Author Topic: Class Question????  (Read 2712 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Class Question????
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
🤔 Remove the body and run it as a lakester.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 07:14:22 PM »
Why not a Nascar class?

Well, how would you run a 58 Mercury against the almost-real today's cars?  Or a 38 Ford.  How would you break them out?  And, on top of that, how'd you think they'd like conforming (for their own good) all the changes and requirements that would be needed for their own safety.

Want to know how fast one would be.  You're welcome to enter the "Time Only" classification, and, if you follow the rule book, you can run all you want for the bragging rights.  You can call it the world's fastest 19?? NASCAR.  Whatever you wanted to do.

Join the fun, we can read the results and congratulate you, too.

On another note, why doesn't NASCAR allow Streamliners?  Or the World of Outlaws run 28 Ford Street Roadsters?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 07:16:02 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline gowing

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2023, 07:42:37 PM »
On another note, why doesn't NASCAR allow Streamliners?  Or the World of Outlaws run 28 Ford Street Roadsters?
:roll:...  but seriously

We have all seen Nascar cars (and trucks) go thru some extremely violent crashes and the drivers survive.
I'm sure that they are built to higher safety specs than some of the cobbled together belly tankers I've seen.

There are many of old Nascar spec racing cars out there and I would guess that a lot of their owners would race them
if permitted.

Offline 37 ROADSTER

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2023, 07:56:24 PM »
We had a retired cup car run a few years ago,it spun and flipped.The car was torn up pretty bad and the driver was hurt pretty seriously,they are built to crash on pavement, it's very different than the salt. I was not impressed with its construction.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
Well they are allowed to race if they meet or exceed all the SCTA/BNI safety specs... they run in Time Only because there is not a class they fall in....

but there are cars out there for sale
https://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=17965.0
https://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=18936.0
https://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=18875.0
https://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=18804.0

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gowing

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2023, 08:18:11 PM »
... they run in Time Only because there is not a class they fall in....
Exactly!
but... if there was a class that they fall in?

Offline gowing

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2023, 08:28:40 PM »
I'm just trying to understand why they are excluded?
If it just a matter of welding a couple of more tubes in the roll cage to make the scta happy, I don't see that as being much of an issue.
but what do I know...

The only constant is change.
Our local dirt track didn't have a mini-stock class, until they did.

Offline will6er

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2023, 11:18:05 PM »
My wife and I went to the Indianapolis Speedway Museum. Joey  Logano's car was on display. My wife said she would feel better with me in my 1953 Studebaker than in that NASCAR.

Will Willis
#6302 GC

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2023, 12:08:23 PM »
Gowing... do you have a rule book? 
If you had one of the 3 wheeled Gold Wings what class do you think you would fit in?  Time only if you met safety specs... Or should the BNI make a class for you so you could have a record?
The idea behind LSR is you build to class rules and race in a class.... Same rules apply in Nascar, Sprint Cars, mini stock and SCCA.... in fact every racing organization.
As stated before nascar will not allow you to enter a streamliner in their race... why, because it does not meet their body rules.
Nascar vehicles are not based on stock cars... If there was a Nascar class, then the guys with older nascars would bitch that they needed their own class because the new one's are more aero... where does it end?  50 new classes for nascar? one for each year? oh and then 50 more for trucks... and next year new ones for this year's cars...
Start a new organization for nascar racing on the salt... all those old race cars will show up and get shot at the records....  :evil:  Maybe nascar will sanction the race... check with them they will likely tell you aktion086  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 12:11:44 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »
Gowing... do you have a rule book? 
If you had one of the 3 wheeled Gold Wings what class do you think you would fit in?  Time only if you met safety specs... Or should the BNI make a class for you so you could have a record?
The idea behind LSR is you build to class rules and race in a class.... Same rules apply in Nascar, Sprint Cars, mini stock and SCCA.... in fact every racing organization.
As stated before nascar will not allow you to enter a streamliner in their race... why, because it does not meet their body rules.
Nascar vehicles are not based on stock cars... If there was a Nascar class, then the guys with older nascars would bitch that they needed their own class because the new one's are more aero... where does it end?  50 new classes for nascar? one for each year? oh and then 50 more for trucks... and next year new ones for this year's cars...
Start a new organization for nascar racing on the salt... all those old race cars will show up and get shot at the records....  :evil:  Maybe nascar will sanction the race... check with them they will likely tell you aktion086  :cheers:

Ill second that  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline gowing

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2023, 10:37:58 PM »
So... I think I got it,
You guys believe that there are too many classes already and that there isn't any room in the rule book for any more.
Right?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:56:38 PM by gowing »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2023, 11:11:30 PM »
No, I don't think you do understand....
The SCTA/BNI is not obligated to have a class for race cars from other sanctioning bodies... racing is based on production cars and trucks, roadsters, coupes and 2 special construction categories...
I don't care how many classes there are... as Stan is fond of saying maybe we should have classes for bikes with red seats, black seats and blue seats... and calico if you can't go fast enough in the other classes. 
The same holds for all racing organizations, there is a rule book, folks that want to race build cars and bikes to fit in those classes, at least the BNI lets vehicles run if their safety requirements are met, if a vehicle does not qualify for any class, they run Time Only.
No other racing body will let vehicles participate that don't meet their rules, the BNI and USFRA will...
What color is the seat on your bike?  lol8   
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2023, 04:11:43 PM »
Hang in there, Stainless.  More than three answers should be enough.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2023, 11:05:53 PM »

What color is the seat on your bike?  lol8
Threw that in for you Stan...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »
If you do a little research and look at the rules you can run an old NASCAR winner, you just have to select the correct year car.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20