Author Topic: Flying Kiwi sidecar  (Read 9528 times)

StraightSix

Flying Kiwi sidecar
« on: March 29, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
$220000 for just over 220 mph . . . doesn't seem like very good value to me?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Flying Kiwi sidecar
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
Business is business and rides on bandwagens arn't as cheap anymore.
 The exchange rate might have something to do with it. I think our money is faster.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
Hey, that Kiwi sidecar effort looks like the real deal......except the sidecar is on the WRONG side....but we sidecar racers wish them the best of luck.....todate we have done 187 mph WITH A PASSENGER !!!!!!...from the looks of the outfit they should better that number....but where does the passenger ride  ?????

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
Could it be a sorta streamliner with a tag wheel and not a side car with a car on the side with a rider ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
I thought I read that "haks" were not allowed in competition by the SCTA et al?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
I don't think they care about each other.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Even tho I understand progress; I wish it hadn't gone this far...To some $220K is not a blip on the screen or a drop in a 55 gallon barrel.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
I think it is the exchange rate. It cost less for some to go faster.

stayt`ie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 06:02:00 AM »
exchange rate ,,, yeah,,, when i import my go fast goodies from the states,,,, rule of thumb is ,,,, US$ quoted, plus 80% = australian dollars paid out to land them on my doorstep (no special delivery)

bak189

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey, check the SCTA/BNI rule book and you will see there is a class for sidecars (not Hacks, please, a Hack is a Taxi)  We have been setting sidecar records since 1978...up until 1987 we even had pasengers in the sidecar....but as soon as we got to 150MPH the officials got nervous...so they told us that the insurance would not allow 2 people....NOT TRUE...but hey, they write the rules...so no more passengers...we are just happy there is a sidecar class for us to run in....we are going for 200MPH and put a sidecar into the 200 club

StraightSix

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
Cool.

I've often wondered at the scarcity of sidecar streamliners.  Seems like a good way to build an LSR vehicle.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »
Close
 The actual official was Elmo Gillette and the speed was not the criteria.
 The problem was with the elder in the touring car that would not be expected to survive an upset, reguardless of the protective measures.
 It was said the car guys complained but ,I never heard it.
 The competition side car guys did a good job and their safety record was the best and still is.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »
In 1990 Bob Bakker built a sidecar streamliner that I rode to a best of 174mph and a record of 163 that is still in the books, although at that time there were no streamliner rules for sidecars so we ran SCAG1300. Currently that machine sits in the AMA museum in Pinkerington Ohio.

Offline D-Type

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
Once upon a time a solo motorcycle with a little wheel on the end of a telescopic pole counted as a sidecar.  Then the FIM saw the light and banned it.  They went one step further and rewrote their rule book and threw out the old records.  I think it happened about 50 years ago.

Slightly more recently wasn't Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America's record recognised by FIM as a sidecar when the FIA wouldn't recognise it?
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »
It was never applied to the sidecar rules, but rather to the 3 wheeled cycle that applied to it.