Author Topic: 50th Anniversary NSU Record  (Read 9185 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
50th Anniversary NSU Record
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:37:34 PM »
May be you heard, that Heinz Herz, the son of the late Wilhelm Herz, who set the first motorcycle record faster than 300kph and 200 mph, at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the 4th August 1956, will race a replica of the famous NSU Delfin III during the BUB meet in September.

I was a little bit involed in this project.

So I like to show some picture of the project - I couldn't do it before due publishing rights of a magazine.

In June we done the first test runs.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
Some more picture from the test run.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
In Juli, the bike was in the Windtunnel. We was interest to know how good was the measurements in 1956 and what a drag got the Replica.

Unfortunately, the fixing frame didn't work properly, so the test was not succesfull - the frame affect the airflow too much.
Pork Pie

bak189

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »
Hey, Pork Pie....the bike looks great, I am looking forward at seeing it at the BUB Meet.....just like I remember seeing his Dad's bike back in 1956.
I just hope that he can find a moment with no wind (with that tail).....I remember that was a problem back in 56's....... wind.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
Heinz will bring a lot of picture from 1956 - may be you be also on.

By the way, was you there when Wilhelm crashed the Baumm streamliner.

We will check the Baumm also in the next time in the windtunnel - we are interest if the Baumm is a lifter in the back. I got the opinion that the Baumm crash was caused by (cross) wind.

If you remember that there was a lot of wind problems, it would be interest if to this time was there also wind or it was calm.

If you be at the BUB, see Heinz and talk to hime. especially about the wind, he will be glad if he got some more information from 1956.

And it's right, Heinz will need a calm moment with the Delfin III, but during the test run, alright he was "slow", we got also some wind with about 8 mph, and it was good controlable.
Pork Pie

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
How about this
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:02:58 PM »
Pork Pie, the bike looks great! Sounds like a wonderful project but who's wind tunnel was that? Good size test section and is that a rolling road?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »
About time bikes like this were run again ,I have some information on the origional bike ,where can I get information on the replica and or origional ? I hope everything goes as planed and the wind stays down
thanks for the post
Gary
slower than most

bak189

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:00:03 AM »
Gary......it is my understanding
you people run under the same rules as SCTA/BNI.......That means a replica bike like the "NSU" could never meet Tech. at one of your meets.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »
Quote from: bak189
Gary......it is my understanding
you people run under the same rules as SCTA/BNI.......That means a replica bike like the "NSU" could never meet Tech. at one of your meets.

Yes our rules are more or less the same , except for special construction which are much more open to specials , but not like the above bike ,maybe in the future ,so thank God for meetings like Bub's
Gary
slower than most

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 06:03:42 AM »
There was some question on once... :wink:

The windtunnel is a university windtunnel in south west of Germany, which is also used by Formula 1 teams.
This a rolling road windtunnel with a extremely sensitve scale - during the first try a nut was forgotten - alright, the drag was similar like the Empire State Building... :D

Gary, due to this that you hang around in down under,

There is the website. Also there will a flyer, I don't know how much Heinz produced. There will be also a film documentation - from the beginning of the project to the runs at the salt.

I got in the moment only one flyer - my own one, sorry.

To the bike himself. The original idea was to run the bike in August, during the Speedweek. But the SCTA/BNI regulation didn't allowed to run this bike, not as a historical anniversary run - may be, if it would the original - but the Deutsche Museum in Munich, didn't gave us the bike.
There is "original" replica in the Hockenheim Museum (where the Formula 1 race course is), but this one is not useable.

So Heinz build the replica. He will run the bike now during the BUB meet in September - unfortunately I couldn't be there - I booked for the other three meets - under the FIM regulation - there is the bike allowec.

So this bike will make another "attempt"... :wink:

Dennis Manning from BUB helps a lot to get this managed, another big support was Daniel Wright from the USFA, thanks to this guys.

And at last Ellen Wilkenson from the USFRA - she was clever enough to forward Heinz e-mail (he send to the USFRA) to my address - without her, I think that Heinz would stand now in August on the BNI trailer and would ask if he can run the bike..... :?  :D  :shock:
Pork Pie

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 06:09:27 AM »
By the way, the landracing.com is the first place where this picture is shown - before was only written notes about this project published.
Pork Pie

bak189

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 11:16:56 AM »
Thanks to Denis Manning, Eric and Delvene Manning, Ken Cooper and many volenteers a bike like the "NSU" would be a museum piece if it were not for the BUB all M/C Meet.
Maybe is is time to to a long look at ALL the M/C rules for landracing accrosed the world.....so that projects like Heinz's bike have a more then one meet to race.
What say you, Gary, after all you are the M/C person down under.....
do your own thinking....and write your OWN M/C rules.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:59:09 AM »
To my opinion, it's not necessary to change the rules.

The today technologie allowed to build a so kind of motorcycle streamliner with a proper safety frame. The only thing what had to be done, is a kind of firewall between engine and rider. The tubes for the rollcage could be done in high strength steel tubes, which will not reduce the space for the rider. A "seatbelt" is also possible - see Jack Costella and his Theorem IV.

The biggest concern is the handling, the rider has to use a airshifter, due to this that the rider is kneeing in the bike - what I mean - the lower legs are parallel to the ground, behind the feet are no space for a gearshifter.

Heinz is using a airshifter, and it works well during the test runs in June.

By the way, I attach a (double) picture, the top picture shows Heinz during the test runs - a small irritation - we done the sponsoring sticker off from the digital picture and also it's in b&w - the bottom picture shows Wilhelm Herz 50 years ago on the place - I catched Heinz in the nearly same view - not to much different  :wink:

Ps. I have to apologize for my bad grammar in the last, longer note I wrote - I was very tired - too busy.....
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 01:18:23 PM »
Neat Pictures!!  

Looks like the original ran a little more ground clearance other than that it looks the same to me.

c ya soon,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »
Hey Pork Pie...In order for Heinz's
NSU to race with BNI he would need more the a firewall and belt.
Firewall:SEALED, Engine,fuel,batt.
Fire Extinguishing System.
Roll-Cage: two..one before the riders head... one after. Riders head movement limited to 2 inches either side
SEat Belts and shoulder Harness
with arm-retraints
And  then to top it off a PARACHUTE
and Skids.