Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 550249 times)

Offline RMotooka

• New folks
National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #615 on: July 23, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
     Hey, Everyone.   Yesterday I sent a email to Tim Milkulski, he is the manager of Public Affairs at The National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington DC. Here is a quick blurb on what they do:

The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a privately funded nonprofit organization, works to save America’s historic places. Recipient of the National Humanities Medal, the Trust was founded in 1949, and now has more than 300,000 members and supporters nationwide. Staff at the Washington, D.C., headquarters, field offices and 27 historic sites work with members from coast to coast, and with thousands of preservation groups in all 50 states.
     The role for the National Trust can include providing targeted technical assistance in advocacy, marketing, planning, legal assistance, development, heritage tourism, Main Street or other areas of preservation related expertise.

After explaining the issues I believe are impacting the Salt Flats and requesting his help here is the response:

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much for writing about the Salt Flats and letting us know about the issues the site is facing. We would recommend you consider nominating it for our National Treasures program. All the information you need to have it considered for our portfolio of endangered places can be found at http://www.savingplaces.org/apply.

Best,

Tim

Tim Mikulski  |  MANAGER, PUBLIC AFFAIRS
P 202.588.6083

NATIONAL TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
The Watergate Office Building
2600 Virginia Avenue NW  Suite 1100  Washington, DC 20037
www.PreservationNation.org

If you think this is worth the time to pursue please take a few minutes and look at their website http://www.savingplaces.org/ and take a few minutes to fill out the online application at http://www.savingplaces.org/apply. I believe the more help we can get the better...  the more public awareness the better.

Cheers.  Randy.

Offline Liberty Garage

• New folks
Re: National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #616 on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »
The interest everyone has in saving the salt for our racing venue is great but I am afraid not everyone is fully informed of all the issues that have caused the salt losses. Going off in all different directions can only confuse the issues. The ideas should be filtered through the SCTA, Save the Salt or a special committee to evaluate all the specific problems we face and not confuse our already confused government agencies. Then we can promote a letter writing campaign to the various agencies with hard facts.
 The historic preservation is a good idea that should be looked at as long as no strings are attached.

Offline BobDcuda

Re: SPEED WEEK 2015 Canceled - Hotel Reservations?
« Reply #617 on: July 23, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »
I have two rooms reserved at Montego Bay but DID NOT get an email from them about refund.  I gave them a call, which I suggest you do too if you've not heard from them yet.  It will take them some time to get the refunds out, but if you didn't get an email yet you probably also won't get a refund.

Offline dw230

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #618 on: July 23, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
Don't forget the fact that ANY construction, or even heavy equipment on the salt requires prior approval from the BLM. Ask Ron Main what happened a few years ago when he brought a road grader out without permission.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #619 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
Bob,

You have all the details correct but for the location. The place you speak of is across from the Shell station and the high school ball field, where the famous Patio Inn was located.

I was a victom of some of the same nefarious polices from the owner. They checked me out following a Cook Shootout then back billed me for an extra room for three days. Don't like the place but the SCTA has a multi-year contract.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #620 on: July 23, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
  Nope, this was near the Patio but was much newer, cleaner and definitely had a well known chain sign.  Apparently they were not a Franchisee per say, but paid The chain a fee for using its Name, and Reservation system and I am sure had to maintain the Corporate Standards.  As I recall from the post's of people who called Corporate were fed the typical b.s. that they would take note but it was not under their control.
  I noticed the name change in the next year or two.     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #621 on: July 23, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
  With all the abuse He has taken from the BLM and For all He has given in time, money and effort, I think SCTA/BNI and the USSFRA should co-present a VERY LARGE Trophy and Perhap's  a Full Scale Personal Likeness Salt Statue to Ron to be admired by all.  I would suggest that He quickly move the Statue inside.
  Thank's Ron, for all you have given. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »
Maybe its time the BLM stops selling slurry from the flats and actually tries to save the salt by adding without subtracting a larger amount first?

In the immortal words of Dr. Seuss:
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better.
Its not!
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline dw230

« Reply #623 on: July 23, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
The statue could be similar to the Dale Earnhardt likeness at Daytona Speedway. Ron could forever stand guard to the salt flats by being placed along side the bullet ridden sign at lands end.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #624 on: July 23, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
DW, you are right. I am suggesting that it would be part of the mitigation required for the mines to operate and therefore they would have to deal with any construction permitting, costs, etc. associated with the project if they want to continue to mine. Of course it would have to be written in to their mitigation requirements which would mean we need to plant the seed with the university geologist that it or something else could be a possibility that they would have to analyze and put in to their official independent report. It needs hard evidence to back it up. The idea at this point is just a possibility. It's my belief that the reports to this point offer no solutions or possible mitigation efforts. The closest they have come is the salt laydown project experiment which clearly means that, at one point at least, someone actually recognized that there is a problem. Fixing the problem should in no way lay on the shoulders of the racers. Our task should be opening up their lease contract to have it revised before 2023 (or whatever date it was that it is up for renewal again) so mitigation can be worked in.

And I agree, Ron has made a massive effort to date (THANK YOU RON!). But if the salt flats are 36,000 acres it is going to take somewhere in the area of 13,000 of those belly dump trucks to add 0.1" of salt across that whole area. A monumental task that can't be done my him alone.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #625 on: July 23, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
As long as we're talking about the concept of a second mining company, here's some stuff about said second firm.  The copy is from Ron, and there are a number of separate emails appended to the end of the original.  I have not, for reasons of respecting the privacy of those that sent them, reproduced them here.  If there is valid reason to print them I will at least give them the opportunity to approve my publication of them.

This should clear the air.
“The Bounty Project” video was a fundraising ploy to try to get investors. This latest Bounty project update should stop all the rumors that the Landspeed Louise post has started.
Thanks
Ron Main   818-998-7848

June 11, 2014
Bounty Project Update

http://www.mesaexploration.com/s/NewsReleases.asp?ReportID=658303&_Type=News-Releases&_Title=Bounty-Project-Update

Mesa Exploration Corp. (TSX-V: MSA, OTCPK: MSAJF) ("Mesa") announces that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has rejected the 90 square mile Bounty Project potash prospecting applications located on the salt flats of western Utah. Mesa has appealed the decision with the Interior Board of Land Appeals (IBLA). The BLM cited land management concerns stemming from the California Historic Trail, a 168 year old wagon trail that transects the project. The rejection prohibits any development for at least 10 miles on either side of the trail, a buffer area which is unprecedented in the United States, not even National Parks have this level of protection. The BLM decision essentially creates a de facto wilderness covering tens of thousands of acres of public, private and Utah state land without input or consultation from Federal, State, or County agencies nor the public.

Foster Wilson, CEO of Mesa, commented on this action by the BLM: "This restriction imposed on this large area by the BLM is unprecedented, unwarranted and, we believe, unlawful. The BLM is tasked with finding multiple uses for the public land that they administer, the mandate being the best use of the land for the benefit of the most people; this decision satisfies a narrowly focused special interest group. The area is open to mineral entry, has no wilderness or road-less designations however the California Historic Trail is designated as a "high potential route segment". As observed in the field and in air photographs the trail segment on the project has been obscured by wind, snow and rain over the decades and has also been driven on and crossed by modern vehicle traffic. This action by the BLM was taken to create a horizon to horizon withdrawal from development to preserve the view as experienced by the pioneers in the 1840s. Mesa believes that a low impact potash mine can co-exist with the trail; the potash resource is a shallow brine aquifer and can move under the trail, similar to how groundwater can move in an aquifer. We plan to rigorously defend our potash prospecting applications, to develop the area, subject to further studies, into a profitable and environmentally sustainable potash mining operation, generating long term Federal and State royalties and much needed employment opportunities for the residents of the region".

Mr. Wilson added, "Mesa has the support of U.S. Senators Hatch, Lee and Heller, U.S. Congressmen Bishop and Amodei, several Commissioners (from the three counties effected) and Mayor Carter of West Wendover; we are currently in consultation with these individuals and other interested parties to assist with our appeal of this action by the BLM".

The IBLA appeal process is estimated to take 12 months to be resolved, meanwhile Mesa will focus on advancing the Oatman gold project in Arizona and the Belmont silver project in Nevada.

About Potash
Potash (potassium oxide) is an essential nutrient for all living organisms. Humans need potassium to build proteins, break down and use carbohydrates, build muscle, maintain normal body growth, control the electrical activity of the heart and control the acid-base balance. It has a vital role in plant metabolism, growth and adaptation to stress and drought and pest resistance. Adequate amounts of potash must be available in the soil for its uptake by roots to ensure that crops achieve economic yields of acceptable quality. Currently the U.S. imports 85% of its potash needs; Utah is one of only three states in the U.S. that produces potash.

About Mesa Exploration
Mesa is developing and exploring a portfolio of mineral properties in the United States where it controls significant land holdings in proven mining districts with excellent access and infrastructure. Mesa currently has 16.8 million shares issued and outstanding, 50% of the shares are controlled by insiders and institutions. For further information please visit our website at www.MesaExploration.com.

ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD
MESA EXPLORATION CORP.

(signed) Foster Wilson, President and CEO

For further information call:

Corporate Communications, 775-379-3993

Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.

Thanks for the follow-up question.  The Save the Salt Coalition has been actively opposing the Mesa Exploration Bounty Potash Project since it was first proposed a couple of years ago.  We are also seeking to work with the preservation community to join forces on the Bounty Project and saving the BSF.

It should be noted that the mine would be located in Pilot Valley, not the Bonneville Salt Flats.  The two locations and underground aquifers are geologically unrelated.  The Bounty Potash proposal has many regulatory hurdles, approval is not assured and a decision by the BLM is many years away.  The link is simply a video generated by the Mesa Exploration Corp which is seeking to fundraise money for its proposal.  Frankly, it was ill-timed from their perspective given the fact that Speed Week was just cancelled and well-timed from our perspective since it is creating such outrage.

Best,

Stuart

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Talking about that second mining company that might start up operations northwest of the racing area, here's some information about the listed stock of the firm.  Ron Main sent it to me today.

Jon,

Bounty Salt Stock

Is now Trading at one cents a share Tell everyone for $100.00 they, can score 10,000 shares

Mesa Exploration
OTCMKTS: MSAJF - Jul 23 1:27 PM EDT
0.010.00 (5.38%)

Thanks Ron Main
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #627 on: July 23, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
 I emailed this reply to Ron after I received his email above.

Ron,

I guess my concern stems from the fact the news release you posted states that U.S. Senators Hatch, Lee & Heller, U.S. Congressmen Bishop & Amodei, along with the local County Commissioners & Mayor of West Wendover all support the project. That and the fact that Mesa is appealing the action taken by the BLM.

Respectfully,
Michael LeFevers
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #628 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
I just heard the barn door slamming: The mule is at 3 Mile! :cry:
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline Eldo

• New folks
« Reply #629 on: July 23, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
Visa feels we have a pretty good case to get our money back, less one night ($185USD), for each of our 2 rooms, which is what I was initially expecting. We have submitted all our confirmation documentation from Choice Hotels, and we will find out more in the coming week, but Visa has told us that "Visa  International Law trumps hotel policy" to quote the Visa representative we talked to (which is almost unnerving in itself on a certain  level...) and that we should be positive about our chances. I'll post the outcome when this is resolved (one way or another...)