Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 134884 times)

Offline salt27

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »
Back to what started this, the snow cat. IMHO it is a necessary evil. The problem lies with idiots getting stuck out on the salt. The snow cat driver provides a service and probably doesn't know where they should or shouldn't cross and shouldn't be criticized too harshly. If there are no cars to yank out he doesn't ever get on the salt. Look to the root cause to eliminate a problem.

Exactly, and forbid that no one will offer this service when needed.

Don

Offline joea

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
problem now is that the salt is much more fragile than ever before

and even folks that are not idiots can get stuck

also folks that are simply not aware of the environment are going to
get out there from time to time and get stuck

folks running a rescue service with a vehicle that destroys fragile salt
would hopefully understand that tracks/courses that have been painstakingly prepped and dragged could be avoided

coming up with a good safe course isnt what it used to be, and mishaps are propagated
by trenches and soft spots etc

how many cars and possibly more so "two wheeled" machines having poor outcomes d/t bad sections will it take

decades of mismanagement has enabled what we have today

Offline DallasV

« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »
problem now is that the salt is much more fragile than ever before

and even folks that are not idiots can get stuck

also folks that are simply not aware of the environment are going to
get out there from time to time and get stuck

folks running a rescue service with a vehicle that destroys fragile salt
would hopefully understand that tracks/courses that have been painstakingly prepped and dragged could be avoided

coming up with a good safe course isnt what it used to be, and mishaps are propagated
by trenches and soft spots etc

how many cars and possibly more so "two wheeled" machines having poor outcomes d/t bad sections will it take

decades of mismanagement has enabled what we have today

Ah, Joe takes it down to the true root cause. What I was trying to get at was the original post was to crucify this cat driver when we don't know the facts. maybe the only way to get to where he was going without getting the cat stuck was to cross the course. I would also hope he took the most prudent approach. Regardless of resource mismanagement or the car owners not knowing what they are doing, someone needs to yank those cars off the salt. Hopefully they do that as gingerly as possible.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »
  Dallas and Hot Rod, that is precisely what I said in My second post.  If He Had a g.p.s. and was aware of the course layout He would at least know where not to cross.
But then again, whom ever drove out there probably thought they were near Salt Lake City.  Too bad He doesn't have a Chinook (?) Heavy Lift Helicopter.
  Marlo could probably get Him one as the Hangers next to Him are Columbia Helicopters in Aurora, Oregon.
  If memory serves, after the Coddington Circus gave up and abandoned their bus for the night someone (Roy Creel maybe?) saw headlights headed for no mans land and had to chase them down or organize a search party for the next day.  Too bad He didn't let them keep going...........
  Seriously, it hopefully is a learning experience that should be shared between Mike Cook, the USFRA and BNI and they need to sit down with The Tow Truck owner and maybe the local Search and Rescue who might have something similar.  I wonder if the weather station gets live satellite pictures because if they did they could possibly pass the exact coordinates to who ever needs them.  Trying to find someone on the Salt  has got to be like finding the last flea on a dog.
                                                                                                                    Bob
Bob Drury

velocity

« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2016, 12:56:49 AM »
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY[/color]

THE UTAH ALLIANCE WEBSITE WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED AND CONTINUES AS AN ARCHIVE ONLY RESEARCH TOOL.

THE ONLY SOURCE OF OFFICIAL INFORMATION CONCERNING THE RESTORATION OF THE BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS IS:

WWW.SAVETHESALT.ORG

THIS IS NOW THE ONLY WEBSITE WHERE OFFICIAL UPDATES WILL BE POSTED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUING SUPPORT.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2016, 05:23:44 AM »
Does this mean that the Utah Alliance has been disbanded or has it been amalgamated with Save the Salt. The latter would make sense as the goals of both organizations is the same?

Pete

Offline crawford

« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »
  No skin off My Acura either Mike.  It's a three hour round trip into Keystone Automotive and They Always Have It.  With your "take it or leave it" attitude and Your constant dismissal of any evidence contrary to research by others (and Yes You were right about this Year so far but one thirty minute thunderstorm may change that at any time)
but I wonder how much support You are losing for the Museum with Your pompous attitude.  You have made Your bed, now You sleep in it.
                                                                                                Sincerely, Bob
Wow! you lost me acura, but anyway, its funny you should mention the Museum, Im doing that for Wendover, they need it, the Salt flats history needs to be told and what better place than in a Wendover Museum. But anyway that must be my pompous attitude breaking through, because everyone knows that I make one heck of a bed! Oh and by the way do you race, really havent even heard of you BOB.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline joea

« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
this has been very "revealing" and educational

Mike...sincerely wishing you a great SW and rest of the summer..

Louise thank you for updates on where the SaveTheSalt updates will
be posted