Author Topic: Return to Thunderdome, the Saga Continues  (Read 132019 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Return to Thunderdome, the Saga Continues
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
In the Navy we had something called "The plan of the day".  I've already posted what happened this morning, so here's what's going to happen this afternoon, according to "The plan of the day".  

We're in the process of removing all the dyno equipment.  Next step will be to install the outboard carrier bearing on the Muncie transmission. (BTW the Muncie transmission was a gift from my buddy Don Vesco.)  Then we'll hang a chain to the rear wheel.  We'll lift the liner, pull all the support boxes out from under the wheels, front, rear, sidecar, and set the liner on the ground.  Then we put John McDougall in the cockpit, (he's the only one who will fit, the wife used to fit, but she don't anymore)   :)  I'll put the Muncie in low gear, will fire the bike, and adjust the springs on the slider clutch so the clutch starts to lock up at about 2500 rpm.

Keep in mind we drive off from the line, no tow up or push.  It starts making some real hp at 2500 rpm, so the acceleration is pretty doggone good from a dead stop.  We'll also see if the transmission stays in gear with load.  I almost forgot--to do this the rear brake will be applied solid.  We always kinda sneak up on the rpm to ensure the brakes are going to hold.  If the brake doesn't hold, it might get pretty exciting for John and my neighbor across the street..  :D  Same thing will be done for second gear, checking the lock up rpm and whether it'll stay in gear under load.  Same drill for top.

Stainless had to go somewhere for an hour and a half or so.  Should have all the troops together again soon for the last tests on the Vincent streamliner before the Bub Meet.

Max    

Offline joea

« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
how much % nitro was that...?

Joe :)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »
Awesome..post the dyno sheet.. :cheers:

Offline WEAL

• New folks
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
Hey Max
This sounds very good. Many thanks to Lenny and John and of course Stainless for all the help. Wish I would have been there to see the dynotesting. Anyway - if Donny doesn´t break it on the first ride I will test it myself and finally get a better timingslip than the last german on the salt!

See you all in a couple days!

Cheers

Hartmut

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »

No nitro Joe, just alcohol.  Keep in mind at 7000 rpm, and probably around 28 lbs. boost, alcohol seems to work just fine.

John, no read out sheets.  This water brake is probably fifty years old.  The hp is computed by rpm, pounds of torque achieved at that rpm, adjusted at sea level (we called the local airport, and when the dyno runs were made, we were at 1407 ft. altitude).  The rule of thumb is 15% hp reduction through the running gear.  This was also computed, which gave us a 581 hp. at the crankshaft.  When we run Bonneville, we should have an honest 425 hp to the rear wheel, taking into account the altitude. 

Max

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »
Awesome..post the dyno sheet.. :cheers:

as Max said, this is as close as we can get to a dyno sheet....
This is the 5000 RPM pull to check the final jetting... this one was 275 Ft Lbs or so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9S8IREBnU
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »
And the 7000 RPM test just finished processing...

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRYxZ7__3Y
Stainless

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
 :-D

Well as Murphy would have it, we didn't get around to adjusting the slider clutch to check and see if it stays in low and second gear under power.  Three issues prevented some more run ups to check it out.  First, there was a frayed throttle cable, which has been fixed.  Second, the rain came up again two or three times.  Third, Stainless had made arrangments for a local fire extinguishing company to drop by and certify the four onboard fire bottles.  This they did.  Three of the bottles passed, one didn't, so I'll have to get one more new bottle.  They were going to do the certification for nothing, but I gave them an Andy Jackson so they could go get themselves a Big Mack anyway.  A couple of nice guys.  They were awed by the bike.  Most guys here in Kansas haven't seen a streamliner in real life.  So I made them happy and they made me happy. 

Tomorrow morning we'll be adjusting the slider clutch for lock up.  John and Lenny have to get back home, so tomorrow will be their last day.  My kudos to:

John McDougall
                  Lenny McKnight
                   Robert Steele

Without their help I probably would have made it to Bonneville, but boy, oh boy, they really made life easier for me, and the bike is much better for the many long hours they put in.  John and Lenny were out in the garage most often by 7 a.m.  and didn't hit the sack until after 11 p.m.   

Thanks guys.  I owe you big time.

Max 

Offline joea

« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
wow.........581 is over twice the hp Sam used to go over 340 mph.......

and then you have many more potential hp with nitro........

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
Hey Joe, stop using the N word  :x
Let's get a couple of good passes in the books before anyone goes looking for the can....  :wink: 
I think if it lives through the Bub, Max is taking it to WoS.
Stainless

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #325 on: July 16, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
  :wink: 

We pretty well wrapped it up today.  It was a cool morning, around 68o.  I guess all in all we started the bike five or six times, making run ups to check lock up speed rpm both in low and second gear.  The clutch is working great and locks up at thirty two hundred rpm.  This will give the liner good power to initiate acceleration from a dead stop quickly. 

Lenny and John are headed back home now;  Stainless is back in his garage working on his bike; I'm gonna stretch out on the sofa with a Pepsi, a bag of Fritos, and watch a little T.V. now.   

See ya at the Bub,
                                 Max

Offline windjammer

• New folks
« Reply #326 on: July 16, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
mad max seems to be closer than he's ever been to have some good runs on the salt. the testing done the past week has been positive , engine, clutch, transmission all prove out.  it's time he has some good luck!!!  he had an expert crew help him test and tune, i have never seen better help in any form of racing!!!   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:58:08 AM by windjammer »

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
mad max seems to be closer than he's ever been to have some good runs on the salt. the testing done the past week has been positive , engine, clutch, transmission all prove out.  it's time he has some good luck!!!  he had an expert crew help him test and tune, i have never seen better help in any form of racing!!!   

As I've said many times, there's no such thing as "luck".  The mechanical parts are either right or they aren't. 

The fuel system is one of a kind.  I built it, and as Crew Chief have always called all the shots on tuning and testing.

Max

Offline rockstar

« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Have been following this closely and am very glad to see and here it run.
Now go and do what the best from blighty (all be it heavilly modified) does best,kick butt!!!.
All the best to Max and team.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2009, 02:51:01 PM »
I will be there at BUB to see you go fast Max, along with the others! Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!