Author Topic: More noob questions. Suspension?  (Read 9318 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

More noob questions. Suspension?
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Just fishing for input on suspension in a car. Spring the rear only? Front and rear? Or none at all! Lemme know what y'all think. Thanks again for any input!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jimmy six

Re: More noob questions. Suspension?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Are you planning a 200+" WB? 90"? coupe? roadster? AA engine? perhaps a J? Blown? Fuel? all makes a difference.................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
Going to build a comp coupe based on a Henry J. Not sure what the stock wheel base is but I probably won't deviate far from that. Planning on running a naturally aspirated six cylinder.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
Stock henry J is 99" wheelbase.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
99 inches is a little short for CC, what size engine are you planning... I would suggest something a bit longer if you plan to go fast.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Short wheel base cars like to spin, give it a lot of thought
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
On the subject of suspension.  It pays to get good quality components that can be adjusted and rebuilt.  The ability to tune the high and low speed damping in both compression and rebound helps.   

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
My memory is that Comp Coupes generally are suspended - but darn if I know how.  You might look at Bob Merickle's (sp?) Metropolitan.  There's got to be a web page on it.  It's a beautifully built car and I'm sure has lots of good suspension ideas.  Maybe I'm saying that good starting point is to look at what others have done and try to find out why.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
If you are using the stock wheel base, suspend it at all 4 corners. Limit the travel and for the best performance use a straight axle in the front. If you are not or cannot, make it tight; you are not traveling off road........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
I am toying with the idea of stretching the wheelbase a fair amount. I never thought about a short wheelbase car spinning, but it does make a lot of sense. I was also contemplating coil over and 4 linking the rear and solid mounting the front.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
For my Studebaker Avanti I use a 4" dropped solid axle bolted (no suspension) to the frame with 17 degrees caster for high speed stability and std leaf springs in rear with two added leafs because the car has 650 lbs ballast for the D/CBGC class, car has done 216 at 4 mile with no problems. Hope this helps, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »

We have suspension on all 4 wheels on the 222 camaro, 4 link in back double wishbone in front we like the back as soft as can hold up the car at speed when spoiler downforce is working. 294mph in 1st mile.

You might get away with solid in front but as rough as the push roads can get, you'll wish you had suspension.

JL222

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »
JL22, I must say that the 222 Camaro is an awesome car! Congrats on the speed that you guys are getting out of the thing!

Dave, Did you have to put steering stops on your Stude when running that much caster?

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
Steering stops are required in the rulebook to prevent overcenter.

My buddy David now owns the Burke Bros. Avanti and I'm remembering that it has a straight front axle but a fairly stiff spring with minimal movement.  If it would help I'll ask David to post a pic - there's currently no engine so you could see pretty well.  You would think I'd have a vivid memory - we just towed the thing back from CA to NC together!

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
That would be great Dan! Thanks!!   :-D