Author Topic: Sealing DD steering shaft  (Read 2503 times)

Offline 836dstr

Sealing DD steering shaft
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
I'm redoing the steering in my Roadster and was wondering the best way to seal the 3/4" Double "D" shaft as it comes through the firewall at a bearing support.

My thought was to weld some metal strips to close tolerance 3/4" I.D. washers along the flats of the shaft, and using a stack of 3 or 4 and some type of retainer to hold them against the bearing but let them "float" with the rotation of the shaft.

Any other ideas?

Tom

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Sealing DD steering shaft
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:41:41 PM »
Have/can acquire an old worn out double d universal joint?

Cut off the yoke and then set screw the remaining female end to the shaft to ride against the bearing?

Ed

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:07:50 AM »
From the bearing supply house, you can buy collars to fit the OD of the shaft with a set screw.
Fill the small voids that remain with the same RTV stuff you use for hot applications on the motor.
As with most things on an LSR car, it is either time or money. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Thanks Ed,

I went from a homemade steering box with straight cut gears to another design using sprockets (where ratios can be changed- currently in slow down mode) and 40 pitch roller chain. This dropped the output shaft about 13 inches and the new shaft is nearly parallel to the frame rails, thus eliminating one U-joint that can now be used as you suggested.

Jack, thanks for your suggestion also. Your comment about LSR and "time or money" is oh so true. Even more fitting would be "time and money".

Tom