Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Build Diaries

Speed Queen II with 92 c.i. twin

<< < (2/3) > >>

ronnieroadster:
So you started out as half a V-8 now its going to be half a four.  :-o

ronnieroadster:

--- Quote from: Stan Back on February 22, 2024, 05:43:05 PM ---One's in front -- ?

--- End quote ---

If the car is heading in the right direction down the coarse the answer would be  :|      yes ?

kiwi belly tank:
I'm a big proponent circulating coolant during warm up to prevent excessive heat buildup at the exhaust valve seat. Stationary coolant can spot boil in place if left long enough, that's also why I run a thermostat with a bypass circuit.
  Sid.

Jack Gifford:

--- Quote from: ronnieroadster on February 22, 2024, 07:20:26 PM ---... So you started out as half a V-8 now its going to be half a four...
--- End quote ---
But Mickey Thompson beat me to it about 65 years ago, with his blown two-cylinder Pontiac. It made 257 HP on 25% nitro at only 5,200 RPM- was shaking the dyno too much for more revs. But it did set a B'Ville record.

Jack Gifford:
As usual, progress is slower than imagined.
Cylinder head ready to go, patched up to not leak any coolant.
Cracks in block TIG welded, but stress (of detonation and of welding) caused #2 main bore to be out-of-round and oversize. So I used my "pseudo align bore" contraption to bore it round again, at .030" oversize. The #2 main cap isn't distorted, so I'll just use .015" brass shim stock under the block's #2 main bearing half.
Instead of sourcing a smaller blower, I'll run the 14-71 very slowly- 19% of crank speed. This required building a jackshaft for two stages of belt reduction drive, which is ready to go. 30mm wide belts in place of the original 3".
The crank is still at Moldex, don't know yet if it can be used.
Regarding the ugliness in the photo- the stresses destroyed the tight press fit of the lower ends of the steel sleeves, so a bunch of JB Weld was needed to close coolant leaks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version