Author Topic: to join or not to join?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Bob Drury

to join or not to join?
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »
Anyone who has read many of my posts know that I have been a frequent critic of the SCTA's policy on releasing information to the masses (specificly BNI members), and certain rules and regulations.  I have never considered the SCTA and its membership the enemy, rather a group of my peers who have the same goals as I, but maybe don't share the same point of view as I on all matters involving LSR.  After much soul searching, communicating with a few members, and reviewing the postings on this site over the last couple of years, I find myself asking "what am I doing to make the situation better"?  I have always stated that I have no interest in joining the SCTA because I don't run the dry lakes, have no interest in their finances, know very few members personally, and have always considered myself a free spirit.  I have come to the conclussion that the best way myself or any other non-members can be of any positive help is to become a member and seek change from the inside.  This doesn't mean that I am throwing in the towel when it comes to looking at issues from both sides, I just have a growing sense of futility with using only this site  as a forum.  Hell, I don't even know if they will let me be a member, but I personally think that I can do more for change if I try to learn from the inside, not by throwing bricks.  I will, however, never stop fighting for the little guy in all of us, and I believe this site is the best thing to happen to the LSR community since its inception.  This site beats the hell out of fifth person correspondence  or inuendo.   The reason I am posting this rant, is not to blow my own horn, rather to urge the rest of the non-members to examine what they feel is the best way to create positive change in our racing community.  Still a rebel at heart, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
to join or not to join?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 12:24:02 AM »
Hey going to the "dark side" like John R :wink: .  Good for you :D .  When my life calms down a little I might look into it also.  

I'm interested in the dirt, but afraid of it on 4 wheels :oops:, so you will probably only find me in a car on the salt, but I wouldn't mind going to some El Mirage meets.  Not right for just the Calif. guys to be having all the fun  8) .

c ya, Sum

Offline Freud

Speak now ...........or forever remain silent
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
Bob's original thought of joining a club to be an SCTA member to have a word in "change" has now been supplemented.

For the first time ever, people who are not SCTA members, have been asked to contribute suggestions that could lead to rule changes based on input from the people that frequent this website. Dan Warner's recent post that solicited racers opinions is a unique opportunity for "outsider input."

Here is a direct link to the thread
http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1256

For your own sake, if you are a racer and figure that you want to be considered in a ruling, post your suggestions. Plants never grow if seeds are never planted. By the same example your ideas can never be developed unless you express them. Approach this the same way you would with your racing companions while having a beer. It does not have to be elaborate. It does not have to be eloquent but it SURE AS HELL NEEDS to be expressed.

Never have I seen a governing body be so straight forward as this offer. If you don't help Dan in this regard, never again open your mouth and bitch about not getting any help from the rules committee. This particular question may not regard the vehicle that you race but as a builder and a racer you do have an opinion on many subjects that never involve your own vehicle. Express those ideas now because if you don't you may never have the opportunity when it regards something near and dear to your own racing effort.

Landracing.com has achieved this offer as a result of being here for quite a while and making a valiant effort to elevate LSR. Honor Jon by being a supporting contributor at no cost to you. He seems to absorb the costs and never whimpers. It's the least we can do to pay him his well earned respect in the racing community. If you don't contribute ideas, send him some money.He can understand that. He has always signed the meager checks that I have sent.

Dan, you are one bold SOB to let this motley tribe soil your virgin brain. You were fortunate to get the Red hat when you did for after this "class assignment" you may revert to slobbering and fogging your glasses.  I still can't understand how you were able to tolerate me over all these salty years.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:20:08 AM »
I will comply.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

to join or not to join?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:40:44 AM »
I appaud Bob and Freud for their comments. In the past I have helped Dan with his hard work on the rules.

Whether you want to hear this or not the first words out many of the committee/board members is "Who does this rule effect?" or "Who's 'personal agenda' is this?"

Many rule suggestions are immediatly thrown out because of these 2 statements. I believe the association wants the input of the members, because with out them we are no where, but they need to be for the good of the entire association and it's ideals and not for personal gain.

Ok! Ok! I know it always doesn't work out perfect but it's what we have and the alternative of no speed trials s--ks.......My $.02...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
to join
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »
Bob
My club has an associate member program. It get's you club letters, SCTA membership, and other things. Being out of state you are not required to pull duties etc. like the local members. You get a lot of feed back and have the club ties to assist you.

PM me your address and I will have the club send you a package. Tom Bryant is a northern Calif member and we have a biker in Canada as well as several other out of staters in the club.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

to join or not to join?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
Glen, are you sure your club includes SCTA membership with an associate membership? If they do what is the difference between a regular member and an associate member in your club? Just curious. Thanks. Tom
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

SCTA
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 06:06:47 PM »
Guys, thanx for the E Mails on joining a club.  I am going to try to get in the SDRC, only because if I run out of cash, I can either get a job at the Tijuana WalMart, or work as a Quote Interpreter for Dolan on this site..........Thanx again, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

to join or not to join?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
Glen, thanks for the PM.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

to join or not to join?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 11:58:23 PM »
Freud,

This is a long over due reply. I was touched by your early comment in this thread. I'm just a guy who figures that if you stand on the gas longer than 1/4 mile it must be better.

I am involved only because I love the speed. But, above that is the people who are a part of LSR. I'm just trying to give back a little.

You are one of the easier people to get along with -

DW