Author Topic: Is there an advantage...  (Read 5445 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Is there an advantage...
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:36:58 AM »
to louvering the rear deck lid of a Street Roadster?  I've noticed that a number of cars have them.

5.B.3 "...Louvers in the rear deck lid are allowed as long as they are sealed on the inside."

The picture is from the online version of the September 2007 Street Rodder magazine coverage of this year's first El Mirage, here: http://www.streetrodderweb.com/events/0705sr_el_mirage/

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

LVMAXX

Re: Is there an advantage...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »
 :-D

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:59:19 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
LVMAXX:

5.3.B is the definition section for Street Roadsters, your El Camino is ineligible  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 04:42:01 PM »
As the wind travels over the back of a roadster it tends to lift the back up.  By having louvers in the right place you can break up the air to help keep the back stable.  Depending on the body style, the position and the size and shape of the louver does matter. 

Paul Vanderly (sp) had his ’33 Ford roadster in a NASCAR wind tunnel and came up with an optimal placement and shape of louvers for his type of body. I will try to post a picture of his trunk lid soon. But I suspect most are placed for aesthetics than function.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:57:56 AM »
Maybe someone can chime in as to an actual class we might be able to run in?

You were told when you proposed your El Camino that many of the features you had to have would not be allowed in classes that the car may fall into. You have built yourself into Time Only. Not something that appeals to me.

DW

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »
In reality most of the time, my cars are "time only" My Vega was a record car in 1980 with the GMC in it. But that was a long time ago. In C/CGAlt today, no chance. So if your El Camino makes you happy, enjoy it.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »
Our Street Roadster had its decklid louvered in 1952.  I don't think a lot of thought was put into managing the air back then.  Fortunately the SCTA has seen fit to allow us to have them -- but with them sealed underneath.

I'm wondering if eliminating the door hinges and flush fitting the doors (like on Model A's) on some Street Roadsters has an even greater effect in air management.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Rich has taken the time honored "Rule of Thumb" and has evolved it into the "Rule of Finger" while having more fun.
Inrersting concept. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:44 AM »
Aesthetics, history, or a ton of aero tech dollars.  Got it!

Thanks, guys.

Mike

LVMAXX

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:59:47 PM by LVMAXX »