Author Topic: Barry Kaplan  (Read 6639 times)

dwarner

Barry Kaplan
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »
I was informed about 30 minutes ago that Barry passed away from natural causes in his home two days ago. Barry was 66 yrs. old.

Barry had a long history in fuel drag racing, running a Jr. Fueler before becoming involved with LSR in the 70s. He was the Kaplan part of the Carr-Kaplan partnership that set so many records at both Bonneville and El Mirage. The lakester was the first over 300 at El Mirage in 1990. Recently Barry was doing the fuel tuneups for Cohn-Jucewic.

Off the top of my head I recall that Barry was a member of the Bonneville and El Mirage 200 MPH clubs and a member of the Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame. Barry and Don Carr won the SCTA points championship several times (3?) among other honors.

God Speed Barry

DW

Offline Freud

Re: Barry Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »
That was a tough record that they established years ago on the salt.

When you say, "hard racers" their picture is in the dictionary under that heading.

Treit busted a lot of parts to go faster than they did years earlier.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »
Another major loss to LSR. Barry and Don were 9 months ahead of the first car to go 300 mph at the drags, A master tuner with the iron block Chrysler. It was honor to know him and time many of their runs.

GOD SPEED BARRY :-(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:13:07 AM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:49:43 PM »
I believe that Barry was involved in the tuning, in the early 90s, when Perris & Eaton went almost 300 in a high-boy roadster. He certainly knew how to run nitro.

Tom
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Ratliff

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »

It was quite a few years before the performance levels of the Kaplan-Carr lakester were approached again.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
   Having known Barry  since the Jr. Fuel days of the 60's and seen his LSR accomplishments put him in the record books, I must say that Barry Kaplan was a one of kind in many ways - a legend. He lived about 2 blocks away from me and we ran into each other at the gas station or grocery store about once a month - those that knew him know that he was always, and I mean always, in a hurry to get somewhere.  Back in the day, it was usually with a Budweiswer in hand a smile on his face - The best to you Barry - A Racers Racer - Pat
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:04:27 AM by Pat Kinne / Salt201 »

Offline mvwolfe

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:40 PM »

Barry and I met in 1957 at Van Nuys Jr. High School.  He had a '49 Mercury and no drivers license-this didn't seem to bother him.  We later went to Van Nuys High School and both quit in the 11th grade.  He was a master carpenter,engine builder and tuner of small blocks and iron Chryslers as long as they had a large percentage of nitro.

Barry also had a sense of humor that defies description.  Back in the early 70's he streaked the 200 MPH Club banquet as Dean Moon was speaking.  He even had a Moon sticker on.  He later calmly walked up to me and said " Monte-Do you know how long it takes an electric door to open when you are standing there naked?" 

I will miss him.

Monte Wolfe

Monte Wolfe

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »
It is a real tribute to Barry that these stories are coming out.

I remember when Tom Perris was on a return run in the roadster, in the dark, moist track, all who were left at track side with their headlights on. Tom ran in the 290s that night. Barry had been watching the team struggle and decided to go help them, boy did he ever!

When I raced with the Young Brothers we started to use nitro. I asked Barry to look at our plugs. He asked the percentage we were using, I told him the small percent and he threw the plug away saying that he couldn't tell the difference between our "load" and parts wash.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

This is a reprint of what I left on the list.

For those of you who did not know Barry he was a very special person in LSR.
Just look at the El Mirage records for unblown fuel lakester and the dates
and you will see what I mean. B/Blown Fuel at 306 was our first 300. Barry
would look at me after some of the runs and say "Not bad for Jew Boy"  and
we would laugh. He was one hell of a construction superintendent and knew
how to get the job done..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline cindywic

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:58:09 AM »
Barry was one of a kind.  Very smart...funny...and always on the go!  He loved making things go fast...be it a mini bike, a race car, or I even saw him on ice skates (running circles around everyone on the rink!).  He always made the most out of utilizing an automobile motor to its fullest...My memory was going to Mike's pizza in Panorama City and Barry taking the delicious rolls home to his friend Kit who lived on Fulton Avenue.  Barry, being the smart person he was, put the rolls (which were in a bag) underneath the hood of his car to keep them warm!!!  Like I said...he always knew how to make the most of an engine!  You will truly be missed!...and thank you for fixing the room renovation Jim did in Angie's room...without being asked, you made it perfect!  XXOO

Cindy Wichert

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »
I wanna hear about the Nomad. Wayno

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »
Benham, Markley, Deming, now Kaplan (and those, only names yrs truly knew or knew of). Add to those, Leroy Holmes a  couple weeks ago - the guy that drove C W "Scotty" Scotts 258" Ardun Belly Tank to the first-ever 200mph open wheeled Bonneville run.

On a personal note, ran into an old--time pal at a local car show -we raced each other in our roadsters at Inyokern Drags in '58 and got a picture in HOT ROD! Finally had to stop bringing up old-time friends names- too many were gone!

Just stuff we have to face, sadly, in lfe. But some of those who're gone are LEGENDS!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:39:16 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)