Author Topic: 32 Roadster-who prefabs cages?  (Read 13339 times)

Offline Stovebolt

Re: 32 Roadster-who prefabs cages?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »
yes, it is, I can't remember who  I got them from. 
That would be me ;)
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
The 1930-31 Fords had a stamped-in pocket under their seats for storing the side-curtains.  It is nicely contoured about an inch below the frame rails and allows you to legally put the driver down lower than a 1928-29.  I don't know what other roadster have this feature, but it helps get thedriver out of the air.

And it's just another reason to use a 30-31.  They don't have the coupe' pillar on the cowl which cleans up that area.  The fiberglass (or massaged and filled steel)  28-29 bodies seem to be cleaner in this area also.

Selecting a Street Roadster body because it's what you like or have may give you avoidable penalties to overcome in a most-competitive class.

Street Roadsters and Altered Roadsters (I still call them that) have progressed by builders taking full advantage of the rules to produce cars that often don't look like what the rule writers envisioned, but are far more efficient than traditional designs and completely legal.

Somewhere out there is a long-hooded, narrow Willys-Knight, Simplex or Whippet (or Dodge Fast Four) just waiting for someone to discover how to go fast in these very-competitive classes.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »
And Mike --

The white roadster was lowered last year.  The "shocks" were solidified on the back about 3 inches lower and the front spring dearched about an inch.  And it spun on its first run.  Also the first run with a posi.  Took it out.  The next two runs we're back and forth at our goal of 210, with each timed clock within .2 MPH of each other.  On to the trailer and home.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 11:49:46 AM »
Stan:  see Hot Rod DeLuxe March 09 for a major feature on the Dodge Fast Four V4F/STR from last year's Speedweek.  The engine compartment seems extremely long to someone building a '27 T.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
That's my point.  And the passenger compartment may be longer, too.  That's another problem with the '27 -- they often look like someone transporting an oil derrick.

The five main bearings in the flathead Dodge aren't a penalty in V4F, either.

Stan Back

Offline slepe67

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
WOW, that's some great info.  You guys keep posting anything roadster in here, I'll get the popcorn and a note pad!

I did look over all the pics Stovebolt sent me.  (Thanks again, by the way!)  The only big bending I'm going to have to do are on the front hoop, and the shoulder hoop that wraps around the top part of the cage.  Then there's the head cage...but, most of this I'll be able to do with a good notcher.  SHOUDLN'T be TOO bad...I say that now;)

I've been pondering a T-10 4 speed.  DAMN, the Y-block to trans adapters I found were $800!!!!!!!!  You wanna play, I guess you gotta pay!
1932 FORD 5 WINDOW COUPE, ORIGNAL
302 SBF, 4 Speed Top Loader

MONTANA BORN & RAISED, STATIONED IN FL

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 11:11:32 AM »
1932 FORD ROADSTER ('GLASS)
1956 MERCURY 292 Y-BLOCK
XO/STR
NAVARRE, FL

Maybe we've already covered this with you . . .
Y-Blocks can't run in XO -- reread the rule.

Stan

dwarner

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »
From the 2009 rulebook:

"XO class consists of inline overhead valve (OHV), flathead inline and flathead V8 (except Ford & Mercury) and V-12 engines, 1959 or earlier design, up to 325 cid. Examples include Chevrolet, GMC, Hudson, Packard, Buick, Lincoln and Cadillac.  Foreign engines are NOT included."

Color highlight mine,

DW

Offline slepe67

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »
From the 2009 rulebook:

"XO class consists of inline overhead valve (OHV), flathead inline and flathead V8 (except Ford & Mercury) and V-12 engines, 1959 or earlier design, up to 325 cid. Examples include Chevrolet, GMC, Hudson, Packard, Buick, Lincoln and Cadillac.  Foreign engines are NOT included."

Color highlight mine,

DW

No, I haven't heard this before, but I have now.  So, I should be in D/STR not XO/STR. Sh*t.  So, the way I THOUGHT the way that read was pre '59 engines...I guess I need to read up what the hell an inline OHV engine is then, that's what I thought I had...well, I feel stupid.    Guess it's time to find a 5.0 or a 351W and be competetive.

Well, at any rate, thanks for the info.  Back to the drawing board.

Offline slepe67

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
1932 FORD ROADSTER ('GLASS)
1956 MERCURY 292 Y-BLOCK
XO/STR
NAVARRE, FL

Maybe we've already covered this with you . . .
Y-Blocks can't run in XO -- reread the rule.

Stan

I just remembered, we covered the difference between STR and GR.  Haha, yes, I am THAT slow to catch on.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:05 PM »
If you want a competitive Ford-engined Street Roadster, the past few years might recommend you stay with V4, V4F and XF!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
On a brighter note -- there's nothing wrong with running a Y-Block.  Hell -- there're people even running Packard V-8s  (I'd love to drive that Vega!).

But remember in your build -- you have to meet the safety requirements of the class, not how fast you think you might go.

Stan

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:21 AM »
From the 2009 rulebook:

Color highlight mine,

DW

No, I haven't heard this before, but I have now.  So, I should be in D/STR not XO/STR. Sh*t.  So, the way I THOUGHT the way that read was pre '59 engines...I guess I need to read up what the hell an inline OHV engine is then, that's what I thought I had...well, I feel stupid.    Guess it's time to find a 5.0 or a 351W and be competetive.

Well, at any rate, thanks for the info.  Back to the drawing board.

Don't worry you're not the only one to have made this mistake.

A friend of mine tried to run a Y-Block in the XO class out here some years ago.

The wording in the rule-book is not the clearest

Just build a car to run, and have fun. The record will always be out of reach unless you throw a bucket of resources - time and financial - at your project.
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »
Could somebody put some demensions to go with the pictures? I'll probably make a cage for our 32 next year but I seem to have a bad habit of making cars that fit only me. thanks

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
I didnt know how much I didnt know about street roadsters, great stuff ! :cheers: