Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Blob1620

• New folks
Re: Noob questions
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 09:05:50 AM »
Absolutely wild to me that the rule book comes out just a month or two before the event.... I hope there aren't any surprises compared to the 2021 version.
The rulebook was delayed this season due to supply chain issues that affected production. I know this sounds like a PC excuse, but all involved in the process worked very hard to get the rule book out in a timely fashion. If you are a member of an SCTA club, you have the ability to stay in touch with what's going on within the organization. If you're not a member and want to know what's going on within the organization, join a club. If you are a member and don't know what the rule changes will be, I suggest you contact your club president.

I'm Atlanta based and I've been hearing about clubs a lot in this thread. I'd totally join one, what is your recommendation for a club in my geo? Its extremely easy to write off what I'm saying as somehow unreasonable citing the fact that the SCTA folks are volunteers, however, please keep in mind I'm 2000 miles away and this is my first year with zero experience in this event. thousands and thousands of dollars invested in a huge leap of faith, and all I'm really asking for is someone to reach out to the SCTA email list with updates.... an email listing rule changes from last year.... an update email on where the materials are and why they are late.... anything but crickets....

I'm not asking them to move mountains, I'm just asking for simple communication.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2022, 03:56:01 PM »
The clubs mentioned are all California based so joining one is not an option. While it would be great if the rule book arrived in January
that's not happening. However one of the things I learned about the inspection process at Speedweek everyone is looking to help so we can run.
 It may seem a bit intimidating bringing your car to the new car inspection lane but the inspectors are there to help so you get to run your lakester.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2022, 04:00:56 PM »
   CALL ME ,    I AM A  INSPECTOR ..   STEVE   520 591 6318   I CAN HELP

Offline MRK

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 04:48:05 PM »
The clubs mentioned are all California based so joining one is not an option. While it would be great if the rule book arrived in January
that's not happening. However one of the things I learned about the inspection process at Speedweek everyone is looking to help so we can run.
 It may seem a bit intimidating bringing your car to the new car inspection lane but the inspectors are there to help so you get to run your lakester.
 Ronnieroadster
Not entirely true Ron. There are a few clubs that accept "long distance" members. Most smaller clubs don't because of the duty requirements that all the clubs must participate in. The bigger the club, the bigger the responsibility.  8-)
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
 Ronnieroadster
Not entirely true Ron. There are a few clubs that accept "long distance" members. Most smaller clubs don't because of the duty requirements that all the clubs must participate in. The bigger the club, the bigger the responsibility.  8-)

Actually I do know when I was looking into running my car at El Mirage I understood what the club requirements are.  But I doubt the poster would be interested in being a member that requires you to help say at El Mirage the long distance traveling sounds like it would be a bit of a problem.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »
Once upon a time I wanted to run at El Mirage as well as affiliate with a club to become more active in SCTA goings-on.  I checked into it and found that the Gear Grinders (and perhaps others) had a membership class for those of us that couldn't commit to being there for duties.  There might have been a surcharge or something, but the system worked.  Give it a check-out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2022, 08:57:58 PM »
My 2022 Rule Book arrived in Boise today.  But it came from USFRA - not SCTA-BNI.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline MRK

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2022, 11:23:46 PM »
My 2022 Rule Book arrived in Boise today.  But it came from USFRA - not SCTA-BNI.
No surprise there. USFRA was probably sent a few cases via UPS while everybody else's are being mailed individually which of course takes longer.
If you're a BNI member, you'll likely receive another one.

Offline Blob1620

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 11:12:10 AM »
Anyone seen a schedule yet? Website says its coming in May...

Also, I tuned my car based on world final fuel offerings from VP last year, still no idea if MS100 will even be available... which is also disheartening.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »
In re:  VP Fuel at SpeedWeek.

If I remember the story correctly, the VP guys are from a distributor in SLC - not from corporate, and that may well reflect how they do the fuel.  I don't know the details of how the decision on what and how to bring is made, but I'm pretty sure SCTA-BNI is in the loop to get the needed fuels for us.

I also know that they have a sense of humor but do pay attention:  The first time VP was there, a couple of years ago, I visited them as their toilet was delivered.  They were in awe of the salt and the hustle and bustle of everything getting set up.  At one point as we chatted I pointed to my red hat and asked if they knew what it signified.  Nope - they were newcomers.  I told them that they'd learn lots more during the next week, but in the meantime "If you see someone wearing one of these hats, treat him like royalty."  They chuckled then, but at the end of the event they allowed as to how I was right.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MRK

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2022, 12:39:15 PM »
Anyone seen a schedule yet? Website says its coming in May...

Also, I tuned my car based on world final fuel offerings from VP last year, still no idea if MS100 will even be available... which is also disheartening.

MS100 is on the list of approved "event gasoline" and should be available. It would be a good idea to forecast and relay what your needs will be.
This way you can be assured it's available in the quantities you need.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »
Pretty easy to do as there is a line on the entry form for the gas you intend to use

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline MRK

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »
In re:  VP Fuel at SpeedWeek.

If I remember the story correctly, the VP guys are from a distributor in SLC - not from corporate, and that may well reflect how they do the fuel.  I don't know the details of how the decision on what and how to bring is made, but I'm pretty sure SCTA-BNI is in the loop to get the needed fuels for us.

I also know that they have a sense of humor but do pay attention:  The first time VP was there, a couple of years ago, I visited them as their toilet was delivered.  They were in awe of the salt and the hustle and bustle of everything getting set up.  At one point as we chatted I pointed to my red hat and asked if they knew what it signified.  Nope - they were newcomers.  I told them that they'd learn lots more during the next week, but in the meantime "If you see someone wearing one of these hats, treat him like royalty."  They chuckled then, but at the end of the event they allowed as to how I was right.

Now that the organization has a few events in the books using VP, there is a pretty good idea of what's needed. With that said, last season there were numerous trips made to SLC to beef up the inventory as the event played out to make sure the competitors had what they needed. I know someone wanted C25 but they claimed it wasn't available although it was on the list. It's wise to forecast your needs and let the organization know what you want and approximately how much you may need.

Offline Blob1620

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »
I listed MS100 as my intended fuel on my registration entry months ago. However, when I get a call from the SCTA office (yesterday) saying I'm holding up a number someone else wants on their car, just a few days after the entry form is sent out with the different number we agreed on months ago... I'm a little skeptical that giving them the info they need is actually getting to the people that need it. Again, its my first year, and the stars will probably align just fine. I'm just saying that there are many easy ways they could be streamlining this process to attract more people to the sport through simple transparency, communication, and planning ahead...   :dhorse:

Much like the line on their website that still lists the schedule for speedweek as "Coming in May of 2022"

Offline MRK

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 08:11:49 PM »
I listed MS100 as my intended fuel on my registration entry months ago. However, when I get a call from the SCTA office (yesterday) saying I'm holding up a number someone else wants on their car, just a few days after the entry form is sent out with the different number we agreed on months ago... I'm a little skeptical that giving them the info they need is actually getting to the people that need it. Again, its my first year, and the stars will probably align just fine. I'm just saying that there are many easy ways they could be streamlining this process to attract more people to the sport through simple transparency, communication, and planning ahead...   :dhorse:

Much like the line on their website that still lists the schedule for speedweek as "Coming in May of 2022"

The vehicle number thing is above my pay grade.
Please send me an email with the link to the page that has the schedule issue you mention.
I will make sure it gets to the person who handles this type of thing.
mike.kaehny@ymail.com
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 08:21:34 PM by MRK »