Author Topic: Traction Control  (Read 58154 times)

JohnR

Re: Traction Control
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by jimmy six:
  Nice answer John, more complete that I really needed. I not only respect your honestly but also expected it.  .... Good Luck with this J.D. (Thank God I don't Vote)
I know there was a reason I liked you.   :cool:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
No one has addressed this from my original post  so here goes. Do any of you care what functions the driver is responsible for in running the race car? Why do you want to take the control of a race car away from the driver? Does the driver play a role any more on how fast a car goes? In the name of safety should we just let the Motec unit run the whole car. Maybe we should get rid of the 200 and 300 mph clubs, because it is obvious to me you want to get rid of the driver and the skills they posess. We could start an new 200, 300, 400, 500 mph clubs that would only let car owners in, since the driver is just sitting in the car and going for a ride, maybe watching his favorite DVD on his pop down screen, while the computor runs the car. Yes isn't technology great. I don't think so.

Regards,
 Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline joea

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »
yeah and we need to get rid of all that
 other electronic crap, cuz a real man
 can manage the fuel and ignition events himself just fine with cables/weights/springs..........

matter of fact, a real race team should have pre
 1940 tow rigs, and generate his own electricity ....

I will be happy to let the monkey try to watch
 dvd's on my bike while tc takes care of the rest.......

I tell Ferrari to save alot of money and put
 me in the computer controlled F1 car.......

Joe

<small>[ November 16, 2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: joea ]</small>

JohnR

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »
Tom,

That's an interesting point. I have thought of Land Speed Racing as more a test my skills as a builder/tuner than as a driver. Maybe thats why some cars put lots of people in the 2 club. Was it the people or the car they drove?

I don't drive 300 MPH, I putz around at 160 or so and to be honest, there is not alot of skill involved. At least not as much as making the 1,487cc engined full size car that can go that fast.

Maybe that's the difference. I see myself as an Engineer, not a driver. I just happen to be the one who drives the car when it runs. I see TC as another tool (not) available to me and I want to be able to use it, to Engineer a better race car. Does any one else feel this way or am I in the minority?

John

JohnR

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by desotoman:
 because it is obvious to me you want to get rid of the driver and the skills they posess.
Ha Ha, Tom, I miss more shifts than I make. I wish I had an Auto-Trans!

:p  

John

Offline DallasV

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
Wow, I didn't know it until I started reading these posts but I have been using a rudimentary TC system for years. Here's how it works: sensor #1(eyes) monitors the rpm,s, sensor #2 (ears) monitors the sound of the engine, sensor #3 (ass) feels the rear end breaking loose. this data is sent to a CPU (brain) and then a signal is sent to the throttle control mechanism(foot) and the required adjustments are made. I really like this system it's a little more challanging than some of the newer TC systems but it's a lot more fun. When too many of the actual driving skills are taken away it seems to me to be like a really loud vidio game. I do however think that in the unlimited classes it should be exactly that..Unlimited. It makes more sense than putting wings on modified roadsters.
 You know what would be the ultimate TC system. Put a prop on that sucker....That was for you Glen.

Later,
 Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

landracing

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2004, 04:23:00 PM »
Ok wait WE NEED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

What is traction control? Defined by the SCTA.

WHAT was the tech committee investigating? Safety or taking the driver away from the car??

Would traction control if working correctly been able to or prevented excessive tire spinning leading to a accident or a spin.

Ok I hear the argument of being a man and being able to detect tire spin. Are you saying earl wooden, Seth Hammond, Lee Guftason, Wilson/Waters crew and the many countless people who have spun they are not good drivers.

Just maybe in Hammonds case, they are hitting a aero wall of some sort making the rear tires spin and causing spins. Same distance on track, same speeds. Traction control could help prevent this. a computer can tell the difference in milliseconds and help control the spining tires.

Just more rants, I guess this is post like 15 or something Romero but I think all but two posts are very relevent to the info at hand.

Jon

JohnR

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dallas:
  ...I have been using a rudimentary TC system for years. ...
HE ADMITS IT!!!!!
 BAN HIM!
 BAN HIM!
 BAN HIM!
 OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!

:D

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
Dallas.... if you were any good at that stuff your sister wouldn't spank your butt... maybe an upgrade to a newer cpu is in your future...

I don't think anyone is saying that you have to run TC by the way... ( look Dallas doesn't )

Ps... Tell Megan we miss her back east...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

landracing

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Dahlgren:
  I have a great puzzler for everyone.

How would check an electric car for traction control?

Good question dave, the one that runs out there works under tarps so I cant see much with panels off.

Jon

Offline DallasV

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
Easy Jon...Just saying it's a lot of fun being able to feel and control what the car is doing, not questioning anyones driving ability. That's all I need is all the members of the 360 degree club lining up to whoop my ass at the next meet. all though it is amazing to me that KT hasn't looped his car yet...I've seen him spin out walking thru the pits. My new vote is it is mandatory anyone who has spun to have traction control. I also think I saw TC on one of the barstools out there.
 Just making waves for my own amusement.
 Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
Geez, I spun twice about 100 yards from the starting line at speedweek this year, so maybe if I can convince my crew that it was a faulty traction control, they won't think I am such a doofus...
 Doofus Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »
p.s.  I actually only spun once, but saw the mountains go by twice.....
 double p.s.  Dallas, that is a classic Quote.  If you don't mind, I might tatoo it on my chest.
Bob Drury

landracing

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »
So brings another question on how to police it.

If for example the Electric car goes, and I can't ever see the vehicle, because when they are in the pits they work under tarps, when they tow to line all panels are on, when in impound they work under tarps, I never get to thourghly look at the vehicle. Who knows what they do under the tarps they are under them all the time, maybe removing and installing stuff who knows? If I would decide to challenge that is does have traction control,

How or what does the scta do to investigate it? How do they know what to look for? Do they impound the vehicle? For how long? If you have to do it in writing within a certain period of time. How about after the last day of event? I protest. What does the scta take the vehicle home with them to inspect? If the car is already in tow home how do you investigate it?    

Just ranting some more.

Jonathan

landracing

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
There was a comment off the list here that was made, why do you slow guys care if there is traction control, you dont see any fast guys complaining about it.

We lets just say I beleive in Innovation, when you limit someone in an unlimited class or say you can or can't do this that limits innovation and if its about safety on why you cant, OK. I may not personally use it but I will fight for the people that can or would like to use it. The bottome line is I love the sport, I love the freedom of the sport, and I love speed wether its me or the next guy, or the super fast guys, or TC allowed production geo metro's its all about going fast safe and fun. TC would or could make it safe lets try it. You outlaw rear engine roadsters, but you let them run. They are proving a point you can go fast with it. How about a stepping stone and allowing it to test it.

Jon