Author Topic: A.I.-Generated Land Speed Record Cars  (Read 2101 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: A.I.-Generated Land Speed Record Cars
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2024, 09:05:53 AM »
As I recall, Art Arfons crashed at near 600mph. He had no problem surviving that incident.
Just because an LSR vehicle is designed to reach 600, 800, or 1,000mph doesn't mean it will only crash at that speed, or only directly into a barrier.
NAE had numerous problems - probably due to lack of racing experience of any sort.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2024, 09:22:20 AM »
By the way, what so-called records did the brave young lady, Jesse Combs, actually set?
Was that the flying start mile or kilometer? What organization timed and/or sanctioned her so-called record? FIA?
There are no gender-based records - except maybe Guinness records.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2024, 12:21:37 PM »
I am sure that Dick (like many others) is aware that the Guinness World Records web site states:

The fastest land speed record (female) is 841.338 kph (522.783 mph), and was achieved by Jessi Combs (USA) in the Alvord Desert, Oregon, USA, on 27 August 2019.

I don't think it would have achieved even this level of recognition without being independently timed, but I also don't remember seeing any information being published about course measurement, timing, etc.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2024, 03:28:58 PM »
The North American Eagle alleged records were timed and certified by the World Land Speed Racing Association (WLSRA). WLSRA is owned (according to their trademark application) by E&D NORTHAMERICAN EAGLE SERVICES, INCORPORATED, DUH!

WLSRA claims: The days of timing lights and questionable accuracy are no longer
necessary. Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) ? based timing is
the methodology embraced by the World Land Speed Racing
Association? (WLSRA?), is state of the art, and is being used on the
North American Eagle? land speed record challenger project. Hopefully
this will become a globally-accepted standard soon.

The WLSRA BS was discussed at length in landracing.com in 2016.
So, NAE allegedly "timed" themselves. No details ever given.

It is the duty of genuine landspeed racers to maintain the integrity of our sport!
Garbage in - garbage out!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2024, 04:43:07 PM »
when GWR announced it, they said     flying kilo   so as Kitty run in 1976

I am sure that Dick (like many others) is aware that the Guinness World Records web site states:

The fastest land speed record (female) is 841.338 kph (522.783 mph), and was achieved by Jessi Combs (USA) in the Alvord Desert, Oregon, USA, on 27 August 2019.

I don't think it would have achieved even this level of recognition without being independently timed, but I also don't remember seeing any information being published about course measurement, timing, etc.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline salt27

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2024, 05:52:34 PM »
The North American Eagle alleged records were timed and certified by the World Land Speed Racing Association (WLSRA). WLSRA is owned (according to their trademark application) by E&D NORTHAMERICAN EAGLE SERVICES, INCORPORATED, DUH!

WLSRA claims: The days of timing lights and questionable accuracy are no longer
necessary. Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) ? based timing is
the methodology embraced by the World Land Speed Racing
Association? (WLSRA?), is state of the art, and is being used on the
North American Eagle? land speed record challenger project. Hopefully
this will become a globally-accepted standard soon.

The WLSRA BS was discussed at length in landracing.com in 2016.
So, NAE allegedly "timed" themselves. No details ever given.

It is the duty of genuine landspeed racers to maintain the integrity of our sport!
Garbage in - garbage out!

When I watched the NAE run they had a timer and timing lights in addition to the GNSS.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2024, 08:35:21 PM »
Again, who timed and certified the record?
WLSRA was the North American Eagle.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2024, 01:58:19 AM »
Life is short.  Drive fast.

That's a popular saying, I suppose.  But sometimes driving fast can shorten a life.

There's been a lot of talk, probably, since the invention of the automobile, about why people race.  And, of course, people
were racing on horses long before automobiles were available. 

We've all seen the phrase "the need for speed", and I'm always amused by it.  Nobody actually NEEDS to drive a vehicle faster than anyone else (in their class, or in general).  But some folks may believe that they need to do this. 

I don't want to appear overly critical about anyone who desires to race vehicles.  I've done a tiny bit of motor vehicle racing myself, although I didn't set any very spectacular records that I know of.  I actually believe, though, that I have the world's record for use of the smallest fuel tank on a motor vehicle while drag racing.  This was on a small motorcycle -- and for a fuel tank, I used an automotive fuel filter that could hold maybe 2 ounces of gasoline.  It was enough to get me down the track and then back to the pit area.

Yes, that's silly.  But it's my record.  How much fame did it get me?  I don't know, and I don't much care.

Fame can get a lot of money for living people.  How much does it cost to attend a Taylor Swift concert?

Fame seems to be given to living people, while "glory" may be more often associated with someone who's no longer alive.

I think that glory is over-rated.  Should we assign glory to (I'll choose a name . . . Gary Gabelich)?  He's no longer alive.
How much good will glory do him?  I don't know.  I was impressed by the record(s) he set in the Blue Flame rocket car.

In the world of land speed racing, it's a bit rare for someone such as the person operating the vehicle to get paid a lot of
money as a result of going fast, even if one breaks a record.  People usually do it for the fame (otherwise known as
recognition of achievement, in my opinion), excitement, and fun.  If there was no opportunity for fame in this endeavor,
I wonder how many people would make the effort. 

If someone makes up a silly category and claims that they have a record in that category, it floats my boat about as much
as having a bicycle with the most chewing gum stuck to the spokes.  An easy world record, that one.  But who would
(as a polite person might say) "give a flying flock" about someone doing that to a bicycle?

I believe that a more MEANINGFUL record should be more impressive.  For example, a record that is set by adhering to
strict rules that are generally accepted by people knowledgeable in that field (such as other land speed racers) as being reasonable and fair . . . while still challenging.  Yes, it's more challenging to go 600+ mph, compared to only 100 mph.
And we all know by now that one of the challenging things is having the money available.  But as speeds increase, so does
the technical difficulty, even with a lot of money.

I've been impressed with everyone who ever broke the Absolute Land Speed Record.  And I'm not talking about only the
driver(s).  It's the designers and builders -- and the rest of the crew -- that more impressed me.  And if they got the record in a surprisingly short period of time, then I'm even more impressed.

I'm not so impressed by a "made-up" record not recognized by a generally-well-known sanctioning organization.  And
even if a beer brewery thinks it's great, that "glory" won't do much good for a dead person, even if admired for their effort(s),
dedication, and courage. 

I've never gone faster -- on the ground -- than 400 mph in a motor vehicle, but I'm alive to talk about stuff like this, and that fact is important to me and to others.  Being extra-careful with safety, as far as I've been concerned (for many decades), is a better idea than rushing into serious danger.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2024, 02:24:33 AM »
For your enjoyment I have been using ai image generators to make ?new? land speed record cars.  Hope you like:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC2YNG2wfzmdkd530jd6sRF0oPwkDd1bU&si=nvu3OtbPHSiMunjz

I did find those interesting, and do appreciate your efforts.  That was probably quite time-consuming for you.

If you were trying to be serious about designing those vehicles specifically for land speed racing, perhaps you would like
to try minimizing the cross-sectional area of the vehicle, as seen from in front of the car.  Some of those designs looked
to me like they were focusing more on handling (such as on a "closed-course" race track), instead of being as slick as
possible regarding aerodynamic drag.  Going straight (at least ideally) doesn't necessarily require a large distance between
the left wheel(s) and the right wheel(s) of the vehicle, if the vehicle is stable.  Yes, I know this isn't always the case.  And
sometimes an unexpected gust of wind can cause major handling problems.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2024, 09:18:40 PM »
Read the rulebook first...

Did.

For the AI, or the SCTA?

These forums and the ai terms of service.  These are fantasies for fun, not completely unlike the ideation phase of real machines.  However I?d like to try the scta rule book also and see how that influences the designs compared to real life.

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2024, 09:25:10 PM »
Someone please explain the resistance.  I see this as just another tool in the box.

AI is a computer program, just like CFD, Data Logging and the ECM controlling your engine.
No one here seems to have a problem with using any of those.

As for getting a rulebook,
who said any of these designs are intended to run in the scta?
Did Richard Noble need a rulebook when designing the Thrust SSC?

Using AI to generate outputs from a training model (that you own or have permission to use) with specific goals in mind interesting. AI generated "art" is stealing with extra steps (in my opinion).

I never claim ai images as my own work.  Whenever someone says ?your cars look cool? I say the computer did all the work.  I just asked it to make certain kinds of pictures.  As an artist I am acutely aware of the difference.

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2024, 09:28:55 PM »
So what inputs did you specify for your AI to follow
CD?
covered wheels?
engine dimensions that must fit?
roll structures specs?
exhaust locations?

For these I used Wonder app and my prompt was: ?full view of an extremely beautiful, aerodynamic, very advanced, very technical, official, 100ft long, super narrow, super slim, complex, slightly bizarre, strangely shaped, pointed nose land speed record car with sponsorship decals in full view?

It takes a lot of tries before a good one comes out.

OK let's add a touch of realism... how do you plan to transport a 100ft long car? Maybe the input should be 50 ft... although I already know the problems associated with transporting a 43ft car... special 53 ft trailer had to be built.  Practical should be an input as well.

The main reason I wrote ?100ft? is when I typed in ?long? it wasn?t long enough for my taste.  I tried 50, 75, and it was still giving me 36ft at most, probably because it was using images of real cars and most of them aren?t 100ft.  I said 100ft not to get 100ft but to get something like 50ft or less since the ai holds back on the visual length.  It is fussy and does not do exactly what I tell it to do no matter how precise and straight forward I write a parameter.

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:09 PM »
I heard someone asked ed why the nae did not have a roll cage he said that at the speed the car would be running that if there was a crash a roll cage would not protect you.
That has to be the dumbest excuse for not putting in a driver cage & safety systems that I've ever heard! & by the way, NAE was a 5 wheel vehicle with only the front one steering.
  Sid.

I don?t know about rollcages but I was taught in shop safety to not wear gloves when using high powered rotating tools because a safety glove will take you with it if it gets caught in the machine.  Better to have some skin or thin disposable glove material go in instead.  It sounds ironic (like the roll cage) but it?s the truth (please don?t debate me on the glove thing, nobody :9)

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2024, 09:35:41 PM »
I heard someone asked ed why the nae did not have a roll cage he said that at the speed the car would be running that if there was a crash a roll cage would not protect you.
That has to be the dumbest excuse for not putting in a driver cage & safety systems that I've ever heard! & by the way, NAE was a 5 wheel vehicle with only the front one steering.
  Sid.

Actually now that I think about it a roll cage will still protect you at ?slow? speeds even in a land speed record car anything up to a few hundred miles an hour or something., whatever works for regular race cars.  The same will apply to a land speed record car up to a certain speed, wether the top speed will negate a roll car or not.

Offline Augos

• New folks
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2024, 09:36:51 PM »

It takes a lot of tries before a good one comes out.

Be sure to let us know when you get one...  :laugh:  lol8  :dhorse:  cromag

New ones are added every few days up to a few days ago and they keep getting prettier and prettier :D