Author Topic: Writing a Book about Speedweek  (Read 8448 times)

Offline michael lueders

Re: Writing a Book about Speedweek
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
Just my .000002 pesos worth.

The old stories should be written.
The stories of working a lifetime to then spend all your money and family vacation time on the salt.
The families,wives,sons, daughters, brothers and cousins who have been bitten by the bug and now participate.
The many ways to fill the long hours of waiting
The whole Wendover vibe of East and West. The old Wendover versus the new.
The people who drive 2 days just to sit in the sun and watch, while not participants they really are crazy in their own way.
The sweat and heartache of trying year after year, sometimes for a decade or more trying to win a record and a hat.
The whole ancient lake history
The back story on course workers who give all their free time so others can race
The story on negotiations and agreements to pump salt back onto the lake so we can race
The locals who embrace the racers and those who don't
The comradeship of the racers who will lend pretty much anything to strangers and competition alike.
The fellowship of impound
The nervous waiting in the tech line for the first time
The same after a record
The salt being the great equalizer between high dollar factory teams and the true home schooled engineers

Many stories set on a rich canvas that can only be really appreciated while standing in the context of the vast salt flat under a hot sun.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:17:25 PM by michael lueders »

Offline MyRideisMe

• Can't wait for my first Speedweek
    • Hot Rod and Custom Car Community
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »

The old stories should be written.
The stories of working a lifetime to then spend all your money and family vacation time on the salt.
The families,wives,sons, daughters, brothers and cousins who have been bitten by the bug and now participate.
The many ways to fill the long hours of waiting
The whole Wendover vibe of East and West. The old Wendover versus the new.
The people who drive 2 days just to sit in the sun and watch, while not participants they really are crazy in their own way.
The sweat and heartache of trying year after year, sometimes for a decade or more trying to win a record and a hat.
The whole ancient lake history
The back story on course workers who give all their free time so others can race
The story on negotiations and agreements to pump salt back onto the lake so we can race
The locals who embrace the racers and those who don't
The comradeship of the racers who will lend pretty much anything to strangers and competition alike.
The fellowship of impound
The nervous waiting in the tech line for the first time
The same after a record
The salt being the great equalizer between high dollar factory teams and the true home schooled engineers

Many stories set on a rich canvas that can only be really appreciated while standing in the context of the vast salt flat under a hot sun.

Michael,
Did you hear that? It was the sound of "cut and paste" into our book's outline.  Fantastic ideas!  Well written and thought out, thank you very much for taking the time.  Please make sure to find me on the Salt.
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
It might be interesting to explore the views of the participants towards the fans who have discovered Speedweek as a "Happening" since the "Worlds Fastest Indian" came out.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »
Yeah and you might find it taking 2 or 3 volumes and tons of pictures.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »
Included the ones that allow us to depart the asphalt world and enter the world of the salt addicts.

Lands End Lynda and her staff are there when we arrive and still there when we leave.

As dedicated as any racer, I promise you.

No coverage would be complete without Ed and Cris Shearer, even though they won't be there this year.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
I do not see how we could not include Criss, Ed and Lands end Linda as Particpants. They most assuredly participate in all that goes on with the racers in some way.

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
Yeah and you might find it taking 2 or 3 volumes and tons of pictures.

That's the key, write Glen?  Gotta make a book, not an encyclopedia!

Lands End Linda and the Shearers... if they're not there, someone's gonna have to help with that.
Pictures of all my cars including my 1927 Lakes Roadster Modified called, "Bonnie"

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
I saw another post with OLD pictures from Speedweek.  Would that fit in a new book?

Offline Bville701

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
I would talk to as many people as possible. Volunteers, inspectors, Older Racers, Younger Racers, everybody has stories and they are all great ones! You can't go wrong with that. Maybe ask to sit at the timing stand, or in impound, or to ride in a push vehicle. This might help you see what this family sport is all about. There is no other type of racing like it. One line will have a 400 MPH streamliner and the other a 50 MPH motorcycle, where else are you going to see that?!

Godd luck with your book and I hope to see on the salt!    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »

Michael,
Did you hear that? It was the sound of "cut and paste" into our book's outline.  Fantastic ideas!  Well written and thought out, thank you very much for taking the time.  Please make sure to find me on the Salt.

You can find me easy enough..follow your nose or just follow the rockets at the Eastern end of the pits!
You'll know when you get there. ;-)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 12:07:41 AM »
Gary Brauer will be doing  Ed's and criss job this year, and I will be doing the ERT again  boy I could write about bonneville and wells Did you know about Wells ? Good storys there  :roll:I didnt know about it till last year  :wink:

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
Great ideas everyone.  Luckily we (MyRideisMe crew) have DallasV and Volk fam to help guide us.  Looks like we may try and get a ride in the Volk push vehicle if there is room.  :)  

Hopefully #59 doesn't try and push a valve through a piston again.  Ouch.  The bummer's and breakage at the Salt is definitely part of LSRacing.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:38 AM »
A tape recorder would be a great idea.
You NEED to seek out Tom Bryant.
Getting with Freud and raiding his foto collection and memory.
Getting Glen's thoughts on all the years in the tower, and even before.
Do this book the way it has to be done. Please, please, please don't compromise.
Thank you for doing this.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »
Folks love to see their passion in print... If you include 200 cars and bikes you will sell at least 200 books... pictures with crew around will increase demand...
Keeping the facts straight is always important unless you are a fiction writer... Don't write what they are gonna do.... write what they did.  Good Luck.... hope I have to buy one of your books....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MyRideisMe

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
It might be interesting to explore the views of the participants towards the fans who have discovered Speedweek as a "Happening" since the "Worlds Fastest Indian" came out.

I should probably be beaten about the head and shoulders, but I hadn't seen "Worlds Fastest Indian" until last night. I'd heard of it before, but when I saw it starred Anthony Hopikins, ("I ate his kidneys with some fava beans and a nice Chianti") I assumed it wouldn't be a movie about Bonneville or be all that interesting at all. I was dead wrong.

After the movie, I did some research and found what I think are a few "dramatical liberties" with the story, but I'm taking it as a mostly true account.

So RichFox, I think I'll add to my list of questions, "What made you come to the Salt for the first time?"
thanks!

I've got a higher expectation of the friendships and comradery I expect to find on the salt. I'm already seeing it here on this board.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:00:12 AM by MyRideisMe »