Author Topic: Speed Week pics  (Read 12086 times)

Offline DCarr511

Speed Week pics
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
I didnt see a thread for links to this years event so I figured I would start one .... Here is a link to the pics I took ...

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y287/DCarr511/Speed%20Week%202008/

It was great to meet the new people I did and to meet up with some I have met before. I've already started making my plans for next year.

Offline Freud

Re: Speed Week pics
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
I'll add several.  More to come. I promise.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline comp

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
 thanks

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »
thanks much.

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
Here's what I took at the bottom of this page.  There's also in-car video from Gary Hart's AA/BGALT record run.

http://www.diyautotune.com/racing/bonneville_speedweek2008.htm
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics guys........

Offline t russell

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »
Thanks.Scott,Gary and crew you done darn good.
terry

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
These fotos:
Pork Pie before he destroyed his camera and lenses. That is heart breaking.
Kepners Fun Meter
Todd Dross, Marcia Holley, Scott Guthrie and Debbie Dross at the 2 Club banquet.
I was thrilled by the representation of the ECTA. That's a long ways away but still doesn't match
the effort required by the Kiwi's and the Aussies.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
Freud .. It was good to meet you in SSS's pit ...

I dont know where or when that thermometer pic was taken, but we felt it was rather comfortable at the 2 mile on Course 2 Mon. - Thurs. but then again ... we did have the AM shift except for Monday when we worked all day.

I must have met up with Pork Pie before he destroyed his camera and Lenses .. I couldnt imagine that happening and I have cheap stuff.

Thanks for posting the pics !

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »
I am about to confess..........
Nothing that I did compares to the disaster that Pork Pie experienced.
I started shooting at B'ville in 1965. This year was my biggest disaster.Any fotog worth
knowing will confess to another fotog when he screws up but he's really not interested
in everyone knowing his flubs.
On the Salt I wear  prescription polaroid sunglasses. I have been shooting a D 100 Nikon
for a long time and I trust it. This year the control was moved off of P (program setting)
to S (shutter priority). The last time I used shutter priority the setting was 1/40 of a second.
That made all of the images 5 stops over exposed. I generally try to shoot portraits with the
subject cross lighted or backlit so that they aren't blinded by direct sunlight in their face.
Then I reduce the shadow with a programmed strobe that eliminates all but  1/3 of a stop of the shadow.
The 97 images that I shot the first day were all over exposed. My test shot was done on the seat of the car.
When I checked it everything looked great. It just didn't have a full sunlight area that was very large and
so I never caught it. My sunglasses weren't of any help either. In the room that night. when I downloaded
the images I was blown away and went looking for the problem. I found it and was ready for the next day.
Butt-----------how I will never know, the camera remained set the same way and so I shot the second day
with the same results. If a tuner screws up he hopes he corrects the problem, Sometimes he does and
sometimes he doesn't.
I did a similar situation photoing President Carter in Plains, GA. I shot 36 images with no film in the camera and after
I went back and reshot the stuff, I opened the camera back without rewinding the film. Trust me, you lose 7 frames when
you do that. I think if I had gone back for the third time the Secret Service would have hauled me away. I saved one
frame and that was all that was needed.
So I have about 300 images that have some useful info------the sky may be able to be saved in Photoshop
by someone smarter than am I, but at this moment I have figured out that the best solution is to not cry in
my beer. I switched to champagne.
So I will post some images of which I can be proud and  bare ass (that's out of my character LOL ) confess that
it's hell to get old and know that I have friends in the Kilo Club that would have saved me all this embarassment
by shooting for me. But I did beat him in the rev limiter contest.
Marcia Holley was the first woman in the 2 Club. That hapened 30 years ago and it was 9 years before Tanis Hammond
was the second lady to qualify. Marcia came back this year to celebrate that 30th anniversary. I did a lot of fotos
of her with her friends and some people that she newly met met. So, many of the images I post this year will include her.
After all, I was with her when she ran her first license pass on Jack Dolan's  scoot and ran 173 on what was to be under 125 MPH.
I was also there when she did the 229 record in Don's bike liner. Of all the things I have forgotten, those were not part of them.

I want to THANK some people for the generosity they demonstrated. ( These are just the instances that were close to me. I am certain
that it happened with others but I don't have knowledge of them.) Todd and Debbie Dross run at Maxton. Both have established records
above 200 MPH and proudly wear their ECTA 200 Club hats. Jon and Nancy Wennenberg allowed them to get licensed to run 200 MPH
with their brand new Kawasaki. It was an experience they had dreamed of but really didn't expect. Even though it didn't rain
this year, they would have been able to walk on water after that.

Then Stainless let Todd get a 197.500 run on the bike with which his son had established a record above 200 MPH the day before.

Folks........that's love and respect that is never to be expected but is quite common at B'ville.

I burned down and came home today. A lot happened that I didn't see but this was  a remarkable year. I met new people
that tolerate me and saw some others that have been a huge part of my B'ville life from the past.

I have had over 20 birthdays on the Salt and this year I had Bret Kepner with whom to celebrate. ( OK, so we celebrated a few days early) Same month and day but he didn't have a paper route during WW I like I did.

Overexposure.........hell that's nothing new to me.

FREUD

Stainless gave Todd a push start to help the clutch with that tall gearing.

Nancy and Deb on Nancy's new scoot.

Tanis and Seth Hammond with Marcia Holley.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:44:24 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »
We arrived back in Virginia last night.  I am finally able to spend some time online and catch up after little league football.  We left Thursday last week and hit Denver.  Did the family vacation thing, Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Idaho, and on to Bonneville.  We arrived Sunday night for Salt Talks. Stayed the week and left on Thursday morning for Wyoming to let the little guys dig for fossils. 

I have to say that the "Bonneville Experience" was one of the better times I have had.  Bonneville was sensory overload.  There was so much to see and so much to learn.  I have to give out thanks to many people who made our visit something to remember.  First of I have to say THANK YOU to Freud for his honest warm welcome and continued kindness.  Freud has been going to the salt for 45 years and still has the energy and excitement of someone visiting for the first time.  Someone please find a recorder and sit with him untill you get all his memories down.  His memory is unbelieveable and his stories are something to cherish.  Jon and Nancy, all I can say is you are "good people" and you have no idea how much it meant to us to let us hang out in your pit area.  Even if it did mean moving toilets around.  Everyone beware if you hang around Jon long enough you will get put to work.  :)  My boys had a great time and want to go back next year.   Todd and Debbie, I am so happy to see you get licensed up and ready to go out and give the salt a real workout.  Pork Pie, sir it was a pleasure to meet you in person.  I learned quite a bit in our short conversations.   To all the others, please forgive me,  I have a hard time with remembering names, but thank you for making our time memorable and I believe giving my wife the bug to want to perhaps give this sport a try.  :)  One last thank you to Wes (starter on the special course) if you are online or if someone could pass along my thanks to him I would appreciate it.  He made my boys feel like part of the event and they really, really had a good time!  I have loaded a few pictures on photobucket with another couple hundred to post up.  They are having problems with bulk uploading so I will work on them over the next week.  In the meantime take a look and if you want the full size raw or tiff format file shoot me a note and I will email them out. 

Joel, Lucy, Matthew and Ethan

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w244/norvirginia/public%20bonneville/

Here are a few recent ones I posted up.  Todd thanks for the idea on how to take the first one.  I have more I can send you.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:02:10 AM by wolcottjl »
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline aircap

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
Would anyone mind passing along the story of how Pork Pie lost his photo equipment?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

landracing

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
Aircap Im not sure if pork pie lost his equipment, Freud's post said he destroyed his equipment.

I wish I had known, I had my Nikon D200 sitting in the truck, I didn't even take it out of the bag, and I did not take ONE photograph while at Speedweek.

By the way, did anyone get a photo of my bike B209... I sure didn't take one...

Jon

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:01 PM »
No fotos of the scoot but I do have one portrait for you.

FreuD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of car number, 7934 run in E/STR class? Any pictures of it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.