Author Topic: Someone Please Explain this.................  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Someone Please Explain this.................
« on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
I was taping the Boyd show on Speed Week the other day for Duane and for the second time noticed something that I don't understand. 

Jo had gotten her 125 to 150 license and her 150 to 175 license and was running on the 175 to 200 license.  First they say she has it when she ran 173.650 at the 2 1/4 and 178.083 in the third mile.  Then the gal with the timing slips tells them that she didn't get it because she didn't run over 175 at the 2 1/4.

I can see where she didn't qualify to run the long course since she didn't run over 175 at the 2 1/4, but she did run the last mile at over 175.  Shouldn't she have gotten that license??  I never heard that you had to run over 175 at the 2 1/4 to get it.  Was this just confusion at the timing table over getting the B license and what was required to qualify to run the long course??

Then if she wouldn't have known that and didn't go get the timing slip signed by the starter then she wouldn't have gotten the license she earned.

Can someone shed some light on this,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Someone Please Explain this.................
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:23:24 PM »
175mph at the 2 1/4 is only required of those that wish to run the long course with the exception of streamliners.
A measured speed within the 175 to 200 window at the 3, if completed  successfully, will allow the entrant to try for the next step up.
From your description the time slip person was not correct. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »
Blame it on editing.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »
Timing slip person could have thought they were trying for the long course. We didn't see/hear the complete conversation. See above: "editing/creative license" - a big deal here in So Cal.

DW