Author Topic: News report says the salt laydown is making things worse.  (Read 1426 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: News report says the salt laydown is making things worse.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 04:55:28 PM »
The only way the salt can be build back up is by the water movement to STOP. (  ie no more pumping)! Only then will subsurface water become saturated. THEN water below the surface can not absorb more salt.  That stops the transmission from surface water to subsurface water.  Brine then dries out and deposits a little salt.

SPARKY SAYS

1.  Build a railroad Spur
2.  haul dry salt from the South to the North side of I 80
3. Help Mother nature by spreading it around
4. let MOTHER NATURE do her thing we will have an improving lake bed instead of a a monument to:

FASCISM--the unholy alliance between BIG BUSINESS AND BIG GOVERNMENT
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:57:20 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 05:03:38 PM »

Several years ago, when Save The Salt was bragging about the amount of salt layed down I posted here ''where is it?'' I figured by their amounts there was enough salt to pave a 4 lane hi way 4ins thick from Salt Lake City to Los Angles.

Of course, all the experts replied with the size of the area not much could be expected.

They respond to me and not Save The Salt?

I said then and now why not direct the brine to the racecourse another member suggested a berm.

MAYOMAN there used to be an Igniters club in Santa Barbara in the 1950ts I belonged to the Dusters a
drag race club at the time.  A small club about 30 members at most.

But 2 members are in the Bonneville 300 mph Chapter Freddy Dannenfelzer and Seth Hammond
4 in the 200 club Arley Langlo- David Carroll- Dick Griffin and me John Langlo. 294 best time.

Arley and I are still racing Seth hung it up after several records an getting crew into 300 and 200 clubs
and another Duster Glen Chambers crews on a roaster from San Diego.

JL222

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2024, 05:50:09 PM »
Our Salt Flats in Chicago, in the 1960s, was Skip?s Fiesta Drive-In at the corner of First and North Avenues (Melrose Park). The lovely carhops would tell us which road was being watched by the cops, and we would race on the other. The avenues were salty in the Winter. Apparently the ?secret? was well known since Revell model car kits featured a Skip?s Fiesta Drive-In series with a picture of the burger joint and carhop on the box. Customers could not leave their cars, so the carhops communicated the challenges between the racers. If you wanted a race, you drove a lap around the building and revved your loud pipes. After we drove home, we dreamed of racing on the real Salt Flats. We read about the Santa Barbara Igniters and borrowed the name. Thank you.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2024, 08:01:02 PM »
I believe we borrowed the Igniters plate design as well as the name.
Hot Rod magazine covered the West Coast dry lakes racers as well as the Bonneville Salt Flats. We were jealous.
After the War, California had a large cadre of aeronautical engineers and mechanics who were eager to go fast on the dry lakes. they progressed to the Bonneville Salt Flats as the speeds rapidly increased. Originally, hot rods were favored. Then, belly tanks and, finally streamliners. Drag racing proved more popular, and practical, in the rest of the country. We all wanted to race on fabulous Bonneville, though. Glad we were able to get there.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline tallguy

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:33 AM »
The only way the salt can be build back up is by the water movement to STOP. (  ie no more pumping)! Only then will subsurface water become saturated. THEN water below the surface can not absorb more salt.  That stops the transmission from surface water to subsurface water.  Brine then dries out and deposits a little salt.

SPARKY SAYS

1.  Build a railroad Spur
2.  haul dry salt from the South to the North side of I 80
3. Help Mother nature by spreading it around
4. let MOTHER NATURE do her thing we will have an improving lake bed instead of a a monument to:

FASCISM--the unholy alliance between BIG BUSINESS AND BIG GOVERNMENT

I'm with you on your 4 (numbered) points, above.