Author Topic: Writing a Book about Speedweek  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Writing a Book about Speedweek
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Now that you have seen Wprlds fastest Indian, get a copy of Worlds Fastest Motorcycle and see a documentary instead of a fictionalized version of Burt.  It covers the 3 bikes when Denis and Carr left with the record.

Worlds Fastest Motorcycle is the best presentation about Bonneville I have ever seen.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DallasV

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
We need to see if we can get you in the timing trailer with Glen for a while as well. Not only does Glen have an abundant knowledge of speedweek you can also see how frantic it is timing 3 courses and how these folks have perfected it. Glen is this doable?
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
By the way... Stainless1 mentioned, "Keeping the Facts Straight". I heard you and let me give you a little background...

I'm a mechanical engineer, Chris (helping with the book who works with Dallas) is a Quality Engineer and the photographer is either an electrical engineer or almost who works at a farily high tech Solar power outfit.

If we don't get our facts straight, our skivvies bunch up tight in all the wrong places  :-o and we can't sleep at night.

As much as possible, whenever a storie's about one thing in particular like the one about Dallas' Roadster http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/volk-bros-1929-salt-flats-record-roadster/ we'll ask for a proof read.

I hope to tell a "story" somewhat, to make things interesting and readable, but it won't be fiction.
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline 754

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
That movie is not great for accuracy..

Did inspire me to ride an old bike to BUB, with a 25 yr old severely Beat On, motor... got a lot of ,
 You rode here on THAT !

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
There are SO many ways to go with this but in the end all I really care about is that you get your facts straight! If it's about land speed racing we'll read it. If you get your facts straight we'll love it & recommend it! If you don't, we'll hang you out to dry! LOL If you can't confirm it then say that! "We couldn't confirm this but the story goes..." something like that & we'll know it's the "unconfirmed" legend. Those are still worthy of the read just as long as you don't try to pretend its a confirmed fact. You're already on this board so it's pretty easy to post a question for clarification and factual support. As you've seen there's a lot of folks with opinions on here but there's also a lot that know the facts or have access to the facts!

My personal pet peeve; Learn the difference between a record and a title and state them properly! I'm still trying to figure out who the "Fastest Woman in the World" is and just what that mode of transportation was? Rocket shuttle, space ship, broom? Who the heck really knows? Most likely the true title has absolutely nothing to do with LSR! We do tend to be a bit narrow minded at times!

I think you could do an entire book by asking only one question;
So how did you get involved in Land Speed Racing?

Personally, if I had to narrow down what I want to read I'd vote for the prior suggestion of seeking out the old salts and getting the old stories down in print while we still have the chance! A lot of greats have passed by and none of us are getting any younger! There will be a lot of people around to tell today's stories a few years from now but will there be enough around a few years from now to tell the stories from way back when?

Good luck with the book! I'll be out there but I'm going to bet I won't run into you! LOL I tried to run into a lot of people last year and unless I purposely stalked them it just didn't happen! hehehe

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline mkilger

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »
why ask Glen? ask Frank  he chief Timer  :-P see you soon Glen

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
I think you could do an entire book by asking only one question;
So how did you get involved in Land Speed Racing?
Debbie

Thanks for your input Debbie.

One of the other neat talents I have as an engineer (or maybe it's just a character flaw) is trying to put 10lbs of you know what into a 5 lbs box.  That's the main reason I'm soliciting info.  Gotta stay focused!!

Pike
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:01 PM »
Just the other day I told Todd the story of how I got into land speed racing, now that you mention the topic, and I expect my story is just as strange (to the outsider) as the next racer's story.  Ask me, out there, this summer.

As for what ought to be in your book -- I agree that what ought to be there is accuracy first and foremost, so that the folks who do know the correct information about any particular item -- don't see your erroneously-stated fact and instantly lose faith in the rest of the book.  I'll here and now offer to help with proofreading and spell-checking, because no matter how much folks protest -- well-written and spelled literature is best.  "Spell Check" programs are only as good as the training of the geek that writes the program -- which, it seems, doesn't promise well.

And finally for this post -- here's a great photo to show the wide variations you'll find out there.  I've referred to it as "Nancy in fast company".  Roadster, Burkdoll's 'liner, and my sweetheart at the line, with Jim Jensen (the starter) doing what he does so well -- get us going, one at a time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »
Even the Volk Bros push truck!  :) 

Offline DallasV

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
why ask Glen? ask Frank  he chief Timer  :-P see you soon Glen
because Glen is easily accessable on this site. And would he have time to sit and BS with someone while trying to time 3 courses? but my apologies if you think I am not following protocall.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
Dallas I was just messing with Glen, but he didnt come back on it, he must be packing getting ready to go . come say hi I will be running the Ert again this year. mike