Author Topic: New to all of this...No more dreaming, time to start doing  (Read 4490 times)

Offline Sanocki

• New folks
    • My page
New to all of this...No more dreaming, time to start doing
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
I really don't even feel worthy to post here with all the big names on this forum, but I thought I would introduce myself and say hello.

I have an 05 Busa I've been working on for a few years. Nothing fancy but it's mine and I love the bike. I hope to make the 200 Club sometime in the future. For 08 I would like to get 130 & 150 under my belt on the salt.

I have permission from the Wife and Kids to pursue this life long dream of mine, so I should be around for awhile...Reading, Reading, Reading, absorbing info, etc...

I just turned 35 & have been riding for about 25 years. I hope to make this a family event, and meet & make new friends

John
Life is what you make of it

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: New to all of this...No more dreaming, time to start doing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
Here's the best thing for you to do:  Adopt this phrase as your personal motto:  "Abandon all savings accounts, ye who enter here".

Racing at Bonneville is universally addictive.  Once you get started -- you're hooked.  First you get the 130 Club, then the 150, then you put some bucks into the 'Busa and figure out how to make 225 hp so you can go 200, then you decide what class you're going to enter to try to get the 2 Club hat -- then you're visiting the Salt a couple of times a year, to watch, to participate, to see what the other racers are doing that you could try next time.

It's a family-friendly bunch out there -- so do what you can to have the wife & kids participate, not just say "bye-bye" as you leave for Bonneville a couple of times per year.

See you on the Salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
Welcome to the response side of the forum section.  I first went to Bville in 87' now twenty years later with only a few years missed I'm still going and racing.  You will love the experience.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »
Welcome, you won't find a shortage of helpful people or advice about Busas here!  Definitely come to the right place.  It is a highly competitive class for sure!

I would suggest taking a trip to one of the events as a spectator first, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Bring a  camera and sunscreen.  There will be guys busy thrashing away to get prepped, but there will always be somebody relaxing and willing to talk to new guys. 

Where are you located? 

I would suggest getting a rule book and study up, and that alone will generate plenty of questions.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:31:53 PM »
I really don't even feel worthy to post here with all the big names on this forum, but I thought I would introduce myself and say hello.

I started talking on this forum midway through my build. I ask my share of oddball questions but the things I learned here have radically changed how I did my build and have been a continued source of information and the occasional bit of humor.

One thing that I have learned is that in LSR there are no big names. It is true that their are people that have been doing it for a long time and have gained legendary status for their accomplishments in LSR but there is an unwritten fellowship of all who race and mutual respect for other contestants and spectators that is unheard of in other forms of motor sports.

I do want to say however that IMO if you intend on making your busa go safely 200+ on the salt you should make it a dedicated racer and not try to pull double duty as a weekend bike as well.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
John, welcome to our addiction.  The September USFR meet is where you will do the 130 / 150 thing.  Your street Busa will go 150 and you will have fun, maybe get the wife to ride, it is a very laid back meet.  You could visit Speedweek in August to see how it goes.  There will be lots of cars and bikes, the hotel rooms will be scarce.  If you and the family are campers there is a place to do that at the bend. 
Just put the kids education money away before you get in too deep, it will consume your wallet if your are not careful...
Be safe
Have fun
Race
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

landracing

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »
I have an 05 Busa I've been working on for a few years. Nothing fancy but it's mine and I love the bike. I hope to make the 200 Club sometime in the future. For 08 I would like to get 130 & 150 under my belt on the salt.

John

John,

You are well above the curve. you have a good game plan. Even with a Hayabusa that is capable of much higher speeds, you still have a goal already in mind.

remember the 130 and 150 clubs are great clubs and does not show the real capability of the bike, HOWEVER you gain one thing, salt experience and trips down the salt. These will help you understand riding on the salt and better prepare you for the larger speeds that the bike can do. That alone is worth the weight in gold.

Welcome to the website I hope we can help you out when needed,
Jon Amo

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »
John: Welcome to the wonderful world of LSR. What's that phrase?  "The most fun you can have with your clothes on".  :-D The 130 & 150 clubs are a fine place to start. However any meet will require licensing runs of 125-150-175 so it is up to you. You will find that the lower speeds will not satisfy for long. You can make more laps at the smaller meets and as Jon points out, that experience is invaluable. After eight years all the Busa records are a challenge but that is why we do it. One note, your Busa will never be the same after the Salt. Corrosion everywhere no matter how well you clean. I have found that building from scratch (Starting with an eBay frame) is actually cheaper but then you do not have a street bike. However if you get serious you won't have a street bike either. Please don't be afraid to ask questions. Free advice beats expensive mistakes and we all have made those.  :cry:

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 08:11:29 AM »
G'day John. welcome to this madness called LSR , I started out with my street registered busa ,never made 200 first out ,so I started modifying and no more street bike ,added nitrous and made 200+ ,then multi stage nitrous and now turbo and nitrous ,for the classes the busa will run the bar is set VERY high ,hopefully the climb to the summit of Everest will happen one day , my only regret is that I started this madness to late in life .
Enjoy and if the bug bites there is no cure  :-D
gary
slower than most

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
My father started bringing me to the salt when I was 10 or 11.  I was bit hard from the very beginning.  There is truly nothing else like it in the world. 

I am 37 now, and I started bringing my son when he was 10. He is already asking when we will start bending the frame for his altered 250 :) 

The people that participate in this sport are among the nicest, and most real and down to earth that you will ever have the opportunity to become friends with.  Most will give you the shirt off their backs, even if you are running against one of their records.  The combined knowledge (and wit) is truly mind blowing.

You and your family will have a great time out here, and if your experiences are like my own, this will become a yearly passion.  Good luck!
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio