Author Topic: Traction Control  (Read 58157 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Traction Control
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
Just maybe in Hammonds case, they are hitting a aero wall of some sort making the rear tires spin and causing spins. Same distance on track, same speeds. Traction control could help prevent this. a computer can tell the difference in milliseconds and help control the spining tires.

Jon, sorry but not likly. The computer shows no wheel spin at this time. An aero wall would have made it just as hard for Emmons & Howe to go over three hundred. Seth will work through it just like any other competitor. Of course if they did have TC it would not have spun, they wouldn't have set any records ether because they would have been going slower.

<small>[ November 16, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Dynoroom ]</small>
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »
I do believe the Board may have voted to strike the words "inovation is unlimited" from the rule book at the November meeting..

When I started running my roadster in 1981, I heard those famous words "The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, in the USA you will pay taxes, and roadsters spin.. It took mine until 2000 to do it; so far it's only time.

I eliminated the wheel spin in 2003 by breaking the transmission so it only had high gear. That, in conjuction with a 250 gear and 32" tires,  I couldn'd break it loose, needing all 5 miles to get up to speed. TC in the foot (wide open from the 1 mile) Nothing to do but glance at the guages and look for the 5 mile marker...

Hey maybe next year I'll just radio in my HP, Drag #'s, Gear ratio, planned RPM etc. and they can award me the record, Cert, and Timing tag.

One note: Lee G's modified is a new car and 240+ is fast...Sometimes it takes a little time to sort out problems and TC may mask some of them.

4 Pages and gaining ground...What a thread!!! JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »
As far as driving talent goes if anyone that races at Bonneville and does not have an F1 team or Winston Cup well Nextel Cup team endlessly leaving messages on their voice mail is not a pro.

A better test would be would all the LSR drivers that think they are as good as a pro driver please take one step back in the line.

That will leave 2 kinds of drivers. The ones that are actually pros and that is what they do to pay the bills and the ones that know they are not and realize they are in fact no where near pro caliber but have some fun driving a fast car or bike every now and then.

With the amount of available seat time in a LSR car there is little or no way anyone can reach the skill level of a pro driver, they get more seat time in one week than most LSR guys get in several seasons..

So drop the ego and lets all admit the drivers for the most part are amatuers..
 Same goes for the real ability to feel wheel spin in the 3 to 5 % range that will still kill a tire.

Dave Dahlgren

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2004, 06:02:00 PM »
So JD if all you need is high gear why did ya buy the big buck 4 speed I heard about or is that all just a fantasy some one else had when I heard about it??
 Dave Dahlgren...

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »
quote from desotoman...
 "More food for thought, at the Board meeting Alan Fogliadini got up and stated he had just talked to Al Teague. And Teague stated he was against traction control. Now here is a man that has probably gone over 300mph more than anyone else. Who has had his share of shreaded tires, who has lived this sport along time. Not many people more qualified than Teague to voice an opinion on this subject. "

Hmm let me think this is the same Al Teague that has an electronic slip indicator in his car and 3 special construction records or a different one?? Actually this is what I have been told on several occasions by people that inspected the car.. so it is hearsay..

Absolutly hilarious does anyone ever condsider the source or even give anything a little thought?? Excuse me pardon me the tablets are being handed down from the heavens... Hello wake up...
 Dave Dahlgren

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »
Put your tire company liability hat on for a minute and think.
 If a tire failure was caused by a wheel that was wider than recommended by the tire company, how do you think they feel about the organization that allowed it to happen, if it did?
 When they read about all of the feelings related to TC, what do you think they are going to do?
 Is it possible that they will require traction control to limit liability?
 An unenforceable rule is no better than winking at a girl/guy in the dark.
 Does anybody remember the GMC truck driven by Stringfellow?
 They had a real time satellite feed to a motorhome on the Salt and also monitored by the home office.
 They got beat by a Monza made into a Buick with a V6 and a 850 carb.
 Oh, that was FIA, never mind. Apparently, money doesn't win races but speed does. Safety will help the future.

<small>[ November 16, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
Here's the bottom line.  In the past 20 years the automotive industry along with the aftermarket industry have learned how to electronicly monitor and/or reprogram the performance characteristics of the entire drivetrain to the point that some of these changes are undetectable to even the trained profesional.  I personaly hate computers, and everything they have brought forath in the industry, but lets face it, they are here to stay, and nothing stays the same forever.  I run my car in the classic catagory, so I don't anticipate traction control ever being allowed in my class, however, its time for the board to come to grips with the reality that in this new age of electronics, there is no way to control or for that fact even find electronic traction controls.  I can understand the "purists" point of view, but you guys are fighting a UNWINABLE BATTLE.  Why not amend the rules if for no other reason than for safety?  Don"t let your egos overrun your common sense.  We don't need any more tragic high speed accidents, especially with the current problems with tire manufacturing and chute failures.
 Bob
Bob Drury

JohnR

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
Bob,

I agree with you 100% except that I love electronics and the freedom it allows to make the engine do what you want. Because of that, I don't run the classic category.

The great thing about our sport is the diversity in what shows up at the starting line. Not everybody shows up with your idea of a hot rod, but that dont mean it should be banned. I want to see classics, vintage rods, semis, motorcycles, sidecars and yes, even high tech cars all in the same line at the same event. That is my idea of heaven.

Thanks for seeing both sides.

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
Dave Dahlgren, I have also heard that Al had some kind of gauge that would indicate when he was getting tire spin, revealent to the front tire speed. That is all. It does not control anything. It is just for information. No different than an oil pressure gage. It allows the DRIVER not COMPUTOR to make an informed decision on how to drive the race car. You lost me, what is wrong with a unit that detects wheel spin and lets the driver decide what to do?

Regards,
 Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »
Dave D! I'll never be a professional driver. I  have always known it. Cut a few good lights at the drags (very few).  The "big buck" 4-speed worked as planned. Started in 1 to 1 which is now 3rd and was only planning on using the overdrive .96 if needed. My son did use it and shifted as planned with no clutch (shift it like your stealing it) and it worked perfectly.  To bad we changed so much in the fuel delivery system we didn't find out how good it may be.  I'll continue to use it with my parts wash motors from now on. Since I'm now back to my own stuff maybe I'll get to try a scoop or air system designed for it..I know Ill be talking to you again. JD... Still glad I'm not on the board. Right Dan
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
Tom, I don't know how fast you have driven, but I can tell you personaly that having driven the same car 220 mph that I first drove at l60 mph, there is one hell of a lot less reaction time to get yourself out of trouble. In your earlier post you refered to the fact that Al Teague has more 300 mph runs than anyone else. Whats your point?  Every driver starts out at zero, and Al had the benifit of many runs before he went 300, let alone 400, but what about the driver who is just steping up in a new or faster car?  Every run is a new learning experience, and you seem to want to deny a practical safety device for those who choose to run it.  It is impractical for a new driver to make a multitude of "sneak up" passes until he or she get into trouble.  Do you still use a hand crank drill motor at home?  This is  the time to think about safety, not the purity of the sport, and yes this is a sport, a sport with a lot of thrills and heartaches, but not a sport where safety should be overruled by ones self imposed "historical correctness".
Bob Drury

Ken Walkey

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »
"Desotoman"-once again, What has being 73years old (and a Streamliner driver)got to do with TRACTION CONTROL ???

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2004, 09:06:00 PM »
Dallas
 Me thinks a rear steer propster would solve the TC thing. What the heck it's a wide open inovative class of the future, just ask Frankie.
 LOL.
 Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ken Walkey

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »
Glen- would we have "Unlimited" diameter and pitch of the prop, or would the board put it in a "Limited" class ?

Offline joea

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
the quotes below speak volumes and  really sadden
 me

""""I was at the rules committee meeting and I voted... when someone wants something to pass real bad it is always classified as a safety issue..... """"

"""This issue was submitted by a person who is 73 years old....SCTA should be looking into putting an age limit on driving streamliners....

""Finally, a guy in our club has traction control on his Audi. At World finals he ran 150mph without it. With it he ran 178mph. A net gain of 28mph with the aid of a computor driving with him.""

Desotoman,  I am utterely sure your heart is well placed, TRUELY wanting the best for landspeed racing and SCTA, I can see being uneasy
 about unknown territory

Discourse like this can only help in the long run

JOe  :)