Author Topic: Blower in a bottle?  (Read 22657 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Blower in a bottle?
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
I knew there was a reason I didn't read anything Malcolm writes: No rule book.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »
Jimmy

You should read my e mails more closely - I do not have an 2004 rule book - stress the '04 year.

Why?, because I knew I was not going to be involved with any SCTA/BNI or ECTA car during that year.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

John Beckett

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
Keith

Send 'da Man' an '05 rule book. We don't want JD to miss out on all the valuable info/insight Malcolm has to offer.

JB

Offline RichFox

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
Malcolm; It's been in the book for years. Thank Bruce Johnson.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
John/Keith

To save on postage I will be at Maxton on April 30th - so I will have dollars for an '05 SCTA/BNI book if anyone has a 'spare' and for an ECTA book '05 too.

Now I know I do not NEED to read the '04 book version I will be able to comment on the earlier definition .... just wait!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
quote:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Question time:-

If I have a device in the exhaust that extracts the energy from the outgoing combustion products and delivers some of that energy obtained to the crankshaft - do I have to run in the 'blown' classes? If I then inject N2O and pump gasoline into the exhaust system, to keep my device (which just happens to look like part of a turbocharger) turning, do I have to run in the 'fuel' class? If I do both where do I run - Blown-Fuel or just anywhere other than an SCTA Bonneville meeting ..... LOL?

If I were to have the device powered by Hydrogen Peroxide would I be allowed anywhere near the salt?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 About injecting N2O & gas into the exhaust. There was a car that ran out at the salt quite a few years back that had a turbo charged gas motor. They used N2O to cool the turbos, it was never injected into the combustion chamber. That car was required to run in a fuel class just for having N2O on board. So I would assume even if running gas having the bottle on board would put you in a fuel class.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
If my old book definition is still correct, then my proposal does not make it an "artificailly aspirated engine".  

As the definition of "such as turbo compounding" is not given I guess this is a rule makers catchall.

If there were to be a rule that says 'you are carrying N2O therefore you are classified as being a fuel car' - shouldn't it be printed.

So blown fuel it seems to be?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
If the defination of NOS is gone from the list of approved fuels it is lost but not forgotten.
 Ebergy generated thru a turbine blade to drive the vehicle will always be a turbine. Fnergy generated theu a turbine to drive a blower will always be a blower.
 "Some rules suck and some rules blow and some go round and round." Joe Fish - 2005
 Try again.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
If there were to be a rule that says 'you are carrying N2O therefore you are classified as being a fuel car' - shouldn't it be printed.
 Verbage to this effect has been in the rulebook for several years. Look under Nitrous Oxide Systems in what ever book you are reading. Take the opportunity to read the rulebook before taking the drafters to task. It would be a good thing if you could somehow obtain a somewhat current book before asking questions and making remarks which do not seem appropriate.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2005, 04:08:00 AM »
Quote "Verbage to this effect has been in the rulebook for several years"

My questions are of interpreting the words Dan.  Rules should be explicit, not somewhat implicit that some one new has to keep asking "how does this apply", or "how is this interpreted"?

I thought I knew what N20 was and did, but not the way that the SCTA rule makers apply rules to it - the start of this thread.

However long I sit reading any of the US rule books here in the UK, the less I believe that any vehicle built (comp coupe in this case) with degrees of combustion innovation (and roof chop)  will be legal on arriving at the salt.  

So is it now 'the view' that if it has a spark ignition motor with turbine fitted in the exhaust but geared to the crank, then the only class for this 'turbine' motor is special construction?

That certainly was not clear from the the written words.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2005, 04:33:00 AM »
Soooo OK, Where does it say to anybody that a turbine is allowed now in any view ?
 Club racing is full of challanges and stuff.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
Just in case my last post did not make full sense: I meant that a car built by a Brit in the UK then shipped to the USA is not likely to be innovative and legal.

dwarner

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
So is it now 'the view' that if it has a spark ignition motor with turbine fitted in the exhaust but geared to the crank, then the only class for this 'turbine' motor is special construction?
 A 'turbine'(blower) does not make a body class. i.e. Special Construction(streamliners & lakesters), Modified(comp coupes, etc.), a modification to the motor whether it be the addition of a power booster or displacement increase applys to the motor only. When you visit Maxon next weekend please take the time to discuss the differnce between motors and body modifications as the rules apply to classification with someone with some knowledge.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
Malcolm; Agreed we do not use the exact same English as H M the Q. However I do not understand how you came to your latest "turbine is special construction" statement. Turbocompounding will clearly move you into a supercharged class within your catagory. If you are already running a supercharger it's free. If you were using your piston engine purely as a gas genorator and driving the wheels with the turbine, then I guess you would have a different kettel of fish.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
If the Brits have a unique problem. I suggest you might also check with the entries shipped from Japan, Australia, or even North Carolina.
 The language barriors are quite a challange.
 Reading a book will help with the challange.
 I particularly enjoy translations from Orintal languages into American.
 I get what they mean but not without some previous knowledge of what they are trying to say.
 Just remember that a "Bonnet" is a lacey cover for your head with a chin strap, and a "cigarette" is something else.
 Dat otta splainit.