Author Topic: Cab Pass Through  (Read 1616 times)

Offline CM Fab Man

• New folks
Cab Pass Through
« on: June 24, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »
Hey Guys, new here.

I am in the process of starting a BF modified mini pickup. We are running twin 66mm's (probably rear mounted) and was wondering what rules I am allowed to do about running intercooler/exhaust through passenger side of the cab? Can I build a sub firewall assembly on the passenger side if it completely sealed form the drivers compartment? Planning on welding the body and the cage together.

Same with Fuel, can I run the fuel line through tubing through the cab? Makes mu life much easier under these little trucks. 

last question, can I weld A and B pillar gussets to the front and main hoop of the cage?

Thanks!
@cm_fabman

Offline MRK

Re: Cab Pass Through
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:53:58 PM »
Hey Guys, new here.

I am in the process of starting a BF modified mini pickup. We are running twin 66mm's (probably rear mounted) and was wondering what rules I am allowed to do about running intercooler/exhaust through passenger side of the cab? Can I build a sub firewall assembly on the passenger side if it completely sealed form the drivers compartment? Planning on welding the body and the cage together.

Same with Fuel, can I run the fuel line through tubing through the cab? Makes mu life much easier under these little trucks. 

last question, can I weld A and B pillar gussets to the front and main hoop of the cage?

Thanks!

If you plan on running in an SCTA or BNI sanctioned event, I suggest you talk to someone within the SCTA technical board to help you with these questions. Start an email string and document everything. Check section 16 of your rule book for the committee heads to contact. They will help you along so you don't get hassled at tech.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline CM Fab Man

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:47:50 AM »
Thank you for the advice. I'll do that now.
@cm_fabman

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:06:06 PM »
I'm remembering a very well-constructed, beautiful Studebaker that had the exhaust running thru the passenger compartment.  The only trouble I remember was on the first run.  Maybe the coating, maybe the floor, maybe something else -- but it smoked up the interior in a serious manner.  They probably had run the motor before, but maybe not with the doors closed and full throttle for a lengthy time.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 11:36:06 AM »
Any part of the vehicle that is sealed from the drivers compartment is not through the drivers compartment.  If you plan to have a "half cab" drivers compartment with a sealed firewall to the passenger side or sealed below the dash, then those items are not passing through the drivers area.  Just remember sealed means sealed...
Good luck with your project...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 11:58:31 AM »
I would run a pipe within a pipe. With the outside pipe sealed to the inner pipe. On the intercooler line install a drain to check for leaks.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 03:19:01 PM »
. . . and be sure to run it a while to cure the paint and sealers.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"