Author Topic: Wendover's Atomic History  (Read 3083 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Wendover's Atomic History
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/Wendovers-Atomic-Secret.html I thought you guys might enjoy this article on the early days of Wendover

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Wendover's Atomic History
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »
A fine story.  Thanks for the link.  I read it during my lunch break - and now I know lots more about the history behind the Wendover airfield.  I'd recommend the read to all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
My 1st trip to Bonneville/Wendover was in 1953. The Air Base was pretty much intact at that time. Not being smart enough to take any pictures at the time I am sorry now. I remember driving around some of it but not a lot of information was availble to the general; public at that time.

The book (Winds of Change) by Ronald R.Bateman ISBN 0-9745983-2-1 soft bound, or ISBN 0-794983-1-3 hard bound are a treasure of the Wendover city and Air Base. A full chapter on the Bonneville salt flats history. Last year the books were available at the Air Port and the visitors center. If you can still get them they are worth every dollar.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mtkawboy

Offline osti

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
Great little read there. Thank you for sharing it.

DocBeech

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
I always love reading about old army air fields. Love field here in dallas was the training base for WWI fighter pilots!

Offline AJR192

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
I went through Wendover on a train to Elko yesterday and they have removed about 1/3 of the siding and roof from the big hangar. Looks like the restoration is rolling along still. The SCTA trailers looked alright in the storage lot next to the tracks too...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
 The 509th bomber squadron had a reunion in Wendover back in 1990, if my memory serves me correctly & Colonel Tibbets was in town. In all the years I worked for Al Teague, that was the only time I recall him leaving the salt before the day was done & we were in the middle of an engine change. Al has always been a huge history buff & is well versed on the legacy of Wendover & the 509th. I would liked to have witnessed the 'history meets history' event,
Paul Tibbets, Chuck Yeager & Al Teague but Betsy needed a transplant. Sid.

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »
Treit was there when the monument was dedicated.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »
Fortunately we had a connection to the history in Ben Jordan, heard a lot of stories on the drives to the salt from Denver, the lakester was not named the Bockscar by accident.

Some of the folks may remember all those old guys around Wendover during speedweek in 1990, that was the 509th reunion.  Quite a few of the guys came out to the salt to watch the races.  One in particular was an honorary member of our crew, Fred Bock, the normal pilot of the Bockscar, the airplane Chuck Sweeney piloted to drop the bomb that proved we could do it again.  As a little tidbit, the Fatman was basically the same size as the 10K LB blockbuster bombs the B-29s from the 509th were dropping.  Fred and his crew dropped the last bomb of the war on Koromo Japan, Aug 14th.  The bomb totally destroyed the town located on the outskirts of Nagoya.... it was later rebuilt and renamed Toyota.... yep they started making cars there...

Wendover was picked because of the remoteness... easy to spot a stranger in the middle of no where... notice they didn't move it, it's still there  :roll:

guess it took too long to write, ya beat me to the 90 info...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »
God Bless those boys that hung their .icks out soa many years ago!@

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
I am so amazed at the rapid development of aircraft and other technology during that WWII period. Just as an example, it was a less than 15 months between concept of the B-29 and when they started rolling off the Boeing assembly line. I am sure there are even more amazing examples of development too. It just shows what can happen when you are really motivated and the government throws all the money it has at a project.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
The year they had the reuinon there were a bunch of Japanese race teams that had cars shipped over in containers & raced. It was kind of strange seeing the Enola Gay bunch there with all the Japanese at the same time but there were no problems. Im guessing they were too young to even know about it