Author Topic: World of Speed 2021  (Read 40615 times)

Offline RogerL

Re: World of Speed 2021
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2021, 10:39:24 AM »
Turn outs were great. hope you do them next year.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »
Monte, the course marking this year was excellent- very clearly marked and easy to follow. I hope this becomes the new standard. Thank you all for your hard work.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline TAKERRY

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
Thanks Neil it was great pitting next to you. One of these days I'll cruise down to Tucson to say hello. I'd love to see your workshop and what you are up to.
No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White . Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER. 2021 Ran 152 fulfilled a ten year dream to make the 150 club.

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »
I don't have experience with other turn outs but I will say, as a Rookie, they were very easy to find and follow.  It gave me confidence that where I stopped was out of the way and in the right spot.  Can't wait to do it again next year!
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Tom Simon

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »
As a matter of personal curiosity, I would like some feedback regarding the turn-outs on the courses.  Did they work for you? Were they marked clearly? Did it help to have the lines painted all the way from the course out to the return road?

Please let us know what you think and any suggestions you may have for making improvements for future races.

I've driven at 4 or 5 different WOS events. Content to be crew chief this year, my wife drove our black "Simon and BadDog" VW Karmann Ghia in the 130 Club class. Her first time on the salt, first time in the seat at speed.

We did the rookie orientation and course drive Friday morning on the short course, and I have to say, the way you guys marked the turn-outs was fantastic, the team knocked it out of the park!! The same goes for the 1 mile speed trap, no more confusion as in years past "do I get out of it at the 1, how far after the 1 ? "  In 2021 the "1" marked the the END of the timed mile. "One and done" is what I told her before each pass. Genius! The short course starters had radios that worked for the entire event: Oh what a wonderful thing!  :-D

Improvements: We were having trouble with the accuracy of timing at the 1 mile trap on the short course. Our in car Garmin GPS has always tracked within a couple mph of the timers on the USFRA Club course, both 1 mile and 2 mile, but not on Sunday. We had sometimes 9 mph differences, one 'no time, one 105mph time slip that was more like 135mph.

Anyone else report a similar issue?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
Thanks Neil it was great pitting next to you. One of these days I'll cruise down to Tucson to say hello. I'd love to see your workshop and what you are up to.

Call me if you are in Tucson, Kerry.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
As a matter of personal curiosity, I would like some feedback regarding the turn-outs on the courses.  Did they work for you? Were they marked clearly? Did it help to have the lines painted all the way from the course out to the return road?

Please let us know what you think and any suggestions you may have for making improvements for future races.

I've driven at 4 or 5 different WOS events. Content to be crew chief this year, my wife drove our black "Simon and BadDog" VW Karmann Ghia in the 130 Club class. Her first time on the salt, first time in the seat at speed.

We did the rookie orientation and course drive Friday morning on the short course, and I have to say, the way you guys marked the turn-outs was fantastic, the team knocked it out of the park!! The same goes for the 1 mile speed trap, no more confusion as in years past "do I get out of it at the 1, how far after the 1 ? "  In 2021 the "1" marked the the END of the timed mile. "One and done" is what I told her before each pass. Genius! The short course starters had radios that worked for the entire event: Oh what a wonderful thing!  :-D

Improvements: We were having trouble with the accuracy of timing at the 1 mile trap on the short course. Our in car Garmin GPS has always tracked within a couple mph of the timers on the USFRA Club course, both 1 mile and 2 mile, but not on Sunday. We had sometimes 9 mph differences, one 'no time, one 105mph time slip that was more like 135mph.

Anyone else report a similar issue?

Tom,
Unfortunately, you are not the only one that experienced the discrepancy in timing. It happened to a few others as well. We are looking into the issue and possible resolutions. Do do send our timers out for certification by a lab each year prior to the WoS and this year was no exception. We take these issues seriously and will comment when we are able to figure out what the problem was. Thanks for being open about areas for improvement as this is they way we will be able to move forward.

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2021, 04:16:14 PM »

Monte, first off thank you to you and the rest of the USFRA and all of the other volunteers that runs the event.  It was a great event and we had a great time! Second, The painted lines and the 3 cones made for the best turnouts of any event we have raced out there.  Very easy to find the turn outs and follow them off of the course!!
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2021, 04:17:08 PM »
Monte,
Just a quick note about the 2021 event. Regretfully Duke and I could not make it because of an engine problem that we developed at Speed Week but I did convince my good friend Ray Fioresi to run his roadster at your meet. Boy was he impressed!! and he is already planning to be at next years race.
He couldn't say enough good things about your race, we told him it was great and you didn't fail.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline rockracer

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2021, 12:46:47 PM »
I just went through all my footage from speedweek and WOS . Lots of great racing and hotrods from SW but.... the filming conditions at WOS was perfect with the slight cloud cover and way less smoke.  I was shocked at how good everything looked even the mountains in the background  .
Cant wait to start editing.  I'll post it here first.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »
I am very disappointed in World of Speed not having any photos or racing results on their web site or anywhere else, why is it that SCTA Speed Week does it so quickly and this race after 9 days still does not have any results for those at home who want to know how their friends are doing at your race, thanks Dave. :-(
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
I am very disappointed in World of Speed not having any photos or racing results on their web site or anywhere else, why is it that SCTA Speed Week does it so quickly and this race after 9 days still does not have any results for those at home who want to know how their friends are doing at your race, thanks Dave. :-(

It's all volunteers, but I think a lot of things played against coverage this year.

According to Steve (Handyguy) they were a little short-handed, and anybody running for points in SCTA was at Elmo, so the community was a bit split up.

One of the Burkdoll kids - and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember her name - was handling media support for USFRA and doing interviews on the salt with racers for the Facebook page. I know this because I was interviewed, but they were having AV issues and to the best of my knowledge, they were unable to publish any of it.

I talked with Monte on the way out and I think I'm going to try to get involved as a volunteer next year - provided the Midget doesn't require all of my attention.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »
The USFRA is a much smaller organization than the SCTA -- but their event still covers almost as much territory as SpeedWeek.  So they get spread a little thin just putting on their event.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
I agree with everyone on how great the World of Speed race and officials are, I have raced there many times and really enjoyed it, but I hope in the future they can do better at race results and photos of the race cars to make it  more interesting for folks at home. I know its a volunteer organization just like they way we put on Speed Week, glad the salt was good this year. I know my friends who race with them really enjoyed the race and the crew and will be back next year, thanks Dave.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »
Also don't forget that the USFRA website was hacked not long before WoS started.  There may be after effects of that which could be presenting problems.
Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556