Author Topic: Salt camera  (Read 3491 times)

Offline jimmy six

Salt camera
« on: August 05, 2023, 09:10:46 PM »
There doesn?t seem to be much of a change over the last 3 days from view shown? I hope it?s better than what we are seeing..
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline slowalex

• New folks
Re: Salt camera
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 10:35:31 PM »
I'm not sure if it's true that there is no improvement. Look at the 24hr period when things went from decent conditions, to terrible for cars racing of any sort, unless you have m+s rally tyres. For example, take a look at the video for mid afternoon, say 2023-08-02 15:00 or a little later.

https://meso1.chpc.utah.edu/station_cameras/archive/bflat_cam/bflat_cam_20230802.mov

Then look at a video from around the same time of day on 2023-08-05. The surface does seem to be improving, but perhaps not fast enough for racing before the end of the week. But I'm not familiar with the local climate at Bonneville. Maybe after most of the standing water has gone, it can dry out much faster in a few days.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 10:53:13 PM by slowalex »

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 12:24:09 AM »
If you check the camera 10 or more times a day like I do, you'll see LOTS of change.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline rockracer

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Time-lapse shows hardly any improvement.  Oh well,  W.O.S. is a good backup. 

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 11:05:19 AM »
Looks a lot better this morning.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 11:57:14 AM »
Looks a lot better this morning.

Yes it does.

Offline rockracer

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 04:58:02 PM »
Does anyone have the link to the camera at lands end  ?
There's an article about it but no link.

Offline aircap

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 08:15:09 PM »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline rockracer

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 01:08:28 AM »
That one isn't it.  This one is on lands end.

Edit:::::::: found it.  https://chronolog.io/site/BSF101
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 01:27:32 AM by rockracer »

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »
That is a great view.  I never knew of that one.  It is a view of part of the race area or at least pointed in that direction.  It will be interesting to keep tabs from that area of the salt.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 10:24:17 AM »
Here's a morning pic across the week. I finally threw in the towel on Saturday, and of course things looked better Sun morning... Best of luck to everybody, go fast.

Offline rockracer

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 07:49:46 PM »
That is a great view.  I never knew of that one.  It is a view of part of the race area or at least pointed in that direction.  It will be interesting to keep tabs from that area of the salt.

Maybe Slim can put it on the home page below the other one.
😉😉

Offline pdaddyvr6

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 01:57:34 PM »
Finally looking decent at lands end again, just looking at the camera anyways. Bit of rain coming in the next couple days. Hoping the best for the next couple events.............

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 04:56:04 PM »
 Water on the salt boy can things change quickly. When we arrived in Wendover after our 4 day journey West the first thing we always do is head to lands end and see how things look.  We arrive on Tuesday giving us plenty of time to be ready for the salt to open on Thursday for pit set up. At lands end the salt was dry. The the zero marker for Long Coarse was set up just into the salt a short walk from lands end it was dry and dam it sure looked good.
    Then the rain came Wednesday leaving behind deep water at Lands end.  Using binoculars it was easy to see many miles out water was coving the salt in the direction of the pits.  Of course that Zero marker for long coarse was also now in water. So much for our plans of running long.
    Monday when we were allowed to set up our pit space we drove threw a lot of deep water looking for a dry surface which we actually found across from what was once the long coarse at the mile 4 marker. This area was a bit like wet mud but not in water. We set up our pit and hoped a combo coarse could be ready for runs on Tuesday our car was inspected and gassed up were ready to run.
     Monday evening the winds kicked up and that we hoped was good sign. Tuesday morning we head to the salt and now at lands end the water was much lower boy things were looking up or at least we thought so. When we arrived at our pit it was now covered with water!  The winds just moved the water around. Learned something that day. A ton of effort was put forth by the SCTA workers so that a short coarse was ready for runs on Tuesday. Sadly for us we needed 4 miles for what we had hoped for it was now time to head home. Looking forward to next year with fingers crossed.
   I wrote all of the above for one reason if there's any water on the surface and its looking like things might be good beware of the winds.
 Ronnieroadster

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 09:16:31 PM »
There's a big nasty swirly thing that lost it's way & is coming up the west coast, not something we want to see.
  Sid.