Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 323110 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
  Come to think of it Slim, you sort of look like Wavy Gravy, and for those of you who don't know who
he is, you probably remember the 60's and never threw lightning bolts................. :-D
  Keep up the most excellent work Dude...........and Ray also.............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »
Photo update.

Lamtrac snowmobile gets what appears to be a major overhaul.  Robert told me that they haven't yet refined the machine to make things like replacing the track simpler.  They're replacing the clutch, transmission, secondary drive belt and the track now....and probably more stuff I'm not aware of.  They hope to run again today.

The Missile's engine compartment.  The driver, Curtis Halvorsen, told me that during yesterday's run (which topped out around 277...in  3rd gear..and the chute popped when he shifted into 4th) he never exceeded 62% throttle, according to their data logger.  With all the smoke that sucker pumped out, I can only wonder what will happen when he really stands on it.  I just now heard 'em fire it up.  Hmmm.

The Speed Demon's V8 has been swapped out and replaced by a tubocharged Mopar midget motor (same one that went thru the fire last year) but the V8 creamed the transmission again.  So they've got another one on the way and will mix and match parts to build a replacement.  They shouldn't have the torque problems with the 4-banger.

The rocket bike has arrived as has a Camaro (?!?!?).  I'll go get some shots of it asap.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »
okay I'm going back to work....

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Freud

« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »
Speed Week Flashback.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline joea

« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »
.....with reference to Mike C. jet bike...........""""running only about 80%, so they'll fiddle around and maybe make a pass or two to get some salt driving experience, then goback to town and see if the spare motor is better.""""

........i cant comprehend.........getting salt experience.............in a pass or two......let alone...at 40%...
...but their looking for more than 80%.......after a couple runs.........they are fast learners........

...this i gotta see.........

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
Joe, maybe I should have quoted him more carefully.  Mike told me that they were having troubles with the motor -- that it would only go to 80% power.  In those words I think I heard him saying that they wanted to have a 100% motor before they pushed whatever engine is in the bike.  Maybe it's 80% okay and 20% broken.  It's great looking at their setup -- small, with an EZ-Up and a 20x25 tarp on the ground and a few cars clustered around the pit.  Traditional back yard racers having a ball!

There's too much wind right now for Bub to run, I just heard on the FM, and the Missile is being buttoned up and readied for a run.  No time forecast yet -- but they'll go sooner rather than later. 

and then there's the #757 Camaro over on the other side of the pits.  Ray took some photos and will post the information -- but dang it, he's not here to race -- just to do some chute tests during quiet times on the race track.

And I want to tell you that Junior Cook got his Power Ranger truck stuck while wheel-packing an escape route for the Bub bike.  He was way west of the pits -- and we're down hard by the freeway -- trying to give Chris Carr an extra mile or so of salt in case he needs it for stopping (in case of chute failure).  Junior was pulling the packer and in the pretty soft stuff -- tried turning and realizied he needed to shift down to second, couldn't get it there in time and got bogged down.  About a half-dozen guys pushed him out and we all carefully moved the packer back to better ground and Junior hitched up and drove away.  He says it's the first time he's ever been stuck in the goop.

PS  Ray moseyed over to our truck and corrected me on spelling "escape", which I had done with an "X" instead of an "S", so I've fixed it.  Nanny-nanny foo-foo on those of you that missed the original typo.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:32:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »
The Mormon Missile is almost to the 12 to ready for a pass in this direction.  Bub is still down there waiting for the wind to die down more.  The flags here in the pits aare showing about 3-5 tailwind if coming from the 12 -- no reports from farther up the track.  Missile might be ready in ten-20 minutes.  I'll letcha know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
About land speed racing and parachutes -- Joe Hansen from DJ Safety is here and working with three of the LSR teams today.  I'll see if I can start planning a chute thread with him -- maybe more of an article for him to write laying out some of the basics as his company knows them -- then an open thread for discussions and questions/answers.  I don't know the Stroud people -- maybe one of you can get me in touch with them so they have their chance to expound, too.  This'll be a project for next month when the season is about over -- it's kinda busy out here right now.

Okay -- Curt Halvorson is suiting up at the 12 mile to make a pass in the M Missile.  The engine has been run and heat-soaked for a little while, although is shut off right now.  Not in the car yet.

Interesting note on how the officials (FIM and Cook) work together to give the racers the best possible opportunity to race safely and fast.  There's a discussion on whether Chris Carr may run outside of the course at the 12 mile where the course is kind of bumpy -- which bumps might trigger the chute release.  Carr asked Cook, Cook asked FIM Charlie, discussion ensued, result -- as long as Carr is back on the track when he's approaching the lights it's okay.  These folks are working to give everyone the best course they can.

That's part, but the way, of how Mike Junior got stuck -- trying to wheelpack a better escape route in case the Bub bike needed to divert from the course in the event of a chute failure.  Junior created a couple of miles of road off at an angle leading to soft surface in case the bike wasn't slowing enough -- instead of heading right for the freeway.  Whatever reasonable need -- it's given to them.

Missile is about ready -- track is locked down, nobody allowed to move 'til the run is over.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:05:13 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »
Nanny-nanny foo-foo on those of you that missed the original typo.

If I'm gonna start in on the typo's it's going to be a long day. :cheers:

Hey! What about that custom snowmobile lift system? Two fuel cans and 2x4's. Hope his widow has insurance.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
A bit late to reading this and I see that they weren't able to back it up but holy cripes, if they get 2 healthy runs in the near future isn't this a new piston/wheel driven record and from <300 inches to boot. DAM

Speed Demon is under way.  Tearing the salt says Mike Cook -- I think that's a good thing, though. . .

Through nine, hauling Acura (Dan Warner says).

Entry:

434 MPH!

436 kilo 435 mile

WOW SH*T!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
Jon & Ray.
How about putting the local time of day, That Geniva time don't mean much to us.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »
Still waiting for the Missile.  We got a call on the radio to go to their pit and fetch a jumper cable with a special connector -- plugs into the race car from the support truck.  Said cable has now been sent down to the 12 -- so I guess this means they're having troubles firing up the motor.  

Still no word from Bub.

Mike Charlton having his chute worked on by Joe Hansen.

Missile is about 5 minutes from leaving, says Cook. 

What time you asking about, Glen?  It's 11.40AM Bonneville time right now.  I don't know if the time is set by my computer -- or if it's set in the software someplace.

Oh -- Missile is running, Curtis in the vehicle all suited and belted.  We're lockedf down once again.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:45:54 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
Youre last reply shows 07:39 PM and it,s 11:44 am here. The time comes up in the subject bar when someone replys or adds a new subject.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »
Okay, finally -- a run.  Push truck is moving up to the Missile.  Heading down towards us.

Under way.  Through the eight and looking good.

349 kilo

349 mile

353 exit.

In the pits -- perfect stop under the shade, on the tarps.

NICE RUN!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:51:45 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator