Author Topic: Top this one!  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Top this one!
« on: August 15, 2023, 01:11:57 PM »
Two weeks ago tonight I was at the motel at Wendover contemplating the whichness of what - when I got a call from a couple of racers from the Detroit area.

"Hey, Slim.  We're at the Super 8 and we heard the people in the next room speaking with an accent and we talked with them for a minute and you should come say hi.  It's Robyn Munro, Burt's granddaughter!"

She was on the way to Sturgis, it turns out, to attend the induction of her grandfather in their Hall of Fame, and on the way there she wanted to visit the hallowed ground where he'd raced.  Robyn hasn't been to the US before this.

Okay, with all of that said - Robyn Munro will arrive at our house tomorrow night for a few days.  And I don't even have a copy of the movie in the house!!

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline drc42

Re: Top this one!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »
If you are an amazon prime member you can stream the movie for free.  Re-watched it just last week as I was getting ready for BMST!

Offline noboD

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »
She's proly already seen it. What would impress her more is the book by George Begg, his best friend. George was a test driver for McLaren. It's way better then the movie.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 07:01:51 PM »
Slim, not sure I can top it but I'll try!

I heard she was there and I wanted to meet her as well. I met Burt in 1970 on my first trip to the salt!
He was the old fart then and I'm his age now!  :-P

My buddy Jerry and I adjusted the valves on his Indian at his request. (Jerry did not take my picture. :-()

https://www.landracing.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=213&pid=8988#top_display_media

In 1975 Burt copped a feel with his free hand on my wife:

https://www.landracing.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=215&pid=10047#top_display_media

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 07:16:50 PM »
O M G    I love this site

Offline will6er

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 09:35:25 PM »
From what I've heard, they "cleaned" him up quite a bit in the movie.

Will Willis
6302 XO/GC

Offline gofast

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 10:02:33 AM »
Are you bringing Robyn to Maine for the races there? Its about time you showed up.
Im thinking she wants to see a lot more of this country.
Anyway, thanks for the introduction. Robyn is wonderful!
Marcia

Two weeks ago tonight I was at the motel at Wendover contemplating the whichness of what - when I got a call from a couple of racers from the Detroit area.

"Hey, Slim.  We're at the Super 8 and we heard the people in the next room speaking with an accent and we talked with them for a minute and you should come say hi.  It's Robyn Munro, Burt's granddaughter!"

She was on the way to Sturgis, it turns out, to attend the induction of her grandfather in their Hall of Fame, and on the way there she wanted to visit the hallowed ground where he'd raced.  Robyn hasn't been to the US before this.

Okay, with all of that said - Robyn Munro will arrive at our house tomorrow night for a few days.  And I don't even have a copy of the movie in the house!!
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 10:22:46 AM »
Well, Marcia, I hadn't thought of taking her to Loring.  For that matter - a few weeks ago I hadn't thought that I'd be typing this post while she's upstairs shaking off the effects of a long ride with me yesterday.

I don't know what Robyn's itinerary holds fort anything past her time in the U.P.  I figger I'll find out soon enough...

Yeah, I'd visit another old B-52 base to watch fast bikes and cars in a minnit -- but not this time.  Winter draws nigh and I've got two years' of chores calling to me.  And at the instant - I've gotta figure out what to show our visitor from the Antipodes.  If we do anything cool I'll letcha know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 11:44:29 AM »
people, who meet him personal....and I talked......well.....Hollywood done him right for the cinema screen..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

From what I've heard, they "cleaned" him up quite a bit in the movie.

Will Willis
6302 XO/GC
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline gofast

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 04:07:05 PM »
Well, Marcia, I hadn't thought of taking her to Loring.  For that matter - a few weeks ago I hadn't thought that I'd be typing this post while she's upstairs shaking off the effects of a long ride with me yesterday.

I don't know what Robyn's itinerary holds fort anything past her time in the U.P.  I figger I'll find out soon enough...

Yeah, I'd visit another old B-52 base to watch fast bikes and cars in a minnit -- but not this time.  Winter draws nigh and I've got two years' of chores calling to me.  And at the instant - I've gotta figure out what to show our visitor from the Antipodes.  If we do anything cool I'll letcha know.
I know Robyn will have a great time what ever she chooses to do. Have fun!
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2023, 04:42:03 PM »
I met Burt in 1968 on the salt flats. I was there at the invite of Joe Petrali who was timing Mickey Thompson and Dany Ongais while they were setting records with Mustangs. He wanted me to see how things worked out there before we showed up with The Blue Flame in 1970 (should have been 1969).
Burt and I were sitting on the sidelines with plenty of time to talk. Benchracing on the salt flats - WOW!
Burt was quite a story teller and fun to talk with. He told me some of his history, which I later saw in the movie. I had a chance to look over the bike, also. It looked much better in the movie. He seemed to be an instinctive engineer, using homespun logic in his approach to making the bike faster. That is what we call "genius".
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2023, 11:13:50 PM »
Wow, I had the same experience with a guy named Dick Keller quite a few years ago at a Shootout...
The folks you might meet on the salt... a big WOW....
The most interesting folks frequent the salt...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 05:29:59 AM »
Yep, Dick, Burt was that what Lockhart and Arfons was on four wheels, just to call some names and Warby on water....

racers without a engineering background....they simple know it.....for Burt, very often it was....try it, test it, fail....try again...get it running....

in Germany we had a so guy, too....Herz....the engine he used in 1956 was his masterpiece....the NSU engineers got this engine never running....he worked it out...he was a carpenter....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)