Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Build Diaries / Re: Speed Queen II with 92 c.i. twin
« Last post by Jack Gifford on May 10, 2024, 12:41:31 AM »
As usual, progress is slower than imagined.
Cylinder head ready to go, patched up to not leak any coolant.
Cracks in block TIG welded, but stress (of detonation and of welding) caused #2 main bore to be out-of-round and oversize. So I used my "pseudo align bore" contraption to bore it round again, at .030" oversize. The #2 main cap isn't distorted, so I'll just use .015" brass shim stock under the block's #2 main bearing half.
Instead of sourcing a smaller blower, I'll run the 14-71 very slowly- 19% of crank speed. This required building a jackshaft for two stages of belt reduction drive, which is ready to go. 30mm wide belts in place of the original 3".
The crank is still at Moldex, don't know yet if it can be used.
Regarding the ugliness in the photo- the stresses destroyed the tight press fit of the lower ends of the steel sleeves, so a bunch of JB Weld was needed to close coolant leaks.
Items Wanted / Re: 15 Inch Moon disc
« Last post by Elmo Rodge on May 09, 2024, 01:45:03 PM »
Clay, I may be able to help you. I'm in Salina but I'm getting ready to head to El Mirage next week. I'll look today.
Wayno
Items Wanted / 15 Inch Moon disc
« Last post by Clay Pitkin on May 09, 2024, 12:58:00 PM »
WTB good used 15" Moon wheel discs,

Also interested in Jig for mounting tabs as well.

Yes, I am aware Moon has these brand new. However, I am going to be machining the used ones, and I really don't want to cut up brand new ones.

TIA,
Clay   
For Sale by Private Parties / Re: Bonneville- El Mirage gas-fuel roadster
« Last post by cheap-n-dirty on May 09, 2024, 10:19:20 AM »
still available
Bville Motorcycle Speed Trials General Chat / Re: BMST 2024 Rulebook Available
« Last post by racergeo on May 08, 2024, 09:54:19 PM »

Should ad a bagger class. Two categories, leather and fiberglass.
Bville Motorcycle Speed Trials General Chat / Re: BMST 2024 Rulebook Available
« Last post by AHG on May 08, 2024, 04:00:43 PM »
Bet they don't have that many classes.

I'll take bet.
What do you consider "not many".
There are 23 different classes for internal combustion engine displacements ranging from 50cc - 3000cc, and a variety of electric classes.

THE place for (what you think is) funny stuff. / Re: Blonde joke
« Last post by floydjer on May 07, 2024, 05:46:07 PM »
Getting back on topic.....Marybeth and her fellow blonde gal pal Janet went to a bar and pulled sandwiches from their purses. Bartender says.." You can't eat your own food in here"....So they swapped.🤔
Bonneville General Chat / Re: The camera on the salt flats
« Last post by Stainless1 on May 06, 2024, 05:47:03 PM »
Saw that during the storm on the movie that played yesterday... was ugly out there for a while.
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by ronnieroadster on May 06, 2024, 04:51:31 PM »
The time slip shows your engine was still pulling from the 3/4 to the mile with the 2:48 gear. From my experience comparing speeds gained in the final 1/4 of the mile most will gain 10 to 15 MPH in the open wheeled class such as yours and the class I run with an engine that makes good power. The reduction in speed with the 2:22 gear could simply be the engine is no longer in its happy torque range trying to push into the wind.
 Ronnieroadster.
Build Diaries / Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Last post by Mike Brown on May 06, 2024, 02:53:21 PM »
We ran the ECTA mile this past weekend in Arkansas.  The new rear suspension with coil springs and adjustable shocks was a handful.  I started with 5 clicks (of 18) from full soft on both compression and rebound.  The car was almost undriveable with so much twisting under acceleration.  I moved up to 10 clicks then 13 and it was better.  The best run was 204+ in the mile, note that I have been 210+ on this track last year.  That was spraying the NOS for the last 1/4 mile for the 204 pass.  The 210 pass was without NOS.  The restriction that I put in blower bypass valve did help, I did not break the tires loose at all after shifting.  I think that it is a traction issue, the 210 run had a tailwind while the 204 run was against a headwind.  The data shows about the same RPM through the traps for both runs, or my clutch is slipping.  I have a couple of inputs left on my data logger so the plan is capture tire speed for the front and rear wheels.  That should help figure this out.  I was almost at the rev limiter (6,500 rpm) on both runs, with 2.48:1 rear gears.  I switched to 2.22:1 rear gears and went slower (199+).  I plan to do some testing at the dragstrip with the original rubber springs.  Going fast is harder than one would think. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10