Author Topic: Craig Breedlove  (Read 3237 times)

Offline TD

Re: Craig Breedlove
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2023, 02:21:22 PM »
Black Rock Desert, September 1997.

Offline N72727

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 05:45:17 AM »
The Super Spirit of America. What a shame that this project could not be completed.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 10:16:48 AM »
From the release by the family

Norman Craig Breedlove, Senior
March 23, 1937 - April 4, 2023
Breedlove Family Media Contact: ?LandSpeed? Louise Ann Noeth
louise@landspeedproductions.biz

American five-time World Record Setter Norman Craig Breedlove, Senior, 86, the first
person to surpass speed marks faster than 400-, 500- and 600- miles per hour, died
peacefully in his sleep surrounded by family Tuesday, April 4, 2023, in Rio Vista, CA.
"He was an American treasure, said wife Yadira Breedlove. Our hearts are heavy
today letting him go, but we also acknowledge Craig's courage and bravery seeking
motorsports honors for the United States of America. For decades, his deeds touched
many, many people around the world."
Personally, Mrs. Breedlove, aka "Yadi", added, "I shared my life with a wonderful man
that I will always admire; he filled me with deep, abiding love. My intelligent, strong,
happy, brave, humble husband saw life with great positivity and was always full of so
many projects! For 20 years I have known joyful love, complicity, respect, and learned so
much by his side. He will forever stay in my heart!"
Son Norman credits his father with demonstrating how to shepherd dreams
forward. "What I admired most about dad was his tenaciousness," he said. "He simply
would not accept rejection and repeatedly went back to people and companies until he
got a yes".
Of equal importance was his father's exceptionally high quality of workmanship. "He
built things as if they were pieces of art," recalled Breedlove junior. "He taught me to
always give it my best reminding me that if you are going to build it, build it to last"
The Breedlove stamp of approval endures. "He taught to care about what I do," said
his son. "I'm so gonna miss him."
Breedlove Senior's humble hunt for speed began in his teens spending four years
rebuilding a junk three-window ?34 Ford Coupe. In 1955, at age 18 and without any
fanfare, he collected his first time slip on the Bonneville Salt Flats at 152.80MPH in Class
C Coupe and Sedan.
Inspired deeply by the line from JFK's '61 Inauguration Speech "Ask what you can do for
your country" Breedlove put the words into jet-powered action reclaiming world honors
for the USA on August 5, 1963, with a 407MPH mark.
Dethroning Britain's John Cobb, it was the first time an American's name was on top
since 1928 when Ray Keech posted a 207.552MPH record driving his White Triplex.
"It was the most patriotic thing I could think of," Breedlove often recalled. "I wanted a
name every American could be proud of, and Spirit of America seemed like a natural."
This ushered in years of record-setting swaps with brothers Art Arfons, Tom Green and
Walt Arfons driving their Green Monster jet cars.
"Their rivalry made each other," offered Tim Arfons, son of Breedlove's long-time rival
Art Arfons. "Without each other I think they might have ended up as a historical
footnote instead of splashing the front pages of newspapers worldwide for years."
Breedlove's astonishing accomplishments inspired The Beach Boys to include the
song Spirit of America as a tribute to him on their 1963 Little Deuce Coupe album. All
Breedlove's jet-powered cars carried the same name through his 60 year-racing career.
Blue Flame rocket car driver Gary Gabelich ended Breedlove's hold on the absolute
World Record when he clocked a 622MPH record in 1970, but it did nothing to weaken
their bond. In his 1971 book, Spirit of America, Winning the World's Land Speed Record
Breedlove inscribed:
"To Gary, With my admiration and sincere gratitude
 for your friendship and help. Always."
Breedlove was voted into Motorsports Hall of Fame of America (1993), Dry Lakes Racing
Hall of Fame (1995), International Motorsports Hall of Fame (2000), Automotive Hall of
Fame (2009). He earned life membership in the Bonneville 200MPH Club (1963)
In addition to his wife Yadira, Breedlove is survived by sister Cindy Bowman, children
son Norman Craig (Stacy), daughters Dawn Marie and the late Chris Maureen Breedlove,
grandchildren Stephanie Finnegen, Thomas Perry, Liana Perry, Tara Van Wieren, Brook
(Breedlove) Hart, and great grandchildren Jacob Thomas, Presley Perry, Parker Perry,
Paige Perry, Brenton Hall, Ryan Hart, Wren Hart and godson Luis Portilla Figueroa.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:32:55 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2023, 11:23:45 AM »

Does anyone else see a resemblance to the Carbiliner?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tallguy

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2023, 02:13:14 AM »

Does anyone else see a resemblance to the Carbiliner?

Only in the wheel fairings, in my opinion.  The carbiliner was possibly the most streamlined vehicle to ever race on the
Salt Flats, in my opinion.  If not for the crash, I am confident that that car could have been the first wheel-driven vehicle
to ever set a record above 500 mph.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2023, 07:11:30 AM »
Some similarities but I'm outside the loop.
Carbiliner was aero superior in my opinion.
Rob was onto something there.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2023, 03:20:44 PM »
Looking at the Carbiliner, I am struck by its very small frontal area. Rob was a serious contender for 500mph.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline gray63

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2023, 05:23:16 PM »
And a very good friend to many of us.
I miss seeing his smiling face at land speed events.

Offline rockracer

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2023, 07:54:48 PM »
That "super spirit" has a f35 feel to it,  way ahead of it's time.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2023, 12:47:14 PM »
The Spirit of America 3-wheeled jet car (thrust powered) was the inspiration for our The Blue Flame rocket-powered land speed record design. We spent some time at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry measuring the car and taking photos. At first, we were concerned because the FIA required "4 wheels, not in a line, and steered through 2" to qualify as an automobile. Craig's records were certified by the FIM as it only had 3 wheels, steered through 1. Finally, we asked the FIA what would be the minimum allowable track dimension for the 2 "steered wheels". They told us there was no minimum dimension specified. So, the front 2 steered wheels were placed 1 inch apart in The Blue Flame. FIA officially okayed the front track of 8.7 inches. Thank you, Craig, for the inspiration to build The Blue Flame, the last American automobile to hold the absolute world land speed record (630.300 mph mile kilometer record, 1,014.656 kph) the first above 1,000 kilometers per hour. We only ran at reduced power in 1970 in order to comply with Goodyear's mandate to not exceed 700 mph that year. The AGA sponsor cancelled future attempts at full thrust, a business decision. But, we had bettered Craig's FIA 600.601 mph record.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »
The illustration was the solution to the steered wheels approved by the FIA.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
The Spirit of America steered the single front wheel with a cradle supported by a 4-bar linkage system. We used the same concept on The Blue Flame after inspecting Craig's car at the Museum of Science and Industry. Thank you, Craig.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2023, 09:35:55 PM »
As first run in 1962, Spirit had no wheel steering, depending on that rudder-like thing on the nose.  This didn't work. In 1963 it returned with a steered wheel, a fin out back, and the rudder reduced in area.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 09:45:11 PM by tortoise »