Author Topic: Bonneville Salt Flat Reality Show...  (Read 42089 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Bonneville Salt Flat Reality Show...
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
My problem with some (not all) of the salt reality and "documentary" shows is that they allude that there's some connection between the racers and the recent ragged spectators with "vintage" race cars and weird rat rods towed in to the event.  This contingent of radical street cars showed up in droves after WFI, and while they do buy passes, I'm not sure SCTA couldn't survive without them.  And, boy, do they take up a lot of rooms, too, for their mainly towed-in car show.

Last year's World Finals was gorgeous.  It felt like the circus had left town and took all the clowns with it.  Too bad we can't all count on the weather with that event's 50/50 cancellation probability.

Now I'm in trouble,
Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
Spencer,
Don't listen to the naysayers. They are car guys and can't build fast or go fast. You said you want to follow CAR builds, but why cut out the motorcycle side of LSR? You should include at least one M/C build because that is almost half the contingent at any LSR event. Racing motorcycles have just as much viewer appeal as cars.

Thanks and good luck to your project.
Don Pearsall.

To answer the question of motorcycle racing, simply put, we didn't think of racing motorcycles. Probably because non of the production staff is a motor cycle rider. We are indeed open to any potential.

This is an independent production company, with the goal of filming and broadcasting events as they actually occur. Our vision of this project is to show the world the passion which so many have in their machines and the pure adrenaline rush of racing their vehicles beyond that of the posted speed limits of our day. If you don't want to be a part of the project, that's fine. I don't recall forcing anyone to be on film. If you wish to share your passion through this project, then we want to film you. That's all. Once this is picked up by any one of the cable broadcast stations to whom we are pitching the project we plan on including as many times as we are allowed the "Save the Salt" project. I have been in contact with USFRA, and they were the ones who directed me here. In short (probably too late for that) my passion is to tell compelling stories, and I know that you in this community have compelling stories to tell about racing, no matter how you go about doing it.
WEEINC
Willard Entertainment Enterprises INC

Offline Tman

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
Spencer, you sound sincere and I wish you well on the project! :cheers:

I hope the amount of beer consumed while building a car does not scare folks! :-D :cheers:

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
Spencer, you sound sincere and I wish you well on the project! :cheers:

I hope the amount of beer consumed while building a car does not scare folks! :-D :cheers:

Drinking doesn't scare me, and I doubt it will scare most of America. It's all part of the experience. Besides, anyone who's ever been on a major motion picture knows the rivers of alcohol that flows free there. It's the personal drive that is the real race. It's not just beating the clock or speedometer, it's racing life itself. The need to be better. The perfect metaphor for life is you guys doing all in your power to build your dream. Personally I am hoping that this project is a go and that your stories will inspire viewers to pursue their passion with as much zeal as you all have for your dream. It might be idealistic and pollyannaish but might as well be totally honest here. I do understand the skepticism and sarcasm. Most of us expect the worst in mankind.

For those of you pursing your dream, you don't let anyone talk you out of building your vehicle. I am the same way with filming. We do have a common ground though in vastly different directions - and perhaps speed (literally).
WEEINC

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
I agree with Stan, SW has evolved into some what of a circus event over the years & I'm sure that SCTA, BLM & the local Law have had to adjust themselves to meet it. By tuesday its back to racing as it used to be.
For a racer, it is nice to run one of the other meets & I especially think USFRA's WOS has a good feel to it.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Geez---to whomever agrees to this I can't imagine how much fun one could have; trying to juggle your life, finishing  your car and adding another kind of reason to ones "cap" obsession mixed in with a film crew:

I for one would have to get scrap dumpster to haul of the metal from the fabrication reserve "recycle" area before my wife would let anyone in the back yard.

Maybe I would qualify as a RECYCLE GREENIE--Al Gore & the Prez would become  a fan of LSR's SAVE THE SALT --Then  "the Pres could order a full restoration to the Salt Flats racing surface with the MINE Tailings south of I-80 in as the poster child for recycling! ---just imagine  :evil: :evil:  where this could lead to--

First it was 200 red---missed that by 2.5 mph due to a minimum---7 years and 3 rebuilds latter got the red but missed the blue 300  by less than .5 mph---now they come along and come up with a new color-- Black for 400!

If I am clairvoyant-- there are at least a couple of people wondering what color a 500 cap might be---white for a good guy or yellow for a bolt of lightning!

Here's to our wonderful "MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION"  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   HATS
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
Stan I have to chime in again, last years finals was the most awesome event I've been to on the salt.  The weather, the salt conditions, I think the most rewarding memory was when the modified sports was doing his back up run.  When the car started to flutter at before the 2 mile I was going aaah maannn!, and then he went by the 3 mile like a bullet, holy crap I couldn't believe it.   :-o  I won't say anything negative about the announcing.

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline dw230

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
Work in progress Steve.

If you enjoy the Where They Raced Youtube series then you have met the same guy.
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
spencer, was it you or your crew that shot a preview/pilot for this on the salt a couple of years ago?  i remember a certain 50's chevy showing up with a bolt in roll bar and being asked to do a 'mock' inspection and rookie orientation on camera.  or was that a different group?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
spencer, was it you or your crew that shot a preview/pilot for this on the salt a couple of years ago?  i remember a certain 50's chevy showing up with a bolt in roll bar and being asked to do a 'mock' inspection and rookie orientation on camera.  or was that a different group?
Alas no. I only know of a very few projects that were either feature legnth films like the "Fastest Indian" or documentaries like "Bonnevile Boys". Besides we are not interested in staging anything. What ever is captured on film is a documentation od real life experiences.
WEEINC

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
I honestly can't believe I just sat here and read all these posts..... Well thats just another reason our projects are way behind schedule. Good luck scwillard with your project and as a side note, I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of pissed off people if you choose to shed a bad light on the willing participants. That does seem to be the way of reality shows. I hope the respect due our sport and its members are at the forefront.

Offline dw230

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:22 PM »
Spencer,

I am not a "naysayer". If, and when your team gets to the salt please come and visit me in the Impound area. We are a little bit removed, but it all happens here!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:13 AM »
I honestly can't believe I just sat here and read all these posts..... Well thats just another reason our projects are way behind schedule. Good luck scwillard with your project and as a side note, I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of pissed off people if you choose to shed a bad light on the willing participants. That does seem to be the way of reality shows. I hope the respect due our sport and its members are at the forefront.

There's no challenge in showing the worst of mankind. The challenge for us is to show the best of mankind as they strive to achieve their dreams despite the setbacks and risks. I simply wish to show the human drama of the effort it takes to achieve one's dream. Those who's blood is immersed in the throttle have a dream and passion which will not be stifled. It's the quintessential pursuit of happiness quest which all mankind has the yearning to endeavor. The drama is overcoming physics, finances, mechanics and most of all, one's self.
WEEINC

Offline scwillard

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:02 AM »
Spencer,

I am not a "naysayer". If, and when your team gets to the salt please come and visit me in the Impound area. We are a little bit removed, but it all happens here!

DW

Should fortune shine on us, we certainly will.
WEEINC

Offline Geo