Author Topic: Salt conditions  (Read 10160 times)

Offline Sporty Dan

Re: Salt conditions
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 10:41:21 AM »
Here is the latest update on Facebook about the salt conditions! Sounds like it's looking great! Can't wait to get there!

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
13h  ?
Speedweek Update #1 (7/31/21)
TODAY WAS OUR FIRST FULL DAY ON THE SALT. DRAGGING STARTED THIS MORNING ON COURSE #1. BELIEVE ME, PICTURES DO NOT SHOW HOW GOOD THE SALT ACTUALLY IS. IT TRULY IS THE BEST SALT IN A LONG LONG TIME. DESPITE WHAT YOU MAY HAVE HEARD, COURSE #1 IS LIKE A HIGHWAY ALL THE WAY DOWN. NO TRUTH TO THE RUMOR THAT IT IS ROUGH FROM THE 3 TO THE 5 MILE! COURSE #1 IS FINISHED. COURSE #2 DRAGGING WILL BEGIN EARLY  TOMORROW.
WE ARE SHARING THE SALT WITH THE ROCKET CLUBS SO WE'RE TRYING TO STAY OUT OF EACH OTHERS WAY. THEY'LL BE FINISHED TOMORROW, THEN WE CAN MOVE ALONG TO COURSE #3. AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE FIRST PICTURE, THE SIGN AT LANDS END HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A DUPLICATE. ALSO IN THE PICTURES YOU CAN SEE THE TRASH, WHICH AGAIN PROVES, "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID".
THERE HAS BEEN WEATHER IN THE AREA BUT THE SALT REMAINS UNTOUCHED. IT TRULY IS THE BEST IT HAS BEEN IN MANY YEARS. ALL THAT'S MISSING IS YOU!
Pat McDowell
SCTA President
Bill Lattin
BNI Chairman

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:38:26 AM »
Okay - my "report" on the salt.  I drove around quite a bit yesterday and sure enough, it's good out there.

First of all:  the start lines for 1 & 2 are only a quarter mile or so from Land's End, so traffic is likely to become kinda messy with the access road close to the "staging" area.  SLOW AND CAUTIOUS and remember to yield to race vehicles that are being moved.

Course #3 is a short short course for rookie runs and such, and it's around the bend of the dike.  I didn't drive much over there but what I saw was fine.

Okay - the long course.  It is good.  I didn't find any brown spots (where the mud was showing through thin salt) on the course, and from the 5 to almost the 8 is smooth and dry and white.  But drivers had better have things well under control by the 8 - - - because at the 8 1/2 it's all over and the crunchies start.

The turnoffs start after the 5 'cause before that point the salt is smooth enough that any ol' place to turn out is okay.  Turnouts are every half mile.

The pits were pretty smooth with no dragging, but that was yesterday.  Maybe they're even smoother now.  Pits have an entrance every 1050 feet and go on for about a mile. 

Enola Gay Cafe will be the food vendor, VP is the fuel truck (R.I.P. Rick Gold, by the way), there's at least one new SCTA trailer, and Ron Christensen and I will be on 89.3 or 89.7 or whatever frequency we can find that's quiet.

I've said enough for now and am going to greet Craig/Honey Buckets.  Speaking of HB, if you've arranged for a private toilet/sink for your pit:  Honey Buckets will be stashing a bunch of units near the pits and they'll help you get yours, and they'll also visit to do the paperwork.  If you want a padlock to keep your unit pristine - ask Honey  Buckets for one.

Deep enough!!  See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »
Thank You Slim,
Were headed out tonight, Do you know if the Ice truck will be on the salt??

Thank You again,
Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
I can only presume that the ice truck will be here, in the vendor area.  I just now saw the VP semi motoring in.  Jim Dunn is dragging a light drag around the main pit entrance, and I see there's a little pass-through drive near Impound and vendor area -- that's marked "Lattin ONLY".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
"Latin ONLY" -- I had two years in high school -- I'll have to brush up on it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
I'll give you this stuff here instead of in a new topic:

The Turbinator suffered catastrophic damage on the dyno a few weeks ago and will not be at SpeedWeek 2021.

The Vesco #444 Little Giant has about 1100 hp available - it's a battery powered car now running a pair of Tesla motors.  E classes are divided by weight:  Under 500 kg, 500-1000 kg, and above.  The car will be running E3 (over 1000kg) against the Buckeye Bullet's 314.958 from '04.

The fuel truck guys told me that they brought 50 gallons of nitromethane.  50 gallons.  That is, 10 5-gallon pails.  What?  I tried to clarify what they said.  Was that gonna be enough?  Then I mentioned that to another racer who went to the truck, confirmed what I thought I'd heard, and said that he was gonna ask some of the fuel racers if they had brought their own.  If I hear anything of interest I'll let youse guys know.  By the way:  $270/gallon.  Burn 15 gallons on a run and that's about 4 kilobucks made into cool-smelling noise.  You pays your money and you has your fun.

Danny Thompson is going to drive the 75 Ferguson 'liner, Doug and Frank are here with the 9997 Salt Cat for sale.  Valerie Thompson will be riding the Turbo Tiger ZX14, and Mike Kilger and the 505 roadster is here.

More later.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 05:54:52 PM »
By the way:  $270/gallon.  Burn 15 gallons on a run and that's about 4 kilobucks made into cool-smelling noise.  You pays your money and you has your fun.

As of 2019, John Beck posted in my Roadster group on FB that the 911 runs 70-75% Nitro, and burns 36 gallons of mix in three miles.

Also, I believe I read that they will try to take it to the four mile this year.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline racergeo

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 07:59:31 PM »
  Something doesn't ad up. I think nitro is about $1200 per 55 gal. barrel. In 5 gal. pails it probably is more per gallon but not $270

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 08:07:22 PM »
I see Speedweek fully under way, outhouse heading to the 5mi...

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 12:21:05 AM »
Yes there was a little wind storm late this afternoon... on the way on the access road well past the bend, I was almost T-boned by a couch... yep you read it right... my guess it came off a pick up truck on I-80... it was tumbling, endoing, flipping and traveling at about half wind speed.... maybe 45.  I saw it, hit the gas, clobbered into one of the cushions but the couch passed behind the Bockscar by about 5 feet.   
Lots of easy up tangles laying around... several porta potties down...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 12:27:18 AM »
weather station recorded 68 mph gusts

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 12:50:39 AM »
Yes there was a little wind storm late this afternoon... on the way on the access road well past the bend, I was almost T-boned by a couch... yep you read it right... my guess it came off a pick up truck on I-80... it was tumbling, endoing, flipping and traveling at about half wind speed.... maybe 45.  I saw it, hit the gas, clobbered into one of the cushions but the couch passed behind the Bockscar by about 5 feet.   
What's the current record for blown couch?  :roll:
  Sid.

Offline salt27

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 02:20:21 AM »
What's the current record for blown couch?  :roll:
  Sid.

I believe the current record is somewhat SOFT and even though it was LAYING DOWN on the qualifying run it should have enough Cushion to easily Set the record.   8-)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 07:58:36 AM »

about 20 years ago we had a so tough storm on the salt....when I was on the way (out) to landsend I was overtook by an porta potty......my speedometer showed me 55+ mph....so this porta was in a real hurry to get off from the salt.....

the photo from Stainless shows a very interesting cloud formation.......you don't see them very often so far north....

maybe all three courses need now at first a proper clean up......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
There's been a couch about 100' from the pavement for the last few days.  I noticed it - thought it'd been left there for some purpose like viewing the mud flats.  It was off-white (color) and was on the south/east side of the road.  Maybe that's what chased you - not one from the freeway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com