Author Topic: Wind Tunnel Smoke Testing  (Read 59343 times)

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
Re: Wind Tunnel Smoke Testing
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
Here are two new videos I finally had some time to edit and put up.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwyUOq_goI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPWuvFhvvE

PS: with the new copy right laws you can only have music on your video with permission from that group(s) so my song selection is very very limited.  I know it’s not the best music, but it’s better than none.

The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
Thanks for posting Dave!
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »
This is a non LSR video but it really illustrates well how unpredictable and highly complex air flow can be.  Before you view the video try to imagine what the airflow is doing over a sprint-car.. Seriously, picture in your head what you think it would look like in the car pictured here.

Now, anyone with some aero experience would say with the wings there would have to be some wing tip vortices... Now watch the video on the link below.  I think anyone will find this interesting and 99.9% of people would not have guessed all the complex flow patterns going on here.  I was very surprised to see all that was going on in this smoke sequence and the amount of information I learned at this test.  The video is just for thought and to show how complex air can be.  Hope you enjoy.

Sprint car video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idq1tiGnE2c

Dave

www.A2WT.com

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
What was the wind velocity in the tunnel during these tests?
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 04:26:32 PM »
At the local dirt track (Santa Maria ) some nights it can get foggy late in the show. When the Winged Sprint cars run you can see the vortices just like these. Because the wing side plates are a different height it really does look cool.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
 :-o Thanks for posting that one on the sprintcars, my mouth was open in shock at the turbulence and bad air going on. I predict there will be some big changes in side plate angles in sprint cars soon!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
Remember the A2 tunnel doesn't test in Yaw and these guys ( sprints) are more or less going sideways most of the time, at least on really short tracks. Think what the vortices and flow patterns might be  then! I think the A2 flow is 85mph.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline t russell

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
very cool stuff
terry

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
Do you have any videos of motorcycles? Especially those set up with LSR bodies?
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:15 PM »
I'll stick in a bit of comment.  Dave and I have talked about me visiting the A2 tunnel so I can write a bit about what goes on in there when a bike goes under the test program.  I know that Dave Owen and Lee Sheirts once went there -- and some story was generated, but I don't know if it reached print or was just anecdotal around the pits at Maxton.

Whatever -- one of these days I'll make the trek and get a visit down on paper.  I'd take one or two of our bikes -- but that's quite a logistical project for us, so maybe just a visit will have to do.  Stay tuned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »
Thanks for showing all of this, especially the Corvettes.  It helped the aero a lot when the cleaned up the grille area on the later models.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 07:06:13 AM »
Remember the A2 tunnel doesn't test in Yaw and these guys ( sprints) are more or less going sideways most of the time, at least on really short tracks. Think what the vortices and flow patterns might be  then! I think the A2 flow is 85mph.

Huh
I thought I saw yaw on the very first youtube vid
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Online jacksoni

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 07:21:22 AM »
Remember the A2 tunnel doesn't test in Yaw and these guys ( sprints) are more or less going sideways most of the time, at least on really short tracks. Think what the vortices and flow patterns might be  then! I think the A2 flow is 85mph.

Huh
G
http://www.a2wt.com/CARS_files/A2%20Customer%20Info.pdf

If you look at the first paragraph "1) A2 operation and policy" says only "zero degrees" will be tested. The Sister Aerodyn tunnel that runs 24/7 mostly with Nascar level stuff ($$$$) they can do yaw. Though posted by A2, perhaps that video was shot in the other tunnel. I haven't looked at it so am not sure. Are the fans at the back different?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:24:26 AM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »
Let me give you guys some information on the sprint car test since I didn't think it would generate questions.  We are not currently testing sprint cars but I have been contacted but several World of Outlaw teams that want to perform wind tunnel testing because the tracks change so much even between a session they know that there are too many variable to track comparing one change to another.  They feel it is very expensive to track test with the cost of fuel, tires, logistics and feel they would get more information for their $$ in a controlled environment to see what changes help or hurt their performance in a shorter amount of time. 

(Gary Eaker & Myself) are currently in the middle of a study for the sprint cars to see if A2 is a good candidate for them and will provide data with a high confidant level.  The problem we run into is the top wing is in close proximity to the ceiling and we want to know if and in what way that could be affecting the readings for the sprints.  For the first round of testing I used a mini-sprint because the chassis and wing arrangement is very close to a full size sprint car but it is much smaller in size.  In the video you might notice that I instrumented the car with a pitot tube (front) and there is also a black strip on the center of the top wing and off to the left side of the suction side (bottom side) of the top wing.  These black strips have pressure (7) ports that I will monitor the pressures on both sides of the wing along with the reference pitot tube in the wind tunnel and then we will instrument the car and take it to test on the track.  To make a long story short, we will compare many factors (wing angel/height ect..) and pressure readings from the wind tunnel and out on the track (unbounded condition), even CFD to see if and how the wing is affected in close proximity.  At A2 we want to provide data that we feel is valid and useful for our customers.   I have had many sprint car teams want to test here and get what ever data they get, but we do not feel comfortable giving them data that we don’t fully understand or have some level of confidence and to this point have turned them away.  When this study is finished we will know if a sprint car can get some good information in A2 or if they performed scale model testing (such as a mini-sprint) if the #’s look like they are in the right direction and magnitude. 

Huh
G

Yaw is very important for the sprint cars and on the mini-sprint we did acquire data at several yaw positions.  A2 doesn’t yaw full scale cars, but we can manually yaw smaller things such as the mini-sprint and motorcycles (most of the time). And yes, full speed is 85 mph in A2 with smoke testing done at 45 mph. 

AeroDyn (our other tunnel) in the first video does have automated yaw along with spinning wheels, automated ride height system and 130 mph test speed. 
www.A2WT.com

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
Wow that's real impressive.  I wasn't prepared for how much I didn't know :)  The corners of those wings surprised me. 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4