Author Topic: Fossett short list - one of the 25  (Read 11687 times)

Robin UK

Re: Fossett short list - one of the 25
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »
Well you'll be pleased to know that I've had an illicit peak at Eric's short list and can tell you that the 3 favourites are called Clinton, Obama and McCain. Never heard of any of them before so they obviously need the publicity. Maybe they're new ECTA members determined to go straight in at the deep end.

Robin

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
Those 3 have already solicited me for a donation.
McChain can wave the starters flag.
Billery wants to drive.
Ohmama can light the match at the rear.
It sounds like a very worthy cause. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline flatout freedom

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »

I hate to say this and no offense to you guys/gals outside the U.S., but I thought that some of this attempt was to bring the record back to the United States and if you put a brit driver in the car it seems they would still have some bragging rights due to who the driver was.

Sum

Vehicle and Driver = U.S.A. all the way

Thrust SSC and Andy Green = U.K. all the way

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:30:04 PM »
I figured that they were built in air bags..............

............................ And she comes with her own floataion devices so that's
always a plus. :-D .........................Deb

Thank Deb, the question of why I could never float has been finally answered  8-).  I'll be able to sleep better now,

Sum
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline woz

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 11:48:02 PM »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
"A smaller driver will have advantages in entry and exit, visibility and control.

from the article

You know it's funny, as a small woman I've always needed a pillow or booster seat for good visibility. Besides, I'm not sure what height & weight have to do with how you can see. Do they really expect us to believe the peep hole is so small you need a little head to see out? Once ya stick the giant helmet on you're within an inch of the big heads anyway.  :roll:

I guess I'm just cynical. If you seek to pick a woman driver to me that just negates any notion of trying to find the best driver. A woman CAN be the best driver, but if your focus is on the gender first are you really going to come up with the best?

It's a shame though, if one of the women proves to be the best driver all this crap about having to pick a woman gives it a negative undertone. So much for the best driver for the job.

Maybe some day we’ll all just be racers.

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »

"A smaller driver will have advantages in entry and exit, visibility and control.

I'm not into horse racing, but if they are looking for a small person with some big ones they might look into some of those jockeys and if they can control those horses even though they are only 1 HP I'll bet some of them could learn to drive also.

In addition with the event of power steering in race cars a lot of the really good drivers now in the different circuits are also very small, but I guess if you are worth millions already the risk factor might not be worth it along with scheduling problems.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
The whole size thing just saves the team a lot of work. I'm only 5'9", and when I joined the Ack squad, they had to relocate the pedals and move the controls around just so I would fit. (and reshape the seat pan) The cockpit was designed for Jim True, who is a little shorter in the legs. Apparently so was Jimmy Odom.

I'm not sure in Fossett's machine if moving the controls is even an option... Finding a pilot with the right skill set and dimensions narrows the field a bit. I agree it should go to the most qualified, but they have their own parameters to work around...

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »
interesting Rocky, so did YOU make the short list or are you too tall (or broke) for the short list?  :-D

BTW, as one of the faster people amongst us, if you were tasked with finding a pilot for an 800mph vehicle, what would you look at in the way of qualifications?

(sooner or later I'm going to figure this out!)
Deb

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
A number of years ago as Shirley Muldowney was recovering from her crash in Canada, she remarked at a gathering that physical size and conditioning had a great deal to do with the survival, and rate of recovery.
The remarks were actually directed at an old friend of hers  (Kallita) who was at the time driving a Top Fueler.
They are both doing better now, and getting older gracefully. :wink:

"Don't make the same mistake the first time."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
Fill in the blank for me here Jack, are you saying the friend was a bit out of shape & that was a little prompt from her to get it together?  :?

(DeeDee the crash dummy sits in my workout room to help remind me to get myself in shape for race season! LOL)

Deb

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
The good thing, if there is any with a crash in a land bound vehicle is that you are already on the ground.
If you are not prepared to survive it with the best materials and methods available, perhaps you should work on that, or do something else. :wink:

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »
Deb, I don't know enough about jet engines or how to manhandle one at speed to have much of an opinion on who is right for the job. We tested several years back with Breedlove on private time, and he asked Denis about me then. The first couple of days we actually went faster than they did. I think my best run was around 291, and this was around '97-'98.

I love speed and the excitment of pushing the envelope within my capabilities. I'm happy where I'm at now...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
I offered him the use of my spare equipment at that test.
He declined, and relied on the air speed indicator.
The salt surface was also not very well suited to the application of his wheels. :wink:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »
I love speed and the excitment of pushing the envelope within my capabilities. I'm happy where I'm at now...

Good to hear! Look forward to seeing what this year brings for you!
Thanks for the response!
Deb