Author Topic: The Hayabusa V8.....the ultimate LSR motor for F class?  (Read 17642 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: The Hayabusa V8.....the ultimate LSR motor for F class?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »
Hayabusa V8=$51,946

Since most of us are on budgets. I would think it would be a lot cheaper in the long run, to buy the ebay motors and learn how to use that yellow smelly stuff with that sniffing stuff. But then again you might not know what to do with all the torque you would develop.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »
One of the problems with the motorcycle motor approach is that when you get it out to 1500 cc's and and make the mods so that it is making 600+ hp the tranny and the clutch won't take it. Ask Rick Yacouci. I remember several years ago when he was running the 1000 cc motor he was dead in the pits because the output shaft snapped off!

If I was looking for the killer 1-1/2 liter killer motor I would call Jon Romero and have him do one of his Hondas. I think that I remember him saying that his little screamer was making over 650 HP at the wheels which would be well over 700 at the crank, and his car has been very reliable, at least from the motor end. Now one of his motor hooked to a DG300 Hewland and you are ready to start setting records in just about any class.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
The car they are putting the Hayabussa V-8 in is called the Radical SR-8.

If you would like to HEAR one and go for a 'little cruise' around the Nurburgring in Germany, click on the youtube link below.

Turn those speakers up!!

I think the Radical SR-8 holds some kind of an all-time record for road-going cars on the Nurburgring 12.8-mile course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtyZosuPNE   

JGMagoo

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 12:01:19 PM »
One of the problems with the motorcycle motor approach is that when you get it out to 1500 cc's and and make the mods so that it is making 600+ hp the tranny and the clutch won't take it. Ask Rick Yacouci. I remember several years ago when he was running the 1000 cc motor he was dead in the pits because the output shaft snapped off!

If I was looking for the killer 1-1/2 liter killer motor I would call Jon Romero and have him do one of his Hondas. I think that I remember him saying that his little screamer was making over 650 HP at the wheels which would be well over 700 at the crank, and his car has been very reliable, at least from the motor end. Now one of his motor hooked to a DG300 Hewland and you are ready to start setting records in just about any class.

Rex

Not looking to run one, but out of curiosity what Honda motor are they running?  The B16 and B18 motors are pretty stout from a street racing and drag racing standpoint, so just wondering. (for those unfamiliar, these are 1600cc and 1800cc respectively - 1.6L and 1.8L for the car guys)

I remember hearing about somebody running a Japan only Toyota MR2 in the 1L class, but don't recall the starting displacement.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
I remember hearing about somebody running a Japan only Toyota MR2 in the 1L class, but don't recall the starting displacement

http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah.htm

This may not be the guy you were talking about but these guys de-stroked a 2L to make a 1.5 and ran set a record @ 205 in the blown mod sports.......and they did it in a stock bodied car and competed in the GT and Mod Sports with the same car......
Very impressive
I am shooting for their record in a few years.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 12:54:54 PM »
I remember hearing about somebody running a Japan only Toyota MR2 in the 1L class, but don't recall the starting displacement

http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah.htm

This may not be the guy you were talking about but these guys de-stroked a 2L to make a 1.5 and ran set a record @ 205 in the blown mod sports.......and they did it in a stock bodied car and competed in the GT and Mod Sports with the same car......
Very impressive
I am shooting for their record in a few years.

That's the guy, couldn't remember the details. I love the first line on that site :)

Since you let the cat out of the bag, what car are you going to run?

I remember thinking when I first saw pictures of that car that a Honda CRX has a lower CdA than the MR2, but personally I would run a Nissan 240, old enough to be relatively cheap, low CdA and a relatively huge engine bay so could run in several engine classes and plenty of room for cramming in turbos and what not :)

I'm not really a car guy, but every so often see something that makes something click in my head.  Way to many bike projects going on right now to even contemplate something else!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
240 SX??

XF McMeekin Don McMeekin 8/05 156.778

Pretty fast for flathead-powered gas coupe

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »
McMeekin put a large, I think close to 4 liters, Nissan IRL V8 in the 240SX this year and as I remember ran over 235. I heard that he got the motor from someone in Michigan that bought all of the engine stuff at the old VDS shop in Texas and he has enough parts and pieces to make you almost anything from a Cosworth DFV to a Chev. IRL motor. Probaby not cheap.

Rex
Rex

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
I am surprised the 240 was able to compete in the GC class, I would of figured it would be considered a GT.

Since you let the cat out of the bag, what car are you going to run?

The Fiat X19.
There are cars out their with better stock Cd #'s (Fiat=.38) but the car is very narrow with a "stock" frontal area of a VERY good 16.6 (9 inches more narrow then the 91 MR2) and should be a good deal less because of the 5 inch shorter roof and the 4 inches off the tires/ suspension. The drop in height alone should yield somewhere about a .09 improvement in Cd making it somewhere in the .29 but I suspect is better because the roof chop minimized the dip behind the back window (a huge cause of drag) and will soon have a new nose that will get rid of the up turned air shovel nose the X19 was born with.

This is only on paper and only the salt will prove if my BS is correct.

Anytime you are making 3X-5X+ the HP a motor was originally designed for (not to mention the added weight of a bike powered LS car) you are going to run into the next weak link. Rick was one of the first to make that sort of power in a busa motor and made many of his own parts and I am sure along the way was the first to discover many of the stock parts limitations. You can now buy billet output shafts and external output shaft braces.....you can also buy clutches and trannys they say are rated @ 1000 hp.

I think that in some respects bike motors have gotten a bad rap because of this.....it is so easy to add a turbo kit and make 275-350+ Hp on a stock bike but I hear people whine because they break something that was left stock but most people only see HP and not that you need to have stronger parts down the road. (I drive a non LSR turbo busa as well and am speaking of the motorcycle community). 

The honda is a good motor and because of the rise in import drag racing has made aftermarket HP parts widely available BUT the DG300 Hewland is a very expensive gearbox (I think in the 10K range) and the stock hondas trannys, clutch and especially the axles, can not handle that sort of power without some sort of high performance upgrades as with the busa motor.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:31:04 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 12:35:40 AM »
Well if you don't like the DG300 idea, (I think that you can find used ones for less than $10K) you can make a bellhousing, not a big chore, and then use a 5 speed Jerico of such. Probaby price competitive with all of the special high horse power drive stuff you would need for a bike motor. ?

Either way you do it, once you are done you will find it was not cheap!!!

Rex
Rex

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 12:46:32 AM »
Rex is right.  There is no cheap way around it. DG 300’s are very popular as many GTP cars used them and the vintage racers are buying them up.  But if you look around you can find them. You could also use a Wiesman transaxle like Al Teague.  I think they made a 7 speed at one time for the F1 guys.  Or you could go with a Liberty or Jerico.

Either way speed is expensive.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”