Author Topic: First exposure to Bonneville  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Little Puke

• New folks
Re: First exposure to Bonneville
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 07:17:33 PM »
@salt27 is the guy I blame for exposing me to the salt flats. I guess it all started with sifting through his photo albums of previous WoS events. Then, the stars really aligned for me in 2007 when he brought me to SW. It didn?t take me long to figure out the humans roaming that exit 4 lakebed were just as amazing as the vehicles in attendance, which gave me no other option than to become hooked. Since then, I?ve received nothing but encouragement from my salt friends to seek out my racing dreams- what a cool environment that continues to shape me as an individual.

Thanks dad

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 07:35:20 PM »
I always sort of "knew" about bonneville but didn't really think about it until I saw the Roadkill episode with Frieburger driving the keith turk camaro. Since then it's been a holy mission.

I'm guessing this didn't make the cut for the show, but it's my favorite of those guys....

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 08:34:00 PM »
Not hard to figure which one is Keith!  :naughty
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 11:52:34 PM »
Easy to see it is about 7am... almost ready to roll to the start line.... Keith thinks I'm #1... or 11, hard to tell... :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2023, 05:04:16 PM »
@salt27 is the guy I blame for exposing me to the salt flats. I guess it all started with sifting through his photo albums of previous WoS events. Then, the stars really aligned for me in 2007 when he brought me to SW. It didn?t take me long to figure out the humans roaming that exit 4 lakebed were just as amazing as the vehicles in attendance, which gave me no other option than to become hooked. Since then, I?ve received nothing but encouragement from my salt friends to seek out my racing dreams- what a cool environment that continues to shape me as an individual.

Thanks dad

Little Puke, I think I know who gave you that name. If I recall, you helped him pressure people to buy raffle tickets. Hopefully, we will meet on the salt this summer assuming it drys out.

Offline Little Puke

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2023, 05:38:13 PM »
Gary,
You're spot on with your assumption. Though the nickname might not suggest it, Doc Freud had an extremely positive impact on me and was a great friend, I look back on my memories of him fondly. If the flats are open for service, I will see ya in August. Looking forward to meeting you

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
Young teenager reading "Hot Rod Magazine" in the school library was where it started for me.   Drag racing cars and motorcycles followed as the military.   Then at 60 I found the ECTA website and land speed entered the picture.   Built a bike for Maxton simply for transportability on the back of my pickup truck.  After a few trips there, my brother and I decided to try the salt flats. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 05:35:09 PM »
In about 1970 a co-worker at our local newspaper said an old Navy buddy of his was running a race car at nearby El Mirage.  I'd done a little drag racing with the roadster I'd bought in 1961 and had updated it to decent street use, but not drag racing use, so I was interested in the El Mirage races.  I met Phil Stevenson who just lived a few miles from me.

Phil had a 55 Chevy 4-Door (6-cyl.?) Wagon that his wife had worn out.  He'd put a 390" Cadillac with the Jet-Away transmission in it and was running it at El Mirage.  I began helping him run.  He'd drive it up to El Mirage and we'd pull the mufflers off and he'd run it in the low 120s as I remember.  Looked like fun to me.

A year or so later, in 1972, he said he wanted to drive it up to Bonneville with a goal of 150 MPH.  He'd found a 6-pot Cad manifold at a swap meet that the guy wanted $75 for.  He convinced the guy that it wasn't for a Chrysler that he thought it was, but for a Cadillac -- and Phil was possibly the only person that would ever buy it -- for $25.  I had a bucket full of 97 carbs and gave him 4 of them.  (I'd had 6 on my roadster before putting Enderles on it, plus 12 for my partner and mine's drag roadster -- 6 for gas, 6 for fuel.)

We started out to travel at night (an old BV tradition) and made it to the Pahranagat Lakes.  I slept some on a picnic table and at dawn we headed for Wendover.  We got a room at the Patio Motel -- to this day I don't know if the floor was dirt or just dirty carpeting.

We got up the next morning and went out to the course.  Phil had brought along 2 18-inch Halibrand wheels.  One, I believe had an Indy front tire, the other tire was a little wider and, perhaps a Bonneville tire -- just a little difference in circumference.  Both were showing threads through the treads.  But they by SCTA were stamped "Good for 175".

I was only there for a day or two, but Phil got the wagon up to 140s and was awarded a trophy for the fastest car driven there!  Quite an honor.  I had to Greyhound home early as my then wife said she was about to deliver our second son -- it did happen more than 2 months later.

And as for the yearly "Fastest Car Driven to Bonneville", that faded away -- but not until it had been bastardized by vehicles that drove there -- you know, like from Wendover.  The 18s wound up in my garage when Phil moved to Texas.  I've had them on my 28 Mercury Torpedo Salon for over 30 years now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 10:19:15 PM by Stainless1 »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"