving around much. Buzzy and Jim True strap me in so tight my voice goes up a couple of octaves before they're satisfied so I wasn't going anywhere...

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #574 on: September 23, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »
Congratulation to Poteet & Main and the entire Speed Demon crew. The speeds that you ran this week are simply remarkable. Go home this winter and make some tougher parts and come back better then ever next year. Thanks for all of the entertainment that you provided this season.

Another big thanks to landracing.com and everyone involved for the incredible reporting LIVE from the salt. The LIVE audio is the best thing since sliced bread. Keep up the great work to all of you.

And thanks to Mike Cook and crew for putting on this great event. Every year since the Land Speed Shootout began a few years back, we have been treated to some absolutely incredible performances. With out you guys none of it would be possible. Thanks again!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: September 23, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing Rocky,  best wishes on the shoulder mending straight!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #576 on: September 23, 2011, 02:08:49 PM »
Jon & Ray,

Thanks for the great reporting and photos!

Also, the audio was awsome!

Tom

Offline desotoman

« Reply #577 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Jon,

The event is not over correct. By the way everyone is posting it sounds like everyone's leaving their seats.

On another note did the $300 get matched, or where does that stand?

Thanks,

Tom G.

PS. Rocky glad you are OK, thanks for the report.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #578 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Cook announced the meet was over
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #579 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Glen,

Thanks for that information, I was not listening to the live feed. For me it is more fun reading everyone's reply.

I would still like to know if the $300 was matched.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #580 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
Out here on the road past Sydney, NB.  What a fantastic event.  So glad to see Rocky updating us and doing well.  Next year I'll try a new computer that may solve the "dropping the audio" problem.  Now that Slim has it mastered, no telling what to expect.  James has so much going on during the runs, it's not likely he can accommodate the audio first.  Two days ago he was about to jump in a fire truck and head for the mountain end until a Wendover FD vehicle swung through and dropped of a driver.  Lotta hats out there at the tower.

Cook and his crew are truly amazing in their organization skills and work ethic.  Plus wasting time scolding the tourists when the screw up.  Thanks Mike and all for letting me be there.    Oh, and my boss the Slim who is Seldom Seen and his lovely wife Nancy.  I'm spoiled.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline sheEmoto

• New folks
  • World's Fastest Two-up Team
    • sheEmoto
« Reply #581 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks for sending the update, Rocky, and of course Andy and I are delighted to hear you're in good shape.  Golf is over-rated anyway ;)  The ball is the one that looks like it's having the most fun in that sport anyway :-D
Multiple National (AMA) and World (FIM) Record Holder

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #582 on: September 23, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
Rocky, I'm very glad to hear from you.  Sorry to hear about the broken bones, but glad it wasn't worse.

I'm home already.  It was an uneventful drive, helped out by a little Starbuck's vanilla from the truck stop.  Gonna unload the Burb a bit, then rest before I start on anything else.

Before I sign off, I wanna congratulate all the competitors who busted their butts (and parts) in the quest for records.  My hat's off to all of you.  Mike, Mike and the rest of LSE, ya did another fantastic job.  And thanks to all the others who made this a great meet.

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #583 on: September 23, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »
Thank you Jon, Ray, James, Moxnix, Mike Cook+JR, Linda and all the volunteers, Wendover Fire and Rescue, all the racers and everyone else I missed! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great show, take a bow, you all deserve it!!!!! Rocky, glad to hear you will live to fight another day! Heal well. Team SD all I can say is WOW! Richard, congrats :cheers: Andy and Erin, I was there for your first double up way back when and you both are a treasure to LSR!
If you can, please send a small donation to this site so we can all do this again next year!
Wishing you all, good weather, good salt and good friends!
Bob

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #584 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
Just think race fans..........In one week and 3 days we get to do it again......This time I'll be there and living it..........Hope to see you all in Warnerville........................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro