Author Topic: Wind speed  (Read 518 times)

Offline neandethal

Wind speed
« on: March 24, 2023, 04:24:39 PM »
Hi folks,
I'm sure I read there are wind speed limits at which streamliners have an "at your own risk" run and then a slightly higher one where no runs are permitted.  I can't now find these I the 2022 rule book. Have I invented these or can someone  put me out of my misery. Many thanks Ian

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Wind speed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 06:20:35 PM »
At the Bub/BMST they had some very tight rules on wind... 3-5...
With that said, every competitor should have a personal limit.  The SCTA will run with 15MPH, but that doesn't mean you should.  Generally we don't like to run with more than 10 cross in the lakester, but a return record run might temper the decision... any ill handling due to wind is a reason to abort immediately.   
We have pulled out of line to wait... But I can tell you that Pork Pie ran his record return with 14 at the tower.  That run was last day, last chance.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 10:44:52 PM »
Some liners cope with it better than others. Betsy had a round bottom & behaved well in a cross wind but Bertha the Herbert-Steen liner with the vertical chisel nose & flat bottom was not good. One time it tried to run through the timing tower! :?
  Sid.

Offline neandethal

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:33:03 AM »
Great feedback thanks. She does handling differently in a breeze but good sense says less than 7mph is safe

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 05:38:51 PM »
Since dead calm is rare at Bonneville you will always have some wind to contend with... the cross at the saddle (generally 2-3 mile) is the most common.  The tower is usually in that slot and monitoring wind. 
I don't think you can build one that is immune, but like Sid says, some designs are less susceptible than others.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O