Author Topic: Speed Week 2006  (Read 173 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Speed Week 2006
« on: May 02, 2024, 10:08:06 PM »
I posted this story on the GT40 website and it may bring back a memory or two.

One more story about John... In August 2006, I drove up to the Bonneville Salt Flats to attend Speed Week and experience the unique ambience of that strange place. John Horsman told me that a team from JCB would be there running a diesel-powered streamliner. John was familiar with that project and told me that their objective was to demonstrate that their JCB diesel engine was robust, powerful, and reliable enough to power a very fast race car. He said he might stop by there and say hello.

At Bonneville, the JCB team created a very favorable impression with their new streamliner. It was very well designed and its aerodynamics were given a high priority. In fact, none other than Ron Ayres handled the aero. His resume included the design of the Bloodhound guided missile- top drawer talent, indeed. The driver selected for the record attempt was also outstanding- Andy Green, an RAF fighter pilot with lots of flight time in a Tornado.

The JCB team had two large tractor-trailers; one was set up as a first-class hospitality suite and the other, parked adjacent, was their data collection and analysis van. This was similar to a Formula One team! I checked out the hospitality suite but I did not find John, so I looked into the other van and someone at a computer monitor asked if they could help me. I think his implication was that I was not supposed to be in there. I said to the computer operator "I'm looking for John Horsman, he said he might be here." A very surprised and puzzled look came over his face and he said "THE John Horsman?" and I replied that it was, indeed and that John had said he might stop in and say "Hello". Word quickly around the British JCB team about John's possible visit- it was clear that his reputation was sterling in the world- wide racing community. Unfortunately John did not get to that event so it was a disappointment.

On Saturday evening after racing was finished for that day, drivers and crew members would assemble in Jon Wennerberg's pit for the "Salt Talks", a casual get-together with food and refreshments and lots of stories. Before it started, I realized that the JCB team was probably not familiar with this Bonneville tradition and I took it upon myself to invite Andy and others to attend. We were pleased when Andy Green, Colin Bond, and a few others joined us for a wonderful evening. It was one of those memorable experiences that life throws your way - once in a while!

PS: The JCB streamliner ran flawlessly and it holds the current world record in its class- D/S.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tallguy

Re: Speed Week 2006
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 12:47:37 AM »
Thank you for bringing this information to our attention.

I'm impressed, but not too too surprised. 

Apparently, a significant amount of money, carefully spent, along with a significant amount of ability in the project planning, designing, building, and operation of a vehicle such as that (making good decisions in the choosing of the key people involved)
-- can produce some significant results.