Author Topic: Roof rails and parachutes,  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Jeremy Blaze

Roof rails and parachutes,
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
  I know, 2 different topics.  I'm full of questions, I know.

First off, roof rails, what is involved with adding them tyo a car, do they have to be attached a certian way?

Parachutes, how do they have to be mounted?

I know, this is probably covered in the rule book, but it looks like at least a month away before they will be avalible.  Of course if anyone has an 07 book they would be willing to ship to me, I will slow down with the questions!

Never been to the salt.  Drag racer

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
Re: Roof rails and parachutes,
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
I think parachute info starts on page 24 or there abouts ....

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,862.375.html

Mark

p.s. hey! i got to return the favor!!
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
Jeremy, it would help if you noted the area you live in. There could be someone local that can help you out.
Just a thought. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »
JB, we all love questions and enjoy introducing new folks to our sport.  It is also good to do a quick search for info, that may lead to more questions.
Parachutes are different for every vehicle, length of the shrouds, size and shape of the chute, mounting height... consult a trained professional, that is what you will find is the answer from everyone and every search for chute info...  Stroud and Diest are two that we have used in the past.
Roof rails can be mounted any permanent way you want.
Spectate at Speedweek, run WOS USFRA 150 Club in September, then decide if that car will work to add the proper fire system, chute, body mods and plethora of other things to make it safe and competitive...
Just my thoughts, feel free to stop and talk, I hope to be a both of those races.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »
Yeah, I think we will come to WOF and run the 150 club with the camaro.  Then, I think we will built a purpose built car.  I am thinking that 6cyl turbo classic one, maybe with the el camino.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
If you intend on doing a serious project capable of obtaining records I highly suggest researching what body is most advantageous to high speed running for the class you intend to run. A poor choice in body will cost you thousands of dollars in more HP to achieve the same speed as a body that has better initial lines. I would hate to see you build a car, spend the money and time and find out that the car will not feasibly run close to the speed you seek.

The decision on the body is fundamental and can make or break an effort.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »
If you intend on doing a serious project capable of obtaining records I highly suggest researching what body is most advantageous to high speed running for the class you intend to run. A poor choice in body will cost you thousands of dollars in more HP to achieve the same speed as a body that has better initial lines. I would hate to see you build a car, spend the money and time and find out that the car will not feasibly run close to the speed you seek.

The decision on the body is fundamental and can make or break an effort.

-JH

What JH is saying is the el camino is a bad choice. 

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »
Nothing is a bad choice. We are not NASCAR and do not dictate what vehicle or year. One only needs to find what kind of body holds the record in the class you are thinking of participating in.. One side note. Many times it's not the body but the HP under the hood; other wise everyone would use a Monza.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about that.  I possibly have a 65 4 door malibu to use, and was thinking it would have a small advantage over the el camino.  Also thinking about a mid 70's camaro.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:19:08 AM »
Once you decide what car you will build you can determine how fast you need to go and to what level the build must be.

The vehicles mentioned are all over the map.

DW

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
Once you decide what car you will build you can determine how fast you need to go and to what level the build must be.

The vehicles mentioned are all over the map.

DW

As the variety of LSR vehicles you find racing at speedweek...  :-o  There are no bad choices, look at the book, look at the cars, plenty of soft records out there, you just have to work out in your mind which ones they are, because most of the record holders don't think they have a soft record.  Have fun, be safe, go fast...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jeremy Blaze

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »
Well basically, we are going to run the 88 camaro in the 150mph club for our first time to get a taste.
 I have decided that I do not want to make it a full on salt car, so I don't think we will try the record for it.

After that, I think we want to go for that 6cyl blown record. It is 152 and some chnage, so I think it would be easier to buold a car for, in terms of chassis safety equip etc.. Not saying it would be easy to get to the record, but I think it would not have to be as much of a 'race car', at least chassis wise.

So, I want a car that has a inline six.  Looking around at what is avalibe( friends family, we have a lot of cars) so far there is the elcamino, the 4 door malibu, with are both similer, same platform anyway.

But, I was thinking the 2ndgen camaro would be a bit more aerodynamic and still would easily accept the inline, so it would be 'easier' to get to speed.

I think the camaro would be the better choice. There is a 78 down the road that looks fairly solid, may see what i can get it for.

My thoughts were decide on the goal, then pick the car that best suit it.

This is what we can to go after,   E/CBGC     152.351    

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:48 AM »
I still agree with JH, if you are serious look for the best possible body for the class you are running in.  Sure you can maybe set a record with about any body.  Our record with Hooley's Stude is an example and Studes have set lots of records out there, but we also realize we don't have the best body for a maximum effort in our class and expect our record to not last.

Since you are going to have to make a race car out of the body and it's days as a street car are gone you don't need to find a high dollar car to start the project with.  The drive train can be shot, the body can have damage, etc..  So instead of looking at what you have or what is in the neighborhood look for the car with the lowest frontal area and best Cd combination as you can find.  For example if I was looking at comp coupe I wouldn't even look at the front of the car except frontal area.  You can make the front into any thing you want, I would look at the car from the front door pillars backwards to the part of the car you can't change.

LSR is about only one thing and that is overcoming aero drag and the more of it you have the more HP you are going to have to make and even if you set a record with a lot of HP someone else is going to come along and break it with the same or lower HP and better aero.

I would also caution about looking for soft records unless you can put your project together on short notice.  They might not be soft when you get there and if they are and you set a record it might not last.  Not a big deal if it is over 200 and gets you a hat, but the 200 mph club will probably make sure the soft record might not meet their minimum to get that hat.  I would look at a class you would like to build for and then regardless of the record or non-record in that class I would look at what the record should be.  You can usually get a realistic idea what it should be by looking at the records in the engine sizes around it.  Then say could I make a car/bike that could set that record.

If setting a record is not in your future then ignore all of the above, but even if it isn't why pour money and time into something that has no future and most likely will be harder to sell if you want to get out??

c ya,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »
I know a couple of brothers running a 1950 Buick 4 door sedan, not a good body for lsr but it was FREE and not a large outlay of cash to build it. They are having a lot of fun with it.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
Money is not the only concern to make a vehicle go fast. I don’t agree with Stainless (no disrespect brotha) in that there are no bad vehicles. It is true that with enough HP ANYTHING can go fast but imo not everything should. It is not only looking for a vehicle that as better CdXA (drag by frontal area) many bodies become unstable at speed because of a potential low pressure area behind the rear window or too much air under the nose or a number of other factors that could cause flight for a car whose original max speed was no more than 80 mph. 

For instance, I was very aware when I started my Fiat X19 project that the stock bodied car becomes wildly unstable at any speed over 90. I choose MS class because it allows a number of body mods that correct the problems in stability. I will say that it would have been much easier to choose a car that had better lines but the Fiat was free. It seems crazy now because of all the money I have sense spend on the car. An investment to get a better body would of made things much easier but free seemed like a great deal at the time.

The car I wanted:
Porsche 356

Car I got:
 X19

The 356 would have been better….cant turn back now and making the best of it.
Again I suggest you choose wisely.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)